Battery problem...?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Unless you have a schematic and other info don't test the regulator/rectifier. For now just unplug and test the stator.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
stator read about 13 to 14 ohms... hmm But charged the battery, ran it and it tested at about 12 volts

The stator should have 3 legs that you need to test. You must test each leg against ground. There should be no reading to ground from any of the three legs. If there is the stator is bad.
Then read the resistance between the 3 legs of the stator. Each reading should be close to the others. If there is a reading between any of the legs that is an open reading, the stator is bad. If you're getting between 13-14 ohms on each leg and it passes the leg to ground test you've probably have a bad regulator/rectifier.

Sounds like you're not charging. I'll assume you ran the motor at least 2000+ RPM to confirm there was enough RPM to develop charge?
There is a process and you must completely charge the battery and have it load tested. The problem with the chemistry and mechanics of lead acid wet cell batteries is that when you put them in particular situations they can be damaged and loose there designed properties. This is why it is good to methodically do these tests as the three main parts of a charging system generally work together and effect each other. You're working with an electro mechanical chemical system. :D

Last edited:

alanyluan

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok so this is really strange. I charged the battery and rode the bike for a bit. I let it sit for a couple days and would take it out every once in a while and the engine would fire perfectly fine for about a week. I finally rode it today and it was doing great until I was riding home and it just died on me while I was in gear. I tried firing it up and it wouldnt crank or even make the clicking noise...

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Did anything else loose power when that happened

Sent from my Pocket Rocket with Tapatalk

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You may have a bad kill switch. Very common on the FZ6. See if you can flick it on and off a few times.
Is there power to the gauges? Do you have running lights with the key on?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
stator read about 13 to 14 ohms... hmm But charged the battery, ran it and it tested at about 12 volts

12 volts is the battery itself (low I might add) , if the system is charging it should be close to 14 volts at 5,000 RPM. Can you check the voltage at the battery terminals once running and see if your getting above 13 volts at 4-5,000 RPM's? If it stays at 12, that's just you battery and your chargong system isn't working..

Sounds like your running off the battery alone until it gets well below 12 volts then dies.

(As stated earlier, my bike would crank with as little as 8 volts- BUT was charging)

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
12 volts is the battery itself (low I might add) , if the system is charging it should be close to 14 volts at 5,000 RPM.

Sounds like your running off the battery alone until it gets well below 12 volts then dies.

(As stated earlier, my bike would crank with as little as 8 volts- BUT was charging)

He's been dealing with what seems to be a charging problem from the beginning But this could be a different problem. I'd like to know if it just died or as you said the battery/charging system isn't proper.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Did you ever get the battery load tested to rule that out????

I suspect as Cliff posted, its not charging, your just reading the voltage off the battery. You charge the battery to capacity and ride the bike until the battery is well below 12 volts and the bike dies.