Battery Life

Battery life

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Rumpole of the Bailey

Reaction score
Visit site
I am interested in the life of your batteries. Given that winter is approaching, this is normally the time a half sick battery dies.
Can you let me know the time your bike was manufactured (ie came out to Aust by Boat) and when you replaced the battery.
Cheers.

Oh yeah, no feedback on The FE story as yet, any info?

Rumpole

Stumbles06

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, my bike is dated '04, and I've owned it since October '05 (brand new), and still running the original battery. :thumbup:

Being in Sth Oz though, our winters aren't bad, so I ride all year... the half-dead battery doesn't get a chance to "die".

:rockon:

brad81987

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm on year three on my FZ6. My 2007 Yamaha snowmobile is still on the factory battery (much harsher conditions mind you!). Keep batteries charged with a good quality maintainer, especially when it gets cold, and they will last a long time. Letting batteries self-discharge during a cold winter is the quickest and easiest way to kill them, save for intentionally running them dead.

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm on my original (purchased Nov, 2007). I had to perform CPR on it a few months ago after I let it sit idle for about 5 weeks. Next winter, I gotta get me one of those battery tenders so it doesn't happen again.

Ridgeback

Wakin up the neighbours
Reaction score
Visit site
Only had mine since Nov last year but it started without fail even at -10 for weeks on end (which is more than I can say for the car......) So I'm guessing it must have been replaced at some stage. 04 reg with 18,000 Miles.

Debaser

Reaction score
Visit site
3 Years with 43,000 Kms on the clock, riding in temps ranging from -15c to +35c and my orig battery is still going strong. The starter still ticks over very quickly. I spend most of my time > 5000 RPM so it's always getting a good charge while riding and the bike never sits still for more than 2 weeks (snow permitting).

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
3 Years with 43,000 Kms on the clock, riding in temps ranging from -15c to +35c and my orig battery is still going strong. The starter still ticks over very quickly. I spend most of my time > 5000 RPM so it's always getting a good charge while riding and the bike never sits still for more than 2 weeks (snow permitting).

what he said, bar the -15c temperatures! but at 41000km's, my battery is not showing any signs of stress...not like my Ducati, that thing eats batteries!

Have also noticed, since i have a "spare" FZ6, that the bike can sit for a long time, without being started, and it always kicks over first thumb of the starter button, with all lights ablaze...

:thumbup:

BusyWeb

Reaction score
Visit site
Mine is 06 model, bought last year (09).
And looks like stock battery when I checked last time.
Had none issue with it yet.

buzzbomb

Resident Lurker
Reaction score
Visit site
My bike is a 2005 model, and I replaced the battery after 3 years, just as the battery was becoming a little sluggish. I've been using the old battery for pumping up tyres, and it's still going strong in it's current role. It's not hard to carry, and it has enough kick in it to run the air compressor. So I'm getting my money's worth out of the battery. It probably would have kept going but it's one thing I don't have to worry about, as I know it's running a new battery.

Nobby

Reaction score
Visit site
07 model,brought new Sep 07.53,000km no problems, but I do ride it every day(atleast 5 days a week):DI think thats the trick.:thumbup:

sonic

Reaction score
Visit site
I too still have the OEM battery in my FZ6 (2004 Model) but it is getting tired. I'll be replacing it with a 26oz lithium battery soon enough!

buzzbomb

Resident Lurker
Reaction score
Visit site
I too still have the OEM battery in my FZ6 (2004 Model) but it is getting tired. I'll be replacing it with a 26oz lithium battery soon enough!

A lithium battery? Cool, do you have any links for lithium motorcycle batteries, Sonic? It's the first time I've heard of them, and I'm intrigued!

BB

GConn

Squid hater
Reaction score
Visit site
I think that it's recommended to replace car batteries every five years. Can't really think any reason that would make a bike battery different. :confused:

Rumpole of the Bailey

Reaction score
Visit site
my car batteries rarely last 3 years. If I get 5 out of the bike battery I will be stoked. Given the harsh nature of the Australian climate, I was asking my bros and babes down under for their opinions.
Cheers

rjo3491

Missing The Fiz-Sometimes
Reaction score
Visit site
Here's a question for all. I have an '07 with the original battery (which at this point still appears to function as new). When I put the bike away for the Winter - usually mid November to early March [here in Michigan], I pull the battery out of the bike and let it vacation on a shelf in our 65 degree basement (oh, and I charge it once a month or so).

Is this overkill? Would it be enough to leave it in the bike in the garage with a trickle charger connected. This would mean exposure to temps as low as -10F (-23C).