battery/alternator problem?

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
I usually turn off engine at intersection(signal~red), the vehicle didn't start immediately.

I observed a weird smell when I shifted the gears quickly(0-60 in ~5 seconds), did i fry something(but this happened this morning), the issue is from long back.

I took it to autozone to test it, we couldn't test it properly, but i get 12-13v reading he said, didn't had time to test the alternator though.

I've installed 12v charger, direct to battery terminals, but the problem is before install this device.
Previous owner stated he kept on tender in the season, but he also have the same issues.
I drove 350 miles within 2 weeks, and i drive it everyday to work.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
How old is the battery, dual headlight mod, idle speed?

The battery needs to be pulled from the bike and LOAD TESTED to start with.

If it passes, get a volt meter and check voltage with the engine running at the battery. At normal idle, single headlight, the bike about breaks even voltage wise. 12.8 is a fully charged battery. You can check on the battery charger terminals but won't be quite as accurate(hopefully thieir nice and tight).

At about 2-5,000 RPM's voltage should jump into the 13 to low 14 volts to be properly working. (Hold RPM's steady for a second or two for the VR to catch up)

Please check those and report back..

*As for the smell, may or may not be related. More detail is needed, is it all the time, once, occasionally, does you header have crap cooked on the bottom of it?

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
*As for the smell, may or may not be related. More detail is needed, is it all the time, once, occasionally, does you header have crap cooked on the bottom of it?

I accelerated through 6 gears pretty quick for one time(suddenly) after a normal riding and i felt that smell once i went for a halt. And the body is clean, had my wash last week, but no crap on the bike.

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
How old is the battery, dual headlight mod, idle speed?

The battery needs to be pulled from the bike and LOAD TESTED to start with.

If it passes, get a volt meter and check voltage with the engine running at the battery. At normal idle, single headlight, the bike about breaks even voltage wise. 12.8 is a fully charged battery. You can check on the battery charger terminals but won't be quite as accurate(hopefully thieir nice and tight).

At about 2-5,000 RPM's voltage should jump into the 13 to low 14 volts to be properly working. (Hold RPM's steady for a second or two for the VR to catch up)

Please check those and report back..

Will do the testing today or tomorrow, O'reilly asked to leave the vehicle overnight to test the battery, but autozone brought a voltage meter to test it.
I didn't start the engine at that time of testing though, the results came 12'ish.

BD43 is not done yet, and now i remember, the ignition/ON turns on the DRL right, and the signal is for around 2 mins wait, but it should not drain that much, at the end i started with the electric start itself. I'm not sure about the battery age, as i got this vehicle 2 weeks ago, and i forgot to ask the previous owner, i think i have to disturb him again.

I'm counting my fuel/mpg for this fuel-up, so planned to go at posted speed limits, except this one time, i revved through all 6 gears in few seconds.

I'll check the terminals today.

Thank You very much.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I would personally feel more comfy riding down there and raising the tank for the load test.

THEN, disconnect the battery just so their machine doesn't damage anything electrically related. Probably over cautious, but.

If it passes, hook the terminals back up, start the bike and check the charging voltages Again,12.8 up to low 14 volts @ 5,000 RPM's max. (13.8 is fine too)

"12. something" doesn't help any.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I usually turn off engine at intersection(signal~red), the vehicle didn't start immediately.

Wait....^^^^^ You usually turn your engine off at red lights? How often? If you are doing this a lot you're probably dumping your battery because it takes the largest amount of current to restart your bike and the charging system would have a hard time if you're doing this... :confused:

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
Wait....^^^^^ You usually turn your engine off at red lights? How often? If you are doing this a lot you're probably dumping your battery because it takes the largest amount of current to restart your bike and the charging system would have a hard time if you're doing this... :confused:

Usually when it is a big intersection and i just got red and have to wait for more than 1-2 mins.

If i see automatic/IR readers(whatever they are) on the signal light poles, I don't turn off, as they adjust the time based on the number of vehicles etc.

I'm used o 100-200cc bikes in India, and I got that habit from there (muscle memory), but i can understand, there will be a DRL(we don't have DRL rule in India, atleast 4 yrs ago) and the battery should start a pretty big engine.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The FZ6 does not have much headroom regarding the charging system and since a restart uses the most current from your battery than any other function you are probably draining the battery. If you are doing town/city driving and using lower RPM you're charging system will not provide enough current to replenish the battery if you are repeating restarts and you will eventually fail to start. The bigger motor requires more current to restart. If you push start your bike,you will see it is a lot harder than push starting the 100-200cc bikes you talked about... :)