Bar End Mirrors

thisisbenji

Reaction score
Visit site
After doing a search I couldn't exactly find the answer to my question.

I'm looking to put some bar end mirrors onto my FZ6. I'd like to keep a weighted bar end, while getting mirrors that clamp over the end. I noticed that our stock bar ends are threaded but most of the after market ends are not. So I was wondering what I could do to mount bar end mirrors?

I was hoping to go with the style mirror

Yamaha FZ1 FZ6 FZ600 FZ700 FZ750 Black Bar End Mirrors Handlebars 7 8" | eBay

But I would like to maintain a threaded weighted bar end.

I also found these, pricey but they seem like they might be good.

http://www.e-securedsite.com/RHINOM...rFor=&collection=4|Barend Sliders and Mirrors

The only thing is they don't mention weight, and I'm not sure if the eBay mirrors will mount.

Last edited:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
There are quite a few solutions:

1. (Cheapest) Move all of your controls and grips inboard and mount the mirrors to the exposed areas between the grips and thick parts of bar ends. The mirrors will actually clamp around the inside parts of the bar ends.. they're the same diameter as the handlebar. You'll see what I mean if you unscrew one of the bar ends.

2. Get RhinoMoto bar ends, which have cut-outs for bar end mirrors. These are $80 and do not weigh as much as original ones. They're just over 200 grams. Original ones are just over 300 grams. There is also a very good chance that the mirrors you want to mount will not fit in the groove. You'll need to do some filing.

3. Find a machine shop in your area and ask them to cut a groove into your stock bar ends to make the mirrors fit. This should set you back $30-40 and should not reduce the weight very much.

thisisbenji

Reaction score
Visit site
If I go with option #3, how do I find a suitable machine shop? Obviously I'll google machine shop, but is there something to look out for to find one that would be best suited for this type of job?

Criminal Pilot

City Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I went with RhinoMoto bar ends for both my FZ6 and my FZ1, and am very happy with them. Like Erci mentioned, be prepared to do a little bit of filing on the mirrors, depending what kind you get. For me, it was little more than 2 minutes with a nail file out of a swiss army knife, and it fit like a glove. Didn't even have to repaint it because the filed parts were covered when they slotted into the groves.

Turns out great! Best part is that the mirrors don't vibrate even the slightest amount. Compared to the earthquake that is the stock mirrors, it's a world of difference. No more pulling in your clutch to find out if that blur of light is a car or a UFO. :rolleyes:

Mugwump

Uncle at large
Reaction score
Visit site
I would just call the local machine shops and ask. Some may not want to do such a small job but keep looking.
Did'nt find out about RhinoMoto bar ends till well after I had the machining done. Think I would go that route next time.

arsity

Reaction score
Visit site
I went with Erci's option #1, with the same mirrors that you posted. Here is what they look like on my bars...

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Looking at those particular mirrors, I'm afraid it'll take a LOT of filing if you go with the RhinoMoto bar ends. They're meant for CRG bar end mirrors which use rather narrow clamps.

thisisbenji

Reaction score
Visit site
Installed the mirrors today. Installation was a breeze. The CRG mirrors and RhinoMoto bar ends are both top notch. The mirrors are probably the highest quality bit on my bike. Yet, as always there was one little snag.

As can be seen above the clutch lever almost hits the mirror. Actually the clutch lever did hit the mirror, to get the mirror at the proper angle I had to tilt my clutch lever down. Even after doing this the mirror isn't quite where I want it to be at.

Shorty lever time? :BLAA:

Anyways here are a few more photos of the bike with the CRG Arrows.

The last photo was taken after a bug flew down my jacket, causing an emergency stop. (Not really sure what type of bug it was, but it bit me.)

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Those mirrors look fantastic (and nice pics in general). Shorties do work very well on FZ6, but they may make you curse if you find yourself in heavy stop and go traffic.

Water Bear

Fireball
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Those are nice pictures. How'd you do that?

I like your tires :D and the bar end mirrors look nice. So how do they work? What can you see?

thisisbenji

Reaction score
Visit site
What's wrong with my tires?

The mirrors work great! No vibrations, you can see both lanes from each mirror as well. You can see the cars to the right of you from the left mirror and vice-versa. There is still a blind spot though when the cars are pretty much right next to me, but as long as I shoulder check when I switch lanes it's okay. Overall, there probably the best motorcycle mirrors I'v used yet.