Back from War, and loving my bike more than ever! (Have some Q's)

b.oryan

Reaction score
Visit site
FZ6 Community,

I recently returned from my deployment to Afghanistan. And now I'm out of the Army living in Southern California. (Los Angeles to be specific.)

The FZ6 is now my main mode of transportation. And I've been riding my bike more than ever. In about 2 months I've put on 2250 miles on it. And I don't plan to let up. I f***ing love this bike. It has done everything I wanted it to do. And then some. I have no problems with it at all. I just have a couple service questions and some other stuff I wanted to run by the community, before I go spend my hard earned money.

I don't want to take any chances with my machine, because living in Los Angeles; a motorcycle is the only way to live. I couldn't be stuck in a cage on these freeways.
  1. I'm at 12,250+ miles right now. And I've been looking online and around the forums and it seems as tho people are doing "Valve Adjustments" at around my mileage-point. But. My father is a mechanic and he said that I don't need to adjust them till about 18-20k. He's coming down to see me in about 2-3 months (and he said he'd do it), but knowing my riding, that's going to be like another 5-6k on my bike. I'm just wondering if it would be okay to wait and just do an Oil Change, or would you guys recommend taking it to a shop first? Like what's the worst possible scenario? Realistically. Because he can do it once he's here.

2. Besides Valve-Adjustments, is there anything else I should worry about? Or is an oil change about it?

3. Does anyone have any solid links for DIY Maintenance for the FZ6? The only engines I've worked on for the past 5 years were Army Disel engines. So I am ready to learn how to work on the FZ6, myself. I just need to kind'of know where to start.

4. What are some things that you regular fizz-users do on a daily/weekly/monthly basis to make sure your bike is in tip-top shape? In the Military we called it a "PMCS" Checklist. I'm trying to incorporate that type of mentality with my own fleet. (Truck and Bike)

5. Anyone think of anything I could have missed? Any comments or ideas for me would be great. I look forward to hearing from all the fizzers out there.

Thanks again. :rockon:

Last edited:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thank you for your service, and I'm glad you made it back safe and sound. Make sure you wear all your safety gear when riding, pretty much for the same reasons, just like you did oversees. And I mean full gear. For some reasons here, we have a lot of military coming home, hoping on bikes thinking that they are invincible, and ends in a tragic crash.

As far as valve adjustments, the manual states that it should be checked at 26,000 miles, however most who has performed them around that time have all been within specs. I have over 73,000 miles and I have yet to have an adjustment performed.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
FZ6 Community,

I recently returned from my deployment to Afghanistan. And now I'm out of the Army living in Southern California. (Los Angeles to be specific.)

The FZ6 is now my main mode of transportation. And I've been riding my bike more than ever. In about 2 months I've put on 2250 miles on it. And I don't plan to let up. I f***ing love this bike. It has done everything I wanted it to do. And then some. I have no problems with it at all. I just have a couple service questions and some other stuff I wanted to run by the community, before I go spend my hard earned money.

I don't want to take any chances with my machine, because living in Los Angeles; a motorcycle is the only way to live. I couldn't be stuck in a cage on these freeways.
  1. I'm at 12,250+ miles right now. And I've been looking online and around the forums and it seems as tho people are doing "Valve Adjustments" at around my mileage-point. But. My father is a mechanic and he said that I don't need to adjust them till about 18-20k. He's coming down to see me in about 2-3 months (and he said he'd do it), but knowing my riding, that's going to be like another 5-6k on my bike. I'm just wondering if it would be okay to wait and just do an Oil Change, or would you guys recommend taking it to a shop first? Like what's the worst possible scenario? Realistically. Because he can do it once he's here.

2. Besides Valve-Adjustments, is there anything else I should worry about? Or is an oil change about it?

3. Does anyone have any solid links for DIY Maintenance for the FZ6? The only engines I've worked on for the past 5 years were Army Disel engines. So I am ready to learn how to work on the FZ6, myself. I just need to kind'of know where to start.

4. What are some things that you regular fizz-users do on a daily/weekly/monthly basis to make sure your bike is in tip-top shape? In the Military we called it a "PMCS" Checklist. I'm trying to incorporate that type of mentality with my own fleet. (Truck and Bike)

5. Anyone think of anything I could have missed? Any comments or ideas for me would be great. I look forward to hearing from all the fizzers out there.

Screw the bike for a minute, Get a cold brew and chill.
Welcome back, and I Hope to all that is Devinne you are mental, Physically and socially in one piece.

Nelly

LesL60

Reaction score
Visit site
:america:Welcome back! And thank you for your service! All the gear, all the time. You survived your deployment, I hope fully in tact, and now you can enjoy the freedoms you protected; gear up and survive your peace. I hope and pray you find the work necessary to support your leisure, and that your FZ takes you there.

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for your service.

I'm pretty sure people get away with not doing their valve adjustments well beyond 12,000 miles. Probably around 30,000miles. They usually are within spec. I really wouldn't bother doing a valve adjustment.

This should help get you started on the maintenance you need to do.
http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-technical/28468-fz6-maintenance-chart.html

My guess is that you should replace all fluids. Still on original coolant? How long since a brake fluid change?

Also, don't forget to go through your bike and hand tighten whatever bolts you can get to.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:cheer::cheer::welcome: home!!:cheer::cheer:

Thank you for your service! If you're up in LA you could get down to SD and catch a ride with us! :BLAA: :D

ohgood

Reaction score
Visit site
tire pressure
chain slack and lube
wheel bearings
change oil/filter
bleed/purge brakes
gas
ride

12K is nothing. if you feel guilty while you're out there on the road, you could stop at a ducati dealer and see how much other bikes cost ;-) and continue your almost free ride on the yammi.

squid it up !

ctbandit

Fazer, don't even know er
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for serving. You won't need valves checked until 26k as was mentioned. If you're one of those people that like to do maintenance for the sake of doing it, i'd put new fork oil in and new coolant.

Things that probably need to be done:
check/ adjust-lube / replace drive chain
Change oil?
Fresh brake fluid

If you plan on doing the brake fluid, splurge and get some stainless lines, they make a noticeable difference.

2006_FZ6

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
First, thank you for your service!

Folks have given some really good advice about maintenance, so I'm going to put a spin on my advice. If you haven't taken a MSF course in awhile, kindly do so. I have been riding 40 plus years, give or take. I retook the course a refresher for myself, to skip the riding test and get a break on insurance. Time well spent. I knew 99 percent of what the instructors were teaching and demonstrating. But it was good to have the reinforcement back to the old brain.

I lived in SoCal 31 years and learned to ride there. I know how crazy the cagers can be out there. I still miss lane splitting my way to college every day on the 405. So be careful and ride safe!

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
FZ6 Community,

People do valve adjustments?

But:

Check brake pad wear
Coolant level in reservoir
chain slack
lube chain
check tire wear
rebuild the engine
fill with gas
find your key

I wouldn't do anything too crazy until 20k. Swingarm and steering bearings will be fine for a while too.

Last edited:

Spideyrex

Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome home and thank you.

Like previously posted, oil, brake fluid, coolant. Also check your tires not just for wear but age. Is there any cracking on the sidewalls? If so get new tires, there are some great tires out there, always better than the stock ones.

Fork oil may need changing too. it may not need it but it makes an improvement if you use thicker oil (depending on your weight, I am extra chunky, so i changed springs too)

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
Thank you for your service and congratulations on being home! (Congrats too on having the best bike ever made!)
The oil and filter changes, tire pressures, and chain lubrication are the main things. As I posted a couple of weeks ago a good friend of mine is a seasoned factory-trained mechanic, (working at two shops), and he says that he has yet to see the first FZ6 that needs a valve adjustment! (Use your own judgment) Safe riding and again, welcome HOME!

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
welcome home!!! +1 on everything said here... but check your gear too.. im sure you could use a nice new helmet or jacket... :thumbup:

massaudio

Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome home fellow soldier in arms !! Awesome you made it back safely !! I am right behind you in about a month. I don't have any maint. advice because I have yet to ride my own FZ6 I bought while I was out here, LOL Enjoy being home, wear all gear, and be safe brother !!!:rockon: