Attention Australian members!!

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I wear size 14.5. Those spiders better be tough if they wanna survive around me ... very few insects live to see another day after an unfriendly encounter with my giant slippers! :p

Lol! I used to keep a spider as a "pet"...well it made it's home in my living room window frame, and instead of killing it, we used to feed it, and watched it grow...till the dog saw it one day...CHOMP! no more pet spider! :D

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Lol! I used to keep a spider as a "pet"...well it made it's home in my living room window frame, and instead of killing it, we used to feed it, and watched it grow...till the dog saw it one day...CHOMP! no more pet spider! :D

I had a pet Redback
red-back-spider.jpg
(not the SA cricket type) in a fish tank , fed it Cocckhies , Flys , Moths & stuff :eek: Watched her grow rather large until , how I still dont know , a male got into her tank & she had 1000's of little Redbacks so I decided it was time she met the can or Mortein :(

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I wear size 14.5. Those spiders better be tough if they wanna survive around me ... very few insects live to see another day after an unfriendly encounter with my giant slippers! :p

This will resist getting crushed sometimes. Some of them seem to develop a particularly hard shell, that sneakers etc. will not squish. You need a work boot, or something hard, like a cold steel chisel:eek:.....lol...and they don't squish so much as "crack":eek:. They have a bite equal to about 10 green ants on the, "OMFG THAT EFFIN" HURT!:eek:" scale. There is an old wives tail, they can cause an ulcerous necrosis of the flesh, but according to spider bite folks, that is BS. Not a single proven case is available.
View attachment 31956

Bites from these nasty little buggas are very common, as they don't use a web, and loaf on their backside waiting for food, but like to go hunting for it, meaning they are much more likely to come into contact with folks.:D

Dan

Reaction score
Visit site
It seems, the "dangerous spiders" problem is the stereotype.

How about the sun? I heard the sun is very strong and dangeruos, there is a huge ozone hole above Australia, everyone has skin cancer and so on. The stereotype as well, is not it?

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

How about the sun? I heard the sun is very strong and dangeruos, there is a huge ozone hole above Australia, everyone has skin cancer and so on. The stereotype as well, is not it?

Nope...No such problem:thumbup:...Oh Wow! A bird just burst into flame outside my window:eek:......:BLAA:Sorry...couldn't help myself:spank::D:spank::ban:

The hole in the ozone layer is more over the Antarctic, but there was a serious skin cancer problem here. That now, however has been negated through education to a large degree. Unfortunately, people were made so afraid of the sun, that on the driest inhabited continent on the planet (hence one would think, the sunniest) there has been a spate of folks suffering from vitamin D deficiency.

The bottom line is, Slip, Slop Slap! Slip on a shirt, slop on sun screen, and slap on a hat.

Everything in moderation.....except twisties of course:rockon:.

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Dont get us wrong about the spiders , the Redback is DEADLY :eek: but a fairly small spider & now with anti venom death is very uncommon , the Sydney Funnel Web
funnel-web-spider.jpg
on the other hand is a NASTY piece of work & also very aggressive , it has been known to kill in as little as 7 minutes :eek: :( the anti venom can also have NO effect on some recipients...

Snakes on the other hand are a problem , i've lost 2 pets a Cat & a Dog to Eastern Brown snakes in the last 2 years :( :spank: both in my back yard & up north we have the Taipan/Fierce snake depending on where you find it but its the same snake , that sucker happens to be the deadliest snake in the world & the ONLY snake Steve Irwin was apprehensive about handling , bitten in the right spot & death is certain in roughly 3 minutes :(

Dan

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks guys, very interesting:thumbup:

Honestly, 2 years ago I considered the possibility to immigrate to Australia, but something went wrong...it was the financial crisis...anyway, I was not scared of spiders or sharks, I was afraid that I would not find a job, though I am a high level professional in project management.

By the way, Steve Irwin was the very cool guy, like other Australians like Mark Webber or the former Russian Kostya Tszyu

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Spiders, sharks, snakes....

If all the rumours about Australia were true, we'd never leave our houses :eek:

EVERY country has their problems. Other countries have aligators, snakes, football hooligans, tigers - anything. The rest of the world must be jealous about Australia because they make out we have everything deadly and we must be frightened to do anything ;)

Australia is an awesome country. Everyone should at least head down here for a holiday. They might never go back :thumbup: