Attention Australian members!!

zmeiaspas

The tall one
Reaction score
Visit site
I need some help/info :)

I know the Australian group on this board is pretty active so I thought someone may be able to help me out.

So here's the thing - I've been in the US for the past 5.5 years and my life at the moment is pretty darn boring. Photography, bike trips, racing and track days are cool and all but I just feel that I need a humongous change in my life just to feel alive again. I'm getting the itch to leave and go somewhere I've never been before and start everything from scratch for the third time in my life.

So, as you probably figured I'm considering different countries and Australia is one of them. What I'm looking for is some general information on the topic of moving and working in Australia. The questions I have in mind are along the lines of:

1. Are foreigners welcome or are they frowned upon by the general public?
2. How hard is it for a foreigner to be allowed to work there? Is it some convoluted long ass process that requires big companies and a lot of cash or is it more straightforward?
3. Can I come to Australia and start looking for a job and start working immediately after finding one or do I have to file documents in advance, wait a year till they get approved and only then be able to come? Only thing I know on the topic is that EU citizens need a visitor visa that lasts 90 days.
4. How's the software sector over there? What are some jobs/positions that are in high demand right now?

Here's some basic info about me:

I'm 24, I've got BS in Computer Science, I did my thesis @ eBay and they patented the project and I now have 2 years of very diverse experience in the software engineering field working for a small start up company.

I know I know - I'll sit on my ass and do my research but I'm pretty sure I won't find the answer to half of those questions unless I ask someone who lives there. So yeah - any info will be very helpful. I'm just looking to build the general picture :)

Thanks in advance guys!

Cheers!

Paulmcmoto

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi, I don't know the specific answers to your questions however the biggest hurdle you may find is the fact that the Australian government has agreed to severely cut back on the amount of immigrants allowed into the country.

Overall, we are a friendly and accepting mob however we have our "racial" conflicts as most multi ethnic countries do.

We have a gaping skills shortage that is only going to get worse as our mining boom gets back underway. I'd say you would have no trouble getting a job with your current skill set and, apart from the immigration hassles, I don't believe it is that hard to be allowed to work here.

Hope it all goes well for you.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
We dont know how lucky we are in Australia...lifestyle is relaxed, most people are affluent, if you go on World standards, most of our cities are very clean, and people are generally friendly, if your a pri**, and act like one, you will get treated like one, if you arte a decent person, with a friendly disposition, no matter where you come from, the majority of our population will give you a chance...unemployment is low, and for people with decent job skills, work is easy to find...

As for the intricacies of our immigration laws, i know nothing, except that if you have decent tertiary qualifications, you have a fair chance of getting a permanent gig in Oz!

Plus, our Woman are Gorgeous! What other reason do you need to come here and join the party.

Good luck.

:thumbup:

zmeiaspas

The tall one
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks a lot for the info guys! Appreciated! I'm really not looking to become a permanent resident but just to live and work there for a few years until I feel it's time to go somewhere else. I just want to experience the country.

Oh and yeah, Wolfman, I've noticed that too. I'm on a bunch art/photography forums and all Australian female members are drop dead gorgeous. :thumbup: If your beer's good too then I don't see a reason why the entire human population is not trying to move there :)

Last edited:

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Australia is the best place in the world to live. I was born in the Uk but have travelled through Europe, a little of the US (not much) and New Zealand.

So far, I wouldn't live anywhere else.

Each city in Aus is so different as well. Western Australia is the boom state at the moment because of the mining industry, but each place has its advantages and disadvantages. Perth is actually the most isolated capital city in the world :eek: It's quite laid back but can be a little lacking in nightlife etc.

Melbourne has it all, IMO, but is a little too large for my liking.

Sydney is beautiful but too big.

Haven't seen much of Adelaide so can't judge yet - only seen the city - nice shops :D

Brisbane - haven't been there.

Far North Queensland - spectacular.

Tasmania - roll on February - I'll see it then.

Do your research and, if you can afford it, come over for a holiday first. You'll never want to leave :thumbup:

BTW, might not interest YOU, but the Aussie men are the best looking in the world too ;)

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Come to Brisbane mate , the friendliest forum members ;) (Dont tell the other lot) , the BEST twisties :rockon: , the WORLDS best beaches , Australia's best fishing , hot babes :D & what else an I forgettiing Hmmmmmmmmm , Ohh yeah we also have the worlds best RUM :D :drool: :drool:

mxgolf

Motoup
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like I should join him! A good friend has been there three times and loves it. He rented a Harley and toured. :thumbup: to Australia :iconbeer::iconbeer: :D

zmeiaspas

The tall one
Reaction score
Visit site
^^ Come on - the more the marrier :D

On a side note, I just went through the points test required to be eligible for a permanent visa and I scored exactly 120 points which is the pass mark to be eligible to get a an independent permanent-resident visa :) I think I'll actually apply sooner than expected ... this is going to be one of those things that I do for ****s and giggle totally out of the blue with 0 expectations and if I get lucky I'll just buy me a plane ticket and move to the other end of the world :D:D

Haha I'm getting excited just thinking about it :) I know my parents (my mom is in Europe and my dad is currently in Asia) won't be too thrilled that I'm moving from the US to Australia LOL (instead of closer to home where home = Europe). Talk about an international family ... it runs in the blood I guess :D

Last edited:

zmeiaspas

The tall one
Reaction score
Visit site
Honestly, I have no clue. I've gotta do some in-depth research. All I care about is hot summers, warm winters, the big city, nightlife, beautiful beaches, and most importantly - good roads to ride. Nearby racetracks are a huge plus :)

From what you guys are saying Sydney and Brisbane sound pretty tempting. I need to do some research but that's gonna happen if I actually get lucky with the visa :)

Last edited:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If you want a decent race track close by...dont come to Adelaide! Although we have lots and lots of Twisties, just ten minutes from the CBD!

I would think that Sydney would be the best for lifestyle choice, but is probably the most expensive place to live...

Although, Humpy is right, Queensland has the burger with the lot...

:thumbup:

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I also forgot to mention that the IT sector in Oz is supposedly one that they (Oz Govt) are looking for migrants to work in so I dont think work would be an issue when you got here :thumbup:... Friend of mine came out from Ireland & got given a list of suitable fields of employment for residence to be granted & IT was near the top....

See , now that I have helped this much we really must be friendly towards foreigners , as long as they come in the front door :D

teamdan

Reaction score
Visit site
The worlds best rum was mentioned but everyone forgot to mention the beer........mmmm beer.....
We like a good drink here and anyone who can hold their own is made welcome by all ;)
Really don't think you would have many issues getting yourself a job in the IT industry or settling in to the Aussie lifestyle, you'll never want to leave that may be your only problem.

Good luck mate

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
How about spiders? I am not an Australian, but I heard that this is a very big issue there.

I have lived here 40 years and never been bitten! Dont know hardly anyone that ever has...They are about, but generally keep to themselves...

Brown snakes are more of a problem, oh and the Crocs, and the Sharks, and the Drop Bears, and the Collingwood supporters! :eek:;)

Azz

Angry Hornet
Elite Member
Reaction score
4zzdawg.com
I have lived here 40 years and never been bitten! Dont know hardly anyone that ever has...They are about, but generally keep to themselves...

Brown snakes are more of a problem, oh and the Crocs, and the Sharks, and the Drop Bears, and the Collingwood supporters! :eek:;)

Those friggin' drop bears are just ridiculous.

Spiders are a non-issue really, yeah, we've got the most in the world, but unless you're in the outback you generally won't be bothered by them. I was bitten by a redback when I was 6, and I'm still kicking :D

But yeah, Australia rules, I wouldn't think of living anywhere else in the world :D
And yeah, the area around Brissy is pretty awesome: We've got the Gold Coasts beaches, gold coast hinterland and north Brisbane riding roads, and rural towns are extremely close by if you're so inclined. Also, beer/rum.

zmeiaspas

The tall one
Reaction score
Visit site
I wear size 14.5. Those spiders better be tough if they wanna survive around me ... very few insects live to see another day after an unfriendly encounter with my giant slippers! :p