Arizona Rider Died on the Freeway

RuinedMortal

Military Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
A motorcyclist died on the Loop 101 late Tuesday night after he fell off his motorcycle and was struck by a truck then a car.

Around 10:30 p.m., a motorcycle rider was driving onto Loop 101 southbound near Northern Avenue when the rider lost control of the motorcycle and fell off, according to Timothy Case Jr., spokesman for the Department of Public Safety.

The rider was lying in the middle lane when a semi-truck struck the downed motorcyclist and did not stop, Case said.

While traffic was slowing down, witnesses reported a teal-colored passenger car went around the stopped traffic, hitting the downed rider and continuing on, Case said.

Investigators found pieces of the teal vehicle at the scene. Investigators are processing those pieces as evidence, Case said.

DPS is asking anyone with information on the semi-truck or the teal vehicle to come forward, Case said.

The identity of the rider was not released.

Read more: Downed motorcyclist killed on Glendale freeway, DPS says

Last edited:

RuinedMortal

Military Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
The rider was lying in the middle lane when a semi-truck struck the downed motorcyclist and did not stop, Case said.

While traffic was slowing down, witnesses reported a teal-colored passenger car went around the stopped traffic, hitting the downed rider and continuing on, Case said.

sickens me that people can be this oblivious while driving. who knows if the 2nd impact was the reason is went from serious injury to death?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow! Sure paints a futile picture for consciousness and future of the hominid.

I wonder what inspired the actual sequence of events. Can't imagine both vehicles operators not knowing something was amiss! You could almost see how the truck might not have known but a car leaving pieces behind?

RuinedMortal

Military Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
its just sad how quickly you can go from enjoying a ride to being baffled across a highway like a pinball because people dont pay attention.

crowelor

Reaction score
Visit site
This is crazy. I hope they figure out what happened so they can track down and prosecute those that did wrong.

I'm with Motogiro I'd be interested to know how it all happened. Depending on the sequence of events, I could see how the truck drive might not have been aware, but the other vehicle? They apparently sped around the other people trying to slow down for the wreck and then ran over the guy. Pretty sad.

poorpoor

Reaction score
Visit site
Arizona drivers are plain stupid. No one pays attention. We have the old people who shouldn't be on the road and everyone else is texting, putting on makeup, eating and clipping their toenails.
Since I've been riding (~2 months) It's been about 2 close calls every three weeks. Yipeekiay!

RuinedMortal

Military Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Update:
Department of Public Safety officials have identified Mark Justin Chapman, 24, of Glendale, as the motorcyclist who died on Loop 101 late Tuesday night after he fell off his vehicle and was struck by a truck and then a car.
Around 10:30 p.m., Chapman was driving onto Loop 101 southbound near Northern Avenue when he lost control and fell off his motorcycle, according to Timothy Case Jr., a spokesman for the DPS.
He was lying in the middle lane when a semitruck struck him and did not stop, Case said.
While traffic was slowing down, witnesses reported, a teal-colored passenger car went around the stopped traffic, hitting the downed rider and continuing on, Case said.
Investigators found pieces of the teal vehicle at the scene. Investigators are processing those pieces as evidence, Case said.
The DPS asks anyone with information on the semitruck or the teal vehicle to come forward, Case said.

RuinedMortal

Military Rider
Reaction score
Visit site

FloppyRunner

Motorcycle Noooooooooooob
Reaction score
Visit site
You'll never catch me riding without a helmet, but I hope they continue to allow it. But *sigh*, that's a tired argument so I'll be quiet now.

D

Dave.TX

I enjoy my head and my face too much to not have it in the pristine condition it's in now by not wearing a helmet while riding. I still think, as responsible people in a free society, we shouldn't have to have laws telling us to wear helmets, seatbelts, etc. Oh well.

ATGATT wouldn't help you if a semi with trailer runs you over, then another passenger car does the same. BUT it well help you in most other circumstances in lessening or sometimes avoiding injuries altogether. A rock flew off a trailer tire the other day and struck the windshield of my truck. Glad it didn't chip or crack it but the first thing I thought of was I'm glad I always wear a helmet while riding 'cause if the same thing happened while on the bike without a helmet that rock could've struck me precious noggin. It all happens so quickly most of the time you can't react fast enough.

RuinedMortal

Military Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
happened to me the day before last. A rock flew up off of one of those pre-runner wanna be trucks with no mud flaps. It was probably the size of a large grape, but in the moment, I swear it was the size of a softball.
lol I felt like a badass when i noticed it mid air and dodged it by inches when I ducked. :rockon:

JusticeForJustin

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello,

I apologize for the necro-bump, but I am posting this as an offer to a community of riders and those who love them.

My name is Tori, and I am a family friend of Justin, the young man killed in the accident you are discussing. DPS has officially closed the case with no leads and no arrests, and, well, we're not very happy with this.

I Googled Justin's name and found this site, so my sincerest apologies if this is regarded as spam. I certainly do not intend it to be so.

We have set up a group called Justice for Justin to raise awareness; someone out there knows the persons responsible for this. Social awareness may now be our only hope in finding who those drivers were.

Again, I apologize for overstepping my boundaries if I have done so, but I thought this may be worth a try, for Justin.

Our page is here, and we thank you for your support ahead of time.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/328116767275274/

Thank you all so much.

Tori