Are you ever....

Signal 50

Reaction score
Visit site
Secretly jealous of that guy on a Goldwing/ Street Glide/ Venture cruising in boat shoes, shorts and a t-shirt?

I know it is about the stupidest thing you could possibly do, especially considering all the mistakes we see drivers make on a daily basis. But I gotta be honest, a little part of me is jealous. Just get on and ride. No pre ride strap this on, put these on, zip up the jacket, strap the wrists, cinch the helmet. Literally just sit and go.

Its a small part, and it quickly goes away as soon as I lean the bike over into a familiar corner and romp on the throttle coming out of it.

To expand on things a bit...do you ever see yourself on a big ol' cruiser? Maybe 15, 20 years from now?

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I wont ever say never but not likely , having said that i do really like the bikes Victory keep turning out..... But ummm yeah no , i like leaning into the twisties to much for a cruiser :D

Ridgeback

Wakin up the neighbours
Reaction score
Visit site
Unless you tour a lot,I really don't see the point in oversized bikes and the roads are so crowded here,that they would be a liability to ride.
I see 'Wings and Harleys stuck in traffic because of the sheer size of the things.
Half the fun of a bike,is the ability to sail past the cagers sitting in a jam.
Trying to filter on one of those,would be like trying to force your way through on a tractor....

And why people still think it's ok to wear no protection on any kind of bike,be it a 50cc or a 2000cc still baffles me :spank:

Working in a Hospital,I've seen the damage.

It's not pretty.

Sermon over ;)

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
Am I jealous because of the ease of just jumping on the bike and going? Yes. Would I ever dream of doing it? Heck no...lol.

That being said, it can be a pain to strap all the gear on, especially when it's blazing hot outside. But, as we've all heard over and over, the heat of wearing all that gear is NOTHING compared to the pain of road rash. I don't know if it's true or not, but I've heard a few different times that when you're brought into the ER with road rash, they clean it out using something akin to steel wool. And they can't give you pain killers because they thin the blood, and since you're already bleeding, that wouldn't be good. So you just have to sit there and take it while they SCRUB your SKIN with STEEL WOOL!!! OUCH!!!

It seems I'm always the last one to be ready when a group I'm riding with is ready to pull out. My gear-up goes like this:

(I always wear full leathers, so obviously my pants and boots are already on...lol...) Back protector, then jacket, then Camelbak over the jacket, then earplugs, then helmet, then gloves. Ugh. It takes forever, but if it saves me in an off, it's all worth it!

Ridgeback

Wakin up the neighbours
Reaction score
Visit site
Not quite true with the wire wool! :D

The worst damage is shredded muscle,broken bones do heal,as does skin (Though it sure aint attractive when its been peeled off)

I've pulled up at the pub in the middle of summer,to be greeted with "Aren't you hot in all that" more times than I care to mention.

Hot yes,but able to give my kids a cuddle with both arms when I see them......;)

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
My next bike may be a Wing! I've rented them twice and when it comes to comfort for the pillion it can't be beat. You'd be surprised how well they handle, this would be a touring bike for me and the Mrs. Guess I'm getting that old :(
Of course I'd keep the FJR and FZ1 for just me and the road.
It would still be ATGATT except I wouldn't use my visor- no need behind the drive in movie screen size windshield.

sxty8goats

Reaction score
Visit site
Jumping on a bike / no lid, jeans and a t-shirt? Hell yea I get jealous. I've moved my bike around the parking lot to make room for the occasional diliverly truck and thought "Man this would be nice."

Will I ever do it in real life? (Appart from that one time in IL.) No.

wolfe1down

Go hard or go home!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Absolutely not. No cruisers for me :eek:

Maybe XJR or FJR 1300 - that type of thing, but not a cruiser.
I'm with you one this... When I decide to get another bike, it's gonna be the FJR1300... Stickin' with Yamaha (only because a Beemer is out of my price range :D)

Am I jealous because of the ease of just jumping on the bike and going? Yes. Would I ever dream of doing it? Heck no...lol.

That being said, it can be a pain to strap all the gear on, especially when it's blazing hot outside. But, as we've all heard over and over, the heat of wearing all that gear is NOTHING compared to the pain of road rash. I don't know if it's true or not, but I've heard a few different times that when you're brought into the ER with road rash, they clean it out using something akin to steel wool. And they can't give you pain killers because they thin the blood, and since you're already bleeding, that wouldn't be good. So you just have to sit there and take it while they SCRUB your SKIN with STEEL WOOL!!! OUCH!!!

It seems I'm always the last one to be ready when a group I'm riding with is ready to pull out. My gear-up goes like this:

(I always wear full leathers, so obviously my pants and boots are already on...lol...) Back protector, then jacket, then Camelbak over the jacket, then earplugs, then helmet, then gloves. Ugh. It takes forever, but if it saves me in an off, it's all worth it!

Not quite steel wool, instead they use what's called a 'Surgical Scrub Brush' which translates in layman's terms to 'Potato Cleaning Brush Soaked in Iodine Solution.' Ouch! Had it done before, not pleasant. Wear gear!

champion221elite

Reaction score
Visit site
Get a Harley cruiser, or a Gold Wing.... nope, not gonna happen!

Those kind of bikes just aren't my style. Granted, I've ridden with a guy who rode a Gold Wing with surgical precision on some very twisty roads. Gold Wings and cruisers are a bit large, and unwieldy for my tastes.

If the time ever comes for a more capable touring motorcycle, I'd most likely consider an FJR1300 or perhaps a Triumph Tiger.

Hoshiko

Hoshiko
Reaction score
Visit site
This past Saturday the temperature reached 98 fahrenheith (37 C).
After an hour, I took my gear of and everything from my socks to my hair was as wet as if I just came out of a pool.
I saw lots I mean lots of peopple riding with absolutelly no protection but the helmet which is mandated by law, I'm pretty sure they saw me and feelt bad for me on my ATGATT.
In answer to your question, YES, in above 80 Fharenheith, my body and heart really want me to ride with nothing else but shorts and shades but my brain don't and all the time (except when arguing with wife) The brain sets the rules.

paulinus

Reaction score
Visit site
The other day at work a group of riders showed up. Two of which were in full Hi Viz Dayglow gear. Not a stitch of protective crash gear tho. Helmets and the occasional pair of gloves in a group of approx 10. I just don't get it. I know they want to be seen, but yeah.

I have a hard time getting my dad to gear up sometimes when he rides. I even gave him a perf jacket. I just dunno what the motivation is. I just wanna yell at 'em, "Sweat a lil, people!!"

:spank:

sniff6

Be nice i am
Reaction score
Visit site
If you have a harley,dont you also have to get a pair of chaps and sing YMCA ???

th_thymca.gif