Are we death defying idiots?

Fz6Sa

SS1000 Veteran
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
www.youtube.com
Actually
You know what? If I didnt love riding so freaking much, if it didn't just make what ever is broken in my brain feel right and proper, if it didnt do something profound for all of us, I would be scared to freaking death to get on a bike.
put me up to this thread.

The Danish numbers for this season speaks for it self: 2 dead riders in 2 days ...

It's more often than I care that we see members posting about buddy's that have been killed riding ....

This site have a RIP thread ......

I know that even though it breaks my heart every time I hear of a fellow rider being killed (and it does not really matter if I knew the person), - I can't imagine myself not to ride ....

But: Why do we do it?
Is it that the gain is bigger than the risks? The fact that most of us only really come alive when we feel that wonderful rush of hitting that perfect apex, only really can relax when we have gone to the edge of our abilities once again, pushing our own limits just a bit more?
Or is it simply a matter of us living in a world that have become so safe, that we now need our bikes to remind us of our mortality, - since death really makes us appreciate living?

For me I think it's a combo of the above. I don't consider myself an adrenaline junkie, but I do enjoy the feeling of staring danger in it's face and get away with it!

Still, - every time I read about these death accidents, I reconsider if it's worth the risk ...,- and so far I have always come to the same conclusion:

The feeling of riding is such a great liberating feeling, that I'd rather ride and crash, than newer to rider at all.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Actually
put me up to this thread.

The Danish numbers for this season speaks for it self: 2 dead riders in 2 days ...

It's more often than I care that we see members posting about buddy's that have been killed riding ....

This site have a RIP thread ......

I know that even though it breaks my heart every time I hear of a fellow rider being killed (and it does not really matter if I knew the person), - I can't imagine myself not to ride ....

But: Why do we do it?
Is it that the gain is bigger than the risks? The fact that most of us only really come alive when we feel that wonderful rush of hitting that perfect apex, only really can relax when we have gone to the edge of our abilities once again, pushing our own limits just a bit more?
Or is it simply a matter of us living in a world that have become so safe, that we now need our bikes to remind us of our mortality, - since death really makes us appreciate living?

For me I think it's a combo of the above. I don't consider myself an adrenaline junkie, but I do enjoy the feeling of staring danger in it's face and get away with it!

Still, - every time I read about these death accidents, I reconsider if it's worth the risk ...,- and so far I have always come to the same conclusion:

The feeling of riding is such a great liberating feeling, that I'd rather ride and crash, than newer to rider at all.
There is a fallen rider thread,
It's a sombre day............................
Nelly

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
We know the risk we take when we get on a bike.

The feeling of forgetting who you are and feeling like you're on top of the world while riding more than makes up for it.

Hell, if you don't want any risk just stay home in a plastic bubble.

tum226

Reaction score
www.rollahome.com
I know for me it is the only time I feel free. Free from the daily grind, free from the stresses of life, free from whatever project at work is occupying my mind. Whenever I ride it is like all thoughts are erased and my entire focus is on the task at hand.

I enjoy riding on the weekends as hard as I can and improving my cornering everytime I ride. I commute to work an hour each way and it clears my mind before and after a hard day of work.

A couple years ago I sold my bike not long after a close friend got paralized in a motorcycle accident. Everyday after the bike was gone I regreted the decision to sell it and about a year and a half later I bought my FZ6. I know that there are great risks involved in riding but you can't go through life being affraid of what might happen. I know that since I got a bike again I have been a more relaxed person. I will never sell my bike again without one to replace it.

Ride hard, ride safe.

racerws

Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I saw a TShirt that said it best......
EVERBODY DIES....NOT EVERYBODY LIVES!
Not that I condone wreckless driving or drunk driving.

paulinus

Reaction score
Visit site

Your post made me think of the old adage. Better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all. - Tennyson

This is one love I'm glad I found and definitely can't imagine my life w/out it. An unplanned pregnancy may get me to sell, but short that, let's hope not.

W

wrightme43

No I do not think so.

Every astronaut knows they may die when they climb into a rocketship, but they still strap in. Every pilot knows they may die today but they still take off. Every time a submarine dives the crew knows they may not ever see sunlight again but they still dive.

Something I cant explain happens when I ride. All my senses focus in on the task at hand. I can only imagine that it compares to what the hunting tiger or hawk feels as it closes unseen and unknown on its prey. What the dolphin feels when it powers thru a wave, laughing and full of joy in its eyes. I am absolutely alive. Every part of my soul is there. Something that doesnt really make any sense happens. Why in the hell a bunch of metal and plastic filled with gas and oil, can enrich my life the way it does makes no sense whatsoever but it does.

I know one other way to put it. I met a old man. He walked up to me, I could see loss in his eyes. He said he always wanted to ride and didnt. He was too old now. Would you look back on your life at 80 and say I wished I had? Or would you risk that for what we recieve when we ride? I know my choice.

Mattberkshire

Reaction score
Visit site
In the 1950's and 60's F1 drivers had a 25% chance of dying each year. They drove for the reasons we ride. Thrill, passion, taking risks, living on the edge of the envelope.

bcityroller

Gear Whore
Reaction score
Visit site
I think of myself as a "risk manager" not a "death defy'er". I manage the risks as best as I can so that I can participate in an activity that I enjoy enough to more than offset the risk that remains after you've done what you can.

Juan1

Reaction score
Visit site
I think of myself as a "risk manager" not a "death defy'er". I manage the risks as best as I can so that I can participate in an activity that I enjoy enough to more than offset the risk that remains after you've done what you can.

Well said.

oogie

Reaction score
Visit site
Been riding for over 40 years, got busted up pretty bad once when a car cut in front of me, been run off the road, even had stuff thrown at me from moving vehicles...and I've done stupid s**t that endangered my own life. Riding is a calculated risk, we're at a disadvantage to the soccer moms in their SUVs, and the distracted or pissed off commuter who doesn't even see us. The one thing you have to do above all else is assume that you are invisible to cage drivers, never take anything for granted. There are no guarantees, just the realization that our well-being is totally dependent on us when we throw a leg over the saddle.

ready2goriding

Reaction score
Visit site
I know for me it is the only time I feel free. Free from the daily grind, free from the stresses of life, free from whatever project at work is occupying my mind. Whenever I ride it is like all thoughts are erased and my entire focus is on the task at hand.

I enjoy riding on the weekends as hard as I can and improving my cornering everytime I ride. I commute to work an hour each way and it clears my mind before and after a hard day of work.

A couple years ago I sold my bike not long after a close friend got paralized in a motorcycle accident. Everyday after the bike was gone I regreted the decision to sell it and about a year and a half later I bought my FZ6. I know that there are great risks involved in riding but you can't go through life being affraid of what might happen. I know that since I got a bike again I have been a more relaxed person. I will never sell my bike again without one to replace it.

Ride hard, ride safe.

+1, can't agree more

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I know many folks who gave up riding when they got married, or moreso when they became parents; that's kind of a pragmatic and human way of looking at it. :thumbup:

A good thread.

cv_rider

Reaction score
Visit site
Many of you mention a sort of spiritual experience on the bike. It's not like that for me. I do enjoy it a lot for the focus it brings with the need to be hyper attentive, the sort of "wanderlust" feeling of just getting on the road and going, and the exchange of boredom for excitement when commuting, and it's still novel for me (1.5 yrs into it). Without that spiritual component, the risk of riding is very nearly balanced with the reward. If I had a bad scare, I'd consider giving it up. Call me a party pooper!

B

bluenova

How many people are killed in Denmark driving a car everyday? I suspect more you just don't hear about it.

Sure riding a bike carries more risk than driving a car, but driving a car does carry risk as well, although a lot of people tend to forget that as driving a car is something almost everybody does and is therefore treated as normal.

Bottom line is how much risk are you willing to take, some people may ride a bike but might not want to paraglide, others will drive a car but will not want to ride a bike.

Fz6Sa

SS1000 Veteran
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
www.youtube.com
How many people are killed in Denmark driving a car everyday? I suspect more you just don't hear about it.

Sure riding a bike carries more risk than driving a car, but driving a car does carry risk as well, although a lot of people tend to forget that as driving a car is something almost everybody does and is therefore treated as normal.

Bottom line is how much risk are you willing to take, some people may ride a bike but might not want to paraglide, others will drive a car but will not want to ride a bike.

400 people are killed in traffic in Denmark every year. (We are like 5.5 mill people here).

The risk of getting killed on a bike is 8 - 9 times higher than in a car ....
Only thing more hazardous is a moped, - 18 times higher risk than a car.

(Numbers are from 2002)

DecepticonDon

Reaction score
Visit site
Lots of good stuff already said.
I've been riding on the street for about 3.5 years(had previous off-road exp.)
About two months after I got my FZ, a good friend of mine died on his bike.
about six months later, one of my cousins was nearly killed.
last year, Two guys I know hit a left-turner infront of my store. I was about a half mile away and I thought it was a dumptruck gate slamming.
one died instantly, the other is alive but had to have one leg amputated.

I don't know what it is that drives me to ride.
Like Wrightme said, would you rather do something, or look back and say I wish I did?

I am not an adrenaline junkie either. Somebody tried to get me to go skydiving once.
"how much?" I ask
about $300 was the reply
"WTF?!? Thats alot of gas money for my bike"
"But your flying"
"No, your falling and only for several minutes, and my motorcycle can take me faster than your falling speed"

Mattberkshire

Reaction score
Visit site
"But your flying"
"No, your falling and only for several minutes, and my motorcycle can take me faster than your falling speed"

:rof::rof:

Although you will accelerate faster whilst falling to earth. Our bike will do 0-60mph in approx 3.5 seconds. Falling out of a plane at 9.8m/s/s at 3.5 seconds you are doing 34.3m/s which is 76.72mph

It works the other way too. Our bike will come to a halt from 60 in about 3 seconds. Falling out of the sky you will come to a stop in about 0 seconds depending how hard the ground is. the biker will be able to then continuing to experiment with the practicalities of Newtons laws whilst the skydiver (who's parachute failed to open) will only really be able to discover whether or not there is an afterlife.

I think I might have become a little sidetracked

BigRatt

Reaction score
Visit site
I was hesitant to post because my thoughts on this are kind of personal, but what the hell. The day after I signed the loan on my first bike life gave me a swift kick in the nads. Nothing I tried seemed to pull me out of the crappy rut I fell in and I kept getting worse. The bike was originally intended to help with my gas budget, but evertime I felt out of options, or felt rock-bottom staring me in the eye, I got out and rode.

Riding kept me sane and helped put me back in a strong mindset. It gave me my life back. My girlfriend and I got to know each other because of a shared interest in bikes. Riding could cost me my life one day, but my take on it is - it can't take back the time its already given me. What can I say? Life looks better with the wind in your face.