Are integrated tails and flushes legal?

Chackster

Reaction score
Visit site
Looking to do some modding in the garage over winter. I love how sleek the fizzer looks with an integrated tail light and front flush mounts but I was wondering if they will pass inspection and/or get me pulled over in New York.

S

sportrider

I can't speak for laws in NY but, technicly any modification to OEM equipment is not legal. but 90% of the time you'd probably not get messed with, in Ca anyways

Jman

Metamorphic
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I can't speak for laws in NY but, technicly any modification to OEM equipment is not legal. but 90% of the time you'd probably not get messed with, in Ca anyways

Strange to me that if it were illegal that companies are still allowed to manufacture aftermarket parts. I wonder how they get around it.:confused:
BTW....Dude, you avatar cracks me up more and more every time I see it.:D

Chackster

Reaction score
Visit site
The legality of manufacturing illegal aftermarket parts is probably in the same league as smoke shops selling drug paraphernalia. Technically not illegal to sell it; while still illegal to use it.

Last edited:

FZ6-ZN

Insert nonsense here
Reaction score
Visit site
I’ve got an integrated taillight and flushes on my FZ6 and I haven’t had any problems yet. The taillight is way cool and very bright, flushes are very hard to see during daylight.

FZ6-ZN

Chackster

Reaction score
Visit site
At least I won't have to worry about all the South African fuzz patrolling the streets of Buffalo. :D

Last edited:

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
Strange to me that if it were illegal that companies are still allowed to manufacture aftermarket parts. I wonder how they get around it.:confused:

A lot of aftermarket bits like exhausts will have,"Not legal for street use" on them somewhere.

So they've done their due diligence to make it clear that they're selling race bike parts. When you bolt the parts on and go ride on the street, that's when you break the law, you dirty, rotten, lowlife criminal scum you. :Flip:

The main thing is that state inspectors usually don't care.

For Texas, at least, the rules on lights are very simple. Tail and brake and headlights must work. Turn signals don't have to be on the bike, but if installed, they must work.

Fred

mattcosta7

Reaction score
www.matthewcostabile.com
In New York, integrated turns are NOT legal for road use. Flush mounts are, but the turn needs to be separated from the tail light.

I do know people who've been ticketed for it, and usually if you've got a small external option, it is usually a safer choice as well. If you want to mod, however, chances are, at least in cities, the cops won't care because there are more important things for them to worry about than your safety

Sqrly

Reaction score
Visit site
In my humble opinion, and this comes from a blue light past, it depends on the officer. If he/she sees it as improper, then ok. The judge decides. And I will tell you, THAT, thats the way it is. We, cagers and bikers, can get pulled over for anything that the officer deems is incorrect or unlawfull. There are gray areas in everything. It is how we present ourselves to the officer, and if needs be, to the judge, that will ultimately determine the consequences. There are certain things that the judge has his/her hands tied for...ie...25+ over the speed limit. Conduct yourself properly, and be civil. Thank you and have a nice flight!

BTW...Im not a cop...anymore...:Flip:

Last edited:

Abnatare

04 FZ6 Blue with 2bros
Reaction score
Visit site
BTW....Dude, you avatar cracks me up more and more every time I see it.:D

When I installed the mini lights that came with my Two Brothers exhaust I noticed they said they were "For off road use only, not legal for street use". I think by them putting that line on there they are covered from their perspective. Unfortunately I noticed it after I pu tthem on and pretty much destroyed the OEM lights during removal. So, Hopefully I will nto have any issues with inspection when it is due.

Shafe716

Reaction score
Visit site
In New York, integrated turns are NOT legal for road use. Flush mounts are, but the turn needs to be separated from the tail light.

I do know people who've been ticketed for it, and usually if you've got a small external option, it is usually a safer choice as well. If you want to mod, however, chances are, at least in cities, the cops won't care because there are more important things for them to worry about than your safety

I know the integrated tail by itself wont pass inspection for the turn signals, but what if you have the integrated tail and aftermarket turn signals.... i like the integrated tail but its not legal, and I want smaller turn signals but they can be hard to see sometimes. i was thinking if I put both on I'd be covered on the legal end and it would still look good..... any thoughts?

Jman

Metamorphic
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I know the integrated tail by itself wont pass inspection for the turn signals, but what if you have the integrated tail and aftermarket turn signals.... i like the integrated tail but its not legal, and I want smaller turn signals but they can be hard to see sometimes. i was thinking if I put both on I'd be covered on the legal end and it would still look good..... any thoughts?

I don't see why that would be a problem. I'm having Roger Watsen make me some red L.E.D. turn signals for the rear (amber for the front) so I can use them as running lights, too. I took my reflectors off the sides of the bike, so this way - having running lights in the front and rear, I should get maximum visibility!

Chackster

Reaction score
Visit site
So i called 2 of the major cycle dealerships in the area and spoke to the service guys that are responsible for inspections. Both said that technically integrated tails are not for road use, but they usually just let it slide. One guy said that he will occasionally fail the bike if the front flush mount are the wrong color (not sure what color that would be, anything but yellow maybe?)

Reaction score
Visit site
yeah...pretty much anything is up to the persons descresion (sp?) like in my evo i got pulled over bc the cop said my exhaust was too loud...when i asked what the legal decibal was so i could fix it he straight up said whatever we say goes...there's no set limit...same's going to go for stuff like signals...if a cop didn't get ne the night before...he could write you a ticket if wanted...but most of the time they're not going to bother

nimzotech

1st Photo Contest Winner
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The issue is that integrated tail lamps and flushies are not DOT approved. Even though it's kind of silly as some of the flushies (including my Watsens) look just much better and are LEDs. Anyway some cops are just anal will issue fix-a-tickets if you get pulled over, others don't pay much attention to them as long as they operate (signal and brake lamps) properly.

I have not been issued a ticket for my front and rear flushie s- knock on wood.

jsw4178

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
In my humble opinion, and this comes from a blue light past, it depends on the officer. If he/she sees it as improper, then ok. The judge decides. And I will tell you, THAT, thats the way it is. We, cagers and bikers, can get pulled over for anything that the officer deems is incorrect or unlawfull. There are gray areas in everything. It is how we present ourselves to the officer, and if needs be, to the judge, that will ultimately determine the consequences. There are certain things that the judge has his/her hands tied for...ie...25+ over the speed limit. Conduct yourself properly, and be civil. Thank you and have a nice flight!

BTW...Im not a cop...anymore...:Flip:

I am... and he's right. The only bikers that get stopped around here are the ones that give other bikers a bad name. (not equipment related);)