Aragon: The Hondas DID Touch!

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
After watching the incident from all different angles in slow motion I still wasn't certain whether Marc the Merciless overcooked the corner and tapped Dani just before he crashed.

Now it has been confirmed by the team themselves and the pair have been summoned to a hearing before the Sepang round.

From motogp.com:

While running second and third behind Yamaha Factory Racing’s Jorge Lorenzo on Lap 6 at MotorLand Aragón, the Honda duo made the slightest of touches at Turn 12. Marquez, who at the time was running in third place, appeared to out-brake himself and run wide, with the contact causing a broken sensor on the rear of Pedrosa’s bike.

“Unfortunately, it looks like they slightly touched each other and the sensor for rear wheel speed was broken,” Team Principal Livio Suppo confirmed.

“After that, there was no more traction control and that is why Dani crashed. He is back in the garage and he is okay.”

As Pedrosa - on his 28th birthday - retired from a race for the first time this season, Marquez went on to pass Lorenzo and celebrate his sixth victory of 2013.

When sharing his opinion over the clash, Pedrosa was not mixing words:

“I was going into the corner. He was over the limit, completely missed the braking, tried to avoid me and at that moment touched me a little bit and went off. When I opened the gas, the cable of the traction control was broken so I had a big highside and couldn’t really avoid the crash, unfortunately.

“The positive part is that I am physically okay. I had a big impact on my hip and my lower back, but it is nothing really to worry about at the moment. I am just hoping to get physically well for the next race. I have zero points (as a result of the incident) but it wasn’t my mistake today - that is what I take from it.”

Marquez now leads Lorenzo by 39 points, with Pedrosa still third but 59 in arrears which means it is possible that his title hopes could fade next time out in Malaysia. In the meantime, Race Direction has requested a technical report from Repsol Honda Team in order to assess the connection between the aforementioned cable being cut and the failure of Dani Pedrosa’s traction control.

motogp.com · News: Sepang hearing arranged after Marquez/Pedrosa touch

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So if the GP racers of today didn't whack the throttle open like they do and let electronic wizardry take care of the rest, he would not have crashed? :BLAA:

PFD023

Reaction score
Visit site
So if the GP racers of today didn't whack the throttle open like they do and let electronic wizardry take care of the rest, he would not have crashed? :BLAA:

You guys are sooooooo cynical.......lol.
I'm guessing that if someone told him after all these years racing with it that he wouldn't have it on this specific corner he would have been fine. Guessing with all that talent that if he knew it wasn't going to be there he would have adjusted.
You guys are just jealous. :spank:

pulsar2

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
found this crash video : [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofAeYg7Ak4U]Motogp Aragon - Accident Crash Danie Pedrosa Motogp Aragon 2013 - YouTube[/ame]

its an abrupt crash - like someone took away their superpower!!

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You guys are sooooooo cynical.......lol.
I'm guessing that if someone told him after all these years racing with it that he wouldn't have it on this specific corner he would have been fine. Guessing with all that talent that if he knew it wasn't going to be there he would have adjusted.
You guys are just jealous. :spank:

LOL.. of course he would have adjusted. I've no doubt any of these guys are perfectly capable of riding very fast bikes without electronics. Things have changed a lot, you have to admit: being super smooth with throttle roll on is no longer required, blipping the throttle when downshifting is not required, don't even have to roll off the throttle or touch the clutch to shift.

Obviously it allows riders to concentrate so much more on perfect lines and it's easier to set the entry speed, but I do wonder how much racing at highest level would be affected today, if electronics were taken away.

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site
Our analysis of the RCV plans indicate a weakness in its core electronic traction control system. Your target will be less than 5mm wide. Only a direct hit with your clutch lever armament will disable the bike.

Marquez: No problem!

hrc-tc.jpg

BVVTnwhIAAAJ5Zf.jpg

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
Our analysis of the RCV plans indicate a weakness in its core electronic traction control system. Your target will be less than 5mm wide. Only a direct hit with your clutch lever armament will disable the bike.

hrc-tc.jpg

BVVTnwhIAAAJ5Zf.jpg

LMAO, funny

Lefty

Quis, mihi fatigo?
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

hrc-tc.jpg

BVVTnwhIAAAJ5Zf.jpg

I just looked at my FZ and I'm missing that part!! :eek: