Anyone up for a tour of Tassie!

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Take a look at Google Earth starting in Scottsdale and you'll notice a large proportion of the cars seem to be crossing the centre line as you follow the road downwards...lol...so it seems like it'll be just like home:rolleyes::eek::spank::spank::D

sPin0011

Just a bloke
Reaction score
Visit site
To keep it simple west coast and east coast are the go. Lots of twisties with breathtaking scenery. I like to go from here to Queenstown detouring to Reece Dam along the way. Then make my way to Stathgordon (must see-wicked road) and on to Hobart. Head south to Huon valley/Dover etc. Then up the east coast ending up at Scottsdale and head west through Launie and onto the Exter Highway to home.:cheer:

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Gonna have to get myself a map 'o Tassie to plot your trip out on:eek:...that'll be fun...that lass from the pub maybe......ahem!...never mind:BLAA::spank::spank::D

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Gonna have to get myself a map 'o Tassie to plot your trip out on:eek:...that'll be fun...that lass from the pub maybe......ahem!...never mind:BLAA::spank::spank::D

Yes i have already started doing the google maps thingo...so hurry up and get back to the pub...and get yourself sorted! ;)

Prebstar

FZ6 Maintenance Man
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Jamie, when are you intending on doing this trip. Kazza and I are more than likely going to the Supers next year and I would love to tour around Tassie. I'm not sure she'd be up to riding though. She might just fly back to Perth after the supers, but I'd carry on to Tassie with the bike, or before the racing if that was the case. What sort of "sleeping" arrangements etc are you planning? I'm not too keen on camping, as it means that I have to carry more crap over from Perth.

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Jamie, when are you intending on doing this trip. Kazza and I are more than likely going to the Supers next year and I would love to tour around Tassie. I'm not sure she'd be up to riding though. She might just fly back to Perth after the supers, but I'd carry on to Tassie with the bike, or before the racing if that was the case. What sort of "sleeping" arrangements etc are you planning? I'm not too keen on camping, as it means that I have to carry more crap over from Perth.
Well, you've got my permission, not as though you really needed it..... :D

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Well at this point, i have set a very tantative date around the end of February, but dates can be changed accordingly to suit others, if they wannabe part of it....

I am going to struggle to get more than 7 days off, but would like to make it a full week long trip if possible!

There will be no camping...only resort, country club, or decent Hotel accomodation....

Will be eating well too...decent restaurants, etc...definitely not planning on "slumming it"..

You know, i could start by doing the Supers first....i have accomodation on the Island already booked (Cabin)....

Whatever happens, this trip will be well organised, and done in style....so a decent budget from whoever wants to go, will be required!

If Kazza doesnt wanna ride....go 2 up, i am! By the way, my missus is very very easy to get along with, and has a very pleasent manner, with a great sense of adventure, and an even better sense of manners!

:thumbup::thumbup:

Would love to see both You & Kazza come along!

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

FZ6 Tas

Reaction score
Visit site
The suggestion my fellow Tasmanian has given you would be exactly how I would run a lap of home, the on;y thing I would add is maybe 1 day whilst staying in Hobart to shoot up over grasstree hill to Richmond, then on to campania/colebrook out onto the midlands then onto bothwell and through to Poatina then back onto Midlands through to Campbelltown, then Lake Leake Hwy through to East Coast and back to Hobart.

This is alot of riding so you may want to break it down to 2 days but you can't leave out the middle of the state!!!! Its just over 450 km. Lake Leake Highway is a must!!!! It's almost as important as 99 bends and the east coast.
The Huon loop south of Hobart is nice but quite tight and not somewhere I'd want to open her up too much on. It is quite scenic and there are heaps of touristy things to do.

Rumpole of the Bailey

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, you can't possibly leave out the 12 Apostles and the Great Ocean Road on this ride.
Can You?

There are some apartments in front of my place that are biker friendly and next to them is a motel, slightly cheaper but same deal.

Here are the links. Apartments have 1 double/ensuite upstairs and 2 twins downstairs, secure parking
Lorne Beachfront Accommodation, Great Ocean Road Victoria

this is where the mates stay on our Sept 4 day ride.

The motel is also good.

The trip from Lorne to the Tasmania ferry is probably 1.5 hours to 2 hours depending on time of the day.
Crikey, may even be 2.5 hours. I have been known to do it in 1.5 in my Porche but thats another story....
(Lorne Post Office)
picture.php

Keep it in mind.
Rumps

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, you can't possibly leave out the 12 Apostles and the Great Ocean Road on this ride.
Can You?

There are some apartments in front of my place that are biker friendly and next to them is a motel, slightly cheaper but same deal.

Here are the links. Apartments have 1 double/ensuite upstairs and 2 twins downstairs, secure parking

The motel is also good.

The trip from Lorne to the Tasmania ferry is probably 1.5 hours to 2 hours depending on time of the day.
Crikey, may even be 2.5 hours. I have been known to do it in 1.5 in my Porche but thats another story....
(Lorne Post Office)
picture.php

Keep it in mind.
Rumps

I know I will. Am looking at staying in Lorne at some point with my car, and the bike on the trailer, so I can do the GOR without my bike loaded up, and then moving on to PI for WSBK. Probably Won't be financial enough to do Tassie though (Will have to see). That'll entail getting tank bra's and luggage etc. Gets to be an expensive trip if you have to buy the gear first...lol.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Can You?

The motel is also good.

(Lorne Post Office)
picture.php

Keep it in mind.
Rumps

Dont worry about this little black duck including the GOR....am well overdue for another blat up and back, to and from the Ferry, or PI, whichever it may end up...if i do the Supers as well...

As for staying in Lorne...i would love to....But i can get from Adelaide to Melbourne in one reasonably comfortable day on the bike, but i have wanted to stay at Lorne for a while now...stayed at Apollo Bay last time...and that was lovely too.

Cheers for the links and the reminder! :thumbup:

heath_AU

Reaction score
Visit site
Well i am moving to Tassie in 2 weeks and i already have the ride down (from Brissie) all planned.
If you end up doing it gimme a buzz and i will come exploring.

Kazza

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm in :thumbup:

Not 2-up, I'll be taking my FZ-6 :D:D:D

Maybe fly to Adelaide and ship the bikes over there, then ride to the Supers, then ferry to Tassie.

:cheer:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm in :thumbup:

Not 2-up, I'll be taking my FZ-6 :D:D:D

Maybe fly to Adelaide and ship the bikes over there, then ride to the Supers, then ferry to Tassie.

:cheer:

Woohoo! We have a "touring party"....shipping the bikes to Adelaide....great idea! You guys can come stay for a night before we leave on the Thursday Morning...plenty of room round here, we even have a "Guest Room", with it's own Super Comfy Queen Size Bed!

If we manage to catch up with all 3 Tassie Fizzers for at least one day's ride....that will just add cream to the cake!

Am glad your bringing your own bike Kazza...i know i could never be a pillion.

Woot! Woot! Woot!

:cheer::cheer::cheer:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Taz....yes i have forgotten your name! :eek: What do you know about this joint....

Country Club - Tasmanian Classic Touring

Has just had a big write up in Australian Road Rider this month...

Am thinking we may need a couple of "bases"...somewhere we can leave our gear, and come back to at the end of each days ride...so we dont have to lug the kitchen sink wherever we go!

Or maybe some suggestions for a couple of decent spots to use as a "base" for some decent riding!

:thumbup:

Kazza

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Woohoo! We have a "touring party"....shipping the bikes to Adelaide....great idea! You guys can come stay for a night before we leave on the Thursday Morning...plenty of room round here, we even have a "Guest Room", with it's own Super Comfy Queen Size Bed!

If we manage to catch up with all 3 Tassie Fizzers for at least one day's ride....that will just add cream to the cake!

Am glad your bringing your own bike Kazza...i know i could never be a pillion.

Woot! Woot! Woot!

:cheer::cheer::cheer:
We've been checking out places to stay and the ferry etc.

I am VERY excited now I have made the decision.

I wonder if Mikes XJR will keep up with us LOL