Anyone sharing my shame?

sxty8goats

Reaction score
Visit site
It is well into the 90's here in MA this week. Peaked above 100 yesterday. Just can't bring myself to put a jacket on so I've been taking the air conditioned cage to work. :(

fizz_off

Reaction score
Visit site
It is well into the 90's here in MA this week. Peaked above 100 yesterday. Just can't bring myself to put a jacket on so I've been taking the air conditioned cage to work. :(

Count me in (now where's that "look ashamed" smilie?) :D I prefer to look at it as "sensible" :BLAA: :cheer: :D

chaskell27

Reaction score
Visit site
Put me down as too much of a pansy to brave the heat even up here in ME. I did get out on it on Monday night at around 10:00 when it had cooled down to around 75 or so. (I just couldn't wait any more). I do pride myself in opting to take the cage over shedding the gear and being a squid :D

sxty8goats

Reaction score
Visit site
yea, I won't ride without a jacket. I've only done it a couple time. Last time I had grabbed the wrong jacket for the day (I cage up 50 miles to Essex and have a second bike there). Instead of riding without the mesh jacket last Saturday, I left the non-vented jacked in the car, rode to the local Motorcycle shop and bought a new mesh jacket. :) So I put in @ 15 minutes of riding this year in a t-shirt. Donated my old mesh to the 23 YO squid here at work.

kpaul

The Great Destroyer
Reaction score
www.xbox.com
I do the same when I need to, it's going to be 95 tomorrow but I think I'll brave it. Last year my gf needed the truck one day so I took the bike in 105 degree temps... never again.

sublime0713

Gun nut
Reaction score
Visit site
Well living in Texas it tends to be above 90 and high humidity for 5-7 months out of the year so I wouldn't get much riding done if I didn't suit up and go. A little sweat never hurt anybody. I just stay hydrated and all good. :rockon:

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
Same here! better caging it than squidding it any day! about 90 degrees is my personal limit. yesterday was brutally hot.. 104

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It hit 105 in NJ, yesterday. I still went for a 30 minute ride :D (ATGATT).

sixsix

Reaction score
Visit site
Well living in Texas it tends to be above 90 and high humidity for 5-7 months out of the year so I wouldn't get much riding done if I didn't suit up and go. A little sweat never hurt anybody. I just stay hydrated and all good. :rockon:

Same goes for south Louisiana. I don't mind the heat, but it's been raining here everyday for the last 2-3 weeks. I'm scared to take the bike to work cause I don't want to get caught in a afternoon down pour.

alfagama

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, me being on the other side of the World, today I did my commute riding below freezing point, had to wait till a bit late in the morning to avoid any possible ice on the streets.

Last week I was in Tempe, Arizona. It was something like 118 °F on Thursday. Nice air conditioning Toyota Camry!

sxty8goats

Reaction score
Visit site
Same goes for south Louisiana. I don't mind the heat, but it's been raining here everyday for the last 2-3 weeks. I'm scared to take the bike to work cause I don't want to get caught in a afternoon down pour.

I don't mind the rain as long as I can get to work dry. Lightning is a different story thought. I used to ride in IL/WI. Lots of corn fields. When you are on a bike you are the tallest object for miles sometimes. Lightning will brown your shorts, even if it is nowhere near you :)

Well, me being on the other side of the World, today I did my commute riding below freezing point, had to wait till a bit late in the morning to avoid any possible ice on the streets.

Last week I was in Tempe, Arizona. It was something like 118 °F on Thursday. Nice air conditioning Toyota Camry!

I've only ridden below freezing a couple times. Not fun for me. :)

Traf001

Reaction score
Visit site
You betcha. Between the heat and the severe afternoon thunderstorms, my truck is a comfortable place to be until the weather calms down and the temperatures drop a bit. With my mesh jacket and pants I'm good until it hits the mid-90's otherwise.

jwmrks

Reaction score
Visit site
The other day I went out in shorts/t-shirt for the first time ever as it was overly hot. However, I did have my dirt gear (chest protector, knee guards, elbow guards, gloves, helmet). I was just going a few miles (non highway, slower speeds) for a BBQ. It was actually really enjoyable and I do understand why people would risk shorts and a t-shirt, but I just wouldn't feel right completely unprotected. Anyone know how dirt gear would compare to a good jacket/pants? I may be kidding myself, but I felt the protection was comparable. Perhapse even better impact protection, though maybe more of a risk of rash depending on the mechanics of the crash.

I used to be an overly responsible rider, but now as I'm getting older, some squidliness seems to be leaking out of me. Maybe I'm just getting near my midlife crisis, and since I can't afford a porsche... :D.

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
anything over 90.. i just end up in the car.... anyhting over 80 is a toss up between the leather jacket or a vest.. not the smartest i know, but when its that hot, sometimes you just have to do it..

sxty8goats

Reaction score
Visit site
anything over 90.. i just end up in the car.... anyhting over 80 is a toss up between the leather jacket or a vest.. not the smartest i know, but when its that hot, sometimes you just have to do it..

Have you ever used a mesh jacket? Those things flow air as if they are not there once you get MPH or so. I just replaced my Joe Rocket Phoenix 4.0 with an Olympia. The phoenix flowed a lot better but was worn out / beat up. Gave it to the new kid at work. He had nothing but thick leather.

Beats the hell out of a vest. I wear the mesh when it is over 75*F or so. Love it.

2010_viper01.jpg

(not me, I'm not nearly that rugged looking :))

Last edited:

kpaul

The Great Destroyer
Reaction score
www.xbox.com
Anyone know how dirt gear would compare to a good jacket/pants? I may be kidding myself, but I felt the protection was comparable. Perhapse even better impact protection, though maybe more of a risk of rash depending on the mechanics of the crash.

I used to be an overly responsible rider, but now as I'm getting older, some squidliness seems to be leaking out of me. Maybe I'm just getting near my midlife crisis, and since I can't afford a porsche... :D.

They don't compare favorably. The point of leather/textile is to enter you into, and protect you from, a slide. With dirt gear, you won't slide but you'll tumble. When you tumble, you break bones like your ribs, femur, tibia, radius, ulnum, etc. which aren't well-protected by your dirt gear.

The gear you're wearing there would protect your joints impact but only if you lay it down (at which point, you may tumble). If you got hit, it wouldn't really do anything for you (no reasonable amount of gear really does). By wearing dirtbike gear you're sacrificing the primary function of street gear.

As for the squid-like tendencies as you grow older... I think you're going backwards. :) I definitely took several rides in sneakers, without a jacket or gloves in my first year of riding, and wore normal jeans for the first two years. These days, I'm always wearing draggin jeans at least, a leather or textile jacket, gloves, heavy boots and of course the helmet (not optional in WA). I think the more I'm out there the greater my perceived threat from other vehicles. I know a collision is inevitable and unavoidable, no small thanks to the dozens of stories I've read here, so I've gone about acquiring the best gear I can afford.

Adirondack Jack

Don't call me " Jun ior&a
Reaction score
Visit site
95 yesterday....95 today. It was a temptation to go squid last nite around 5:30. I never do, but these are unusual temps for the Adirondacks. I resisted and went full gear (like a good boy). It was bearable but not really pleasant. Mesh jacket and pants were ok. Mostly because the helmet was so damn hot. So my lesson learned was this...Hot air at 45 mph is still hot air at 70 mph. DUH! Not really refreshing. But a 100 mile loop (back by 8 PM) was at least better than sitting and sweating in a lawn chair. No pool and no AC here because it's never like this. Except now it is. But it ain't February....and that's a good thing! :rockon:

dave0407

Reaction score
Visit site
I am defiantly not an ATGATT type of person :spank:, so it is never too hot for a ride. My gear consist of jeans (gasp…regular of course, not those fancy $200 motorcycle ones), boots (again, regular everyday boots), and a full face helmet. When I pass people who are riding in all the gear, I always think to myself why not just drive a car.

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
I cage it to work most days.

Mileage:
Honda Civic: 34 mpg
FZ6: 40 MPG

Time to get to work, including putting on gear:
Civic: 20 minutes.
FZ6: 30 minutes.

Ambient temperature:
Civic: 72 degrees.
FZ6: 90-110 degrees.

Can carry my lunch, books, flight bag, etc:
Civic: Yes.
FZ6: Some of it, and that adds to the time it takes to put on the gear.

Can be operated safely by me when it's 6:30 AM and I'm dead tired:
FZ6: No.

And most importantly,
Has a cupholder for my coffee:
FZ6: No.

I cage to work and am not ashamed at all.