Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes!! An amazing machine!
Very tall first gear. Torque right out of the hole. The crossplane crank configuration does every thing they say it does. You have to ride one to really understand the impact of the new engine and how it delivers power to the rear and the relationship to your right hand.
There are some good videos on Youtube besides the hype videos that give a more in depth explanation of how this different inline four works.

picture.php

picture.php

Doorag

Reaction score
www.4dbrown.com
How comfortable is it to ride compared to other SS bikes? Say, a Fireblade, a Gixxer or a Ninja?

I'm considering one but I'd need to ride it to work every day and am just wondering.

arkay

Reaction score
Visit site
I had a go on my daughters, boyfriends, father in laws!! If you get that??

It's awesome:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: but for the time being the fazer is more than enough and ten times comfier. Having said that I'm 45 and probably getting on too much to be laid over a tank as opposed to being sat over one, perhaps if I was 10-15 yrs younger ;)

Try it, it's the only definitive answer!!

scottsst

Reaction score
Visit site
really the only way for you to know is to get out and ride one. I have spent some time on one and it's mind blowing how fast it is. I for one think it's OK comfort wise I don't know how long I could ride it at any given time but it would'nt take to much to make it better.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
How comfortable is it to ride compared to other SS bikes? Say, a Fireblade, a Gixxer or a Ninja?

I'm considering one but I'd need to ride it to work every day and am just wondering.

I was actually buying a GSXR750. I had already sat on the new R1 and although the seat height was a tall for me (5'8") it felt much better as far as the ergos. The sales person told me the day I was doing my final decision on a bike that Yamaha had an incentive price on the 09 R1 and it was less $$ than the 750. The R1 was always a sort of dream and I did the deal. They were a couple hundred over OTD (Out The Door Motosports). So they were competitive and I felt good about what I was getting.
My biggest anxiety was coming from the FZ6 upright riding to a SS riding position. I've ridden with a lot of SS riders and learned a few tricks to relieve fatigue and they work! You have to practice these techniques as often as you can and you'll be good for long hours of fun. I've done 8 hour days riding twisties and hiway with break for lunch and gas only. Last Sunday I rode so much I hurt the next day but keep in mind I was pushing it up and down a mountain 66 turns in 6.7 miles repeatedly, until I actually suffered heat exhaustion and got sick. I was having so much fun I wouldn't quit going up and down the mountain. No lunch or water. I guess my hunger/water signals cross circuited with my fun circuit and blew a fuse. It wasn't until I saw I needed fuel that I broke off to get fuel and then I felt really bad and knew I was in trouble.
The R1 is more comfy than the GSXR 600/750 from what I can tell you sitting on them but you really have ride them to tell the truth. All of us are so different with regard to physical dimensions so it's pretty personal.

krid80

journeyman of epic status
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.surdykeharley.com
5'8" let's see..... that would have been 7th grade for me.

We'll have to call you Cliffentino Brossi from now on. Little guy on an R1.

Doorag

Reaction score
www.4dbrown.com
@motogiro - thanks for the good feedback. I don't do 'touring' I really only ride to work everyday (max 50 miles each way) and take a blast around on the weekends. So it sounds like I would be fine with a bit of technique coaching.

I'm having shoulder surgery in a couple of moths and that will carry a three month recovery period so I'll wait until later in the year to really look at anything seriously.

Jonno271

Reaction score
Visit site
I stopped by my dealer on the way home from work last night where the owner's been egging me on to test ride the R1 for weeks cos he knows I want one! I've always said no because I don't need encouraging and I didn't want to get back on the fizzer and feel underwhelmed. Well last night I took the bait!...

Holy sh1t, what a machine. It's been a while since I've ridden a litre sports bike and I was totally unprepared for the barrage of power this thing has. It's savage! I rode in the low down torque for ten minutes or so, which was mightily impressive, then decided to let it rev to the red line. Front wheel aloft (nothing you can do about it!) I snicked 2nd, 3rd then 4th before hitting the brakes a little too hard (cos my fizzer brakes have gone off a bit I have to squeeze hard), at which point I thought the bones in my fore arms were going to shatter...

I can't really compare it to the other Jap super sport bikes cos I haven't ridden any of the new ones, my last big Jap was was a Kwaka ZX9R some years ago. In it's day the ZX9R was a monster but nothing compared to the new R1. The bike I rode was a used model and I suspect the suspension may have been tinkered with by the previous owner. I was expecting hard but not so hard that I was out of the seat over every little bump. Made worse I guess as my textile trousers wouldn't grip the tank like leathers...

It was a pure assault on all of my senses and I loved every second of it. I WILL have one, but I WON'T be commuting on it. My wrists still hurt and I 'm amazed I even got my feet on those pegs. Plus I don't think a top box would look too great. Back to the Fazer and, as I suspected, I was underwhelmed by the relative lack of power but it didn't take long to realise why I bought it in the first place, it's perfect for what I do. One thing I will say is that the Fazer is sooo much easier to get leaned over cos of the wide bars, it was a very physical affair trying to get the R1 over but I guess that will just take some getting used to when I eventually get one :D:D:D

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yep i have had the pleasure of an hour long test ride & im still yet to find the words that decribe the exact heaven i experienced :thumbup:.... Do yourself a favour and dont ride one :eek: thats right DONT because im telling you that the FZ6 will never satisfy you again :( unless of course your going to buy one , then ride all you want :D

Doorag

Reaction score
www.4dbrown.com
For some reason I have in my head that the Gixxer would be a lot more comfortable for commuting even though it's still a SS. Don't know why.

Based on feedback from the Gixxer forum, the '07 GSX750R is the bike to get if I got for a Suzuki. The main advantage of that would be price.

I'm looking at the R1 because I love Yamaha and the noise it makes is just awesome. The cross-plane engine with Akro cans on it... mmm...

I want to try the Honda Fireblade too. I see TONS of guys commuting on them every day so they must be good for that. The only problem I find with Honda bikes is that they always seem to be very un-exciting. Fast, yes. Good ergos, check. Soul, no.

I know the Kawa is a death machine and probably way beyond my riding ability, but I love the green.

Decisions, decisions...

Jonno271

Reaction score
Visit site
For some reason I have in my head that the Gixxer would be a lot more comfortable for commuting even though it's still a SS. Don't know why.

Based on feedback from the Gixxer forum, the '07 GSX750R is the bike to get if I got for a Suzuki. The main advantage of that would be price.

I'm looking at the R1 because I love Yamaha and the noise it makes is just awesome. The cross-plane engine with Akro cans on it... mmm...

I want to try the Honda Fireblade too. I see TONS of guys commuting on them every day so they must be good for that. The only problem I find with Honda bikes is that they always seem to be very un-exciting. Fast, yes. Good ergos, check. Soul, no.

I know the Kawa is a death machine and probably way beyond my riding ability, but I love the green.

Decisions, decisions...

I'd agree on the GSXR being more comfortable although I've only sat on one stationary in the dealer, it felt less cramped than the R1. I also, having previously owned a Suzuki, have issues with their build quality. It is my love for all things Yamaha that also makes me want an R1 and the sound is out of this world...

I've just been speaking to a work colleague who is a big bike nut and owns a ZX10R. Opinion is, as with everyone else, it's bonkers and produces all of it's useable horsepower at astronomical revs. As for the Blade, well it's tiny, like 600 tiny. It does everything right but is a little too clinical for my liking...