Anyone know how to remove/reinstall headlight assembly lens?

rrandall

BugMan
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi, I have a 2006 FZ6 and would like to make some mods that would require, or at least be much easier, if the headlight lens could be removed and reinstalled. Anyone run across any links or actually do this on an FZ6? Is there a heat sensitive sealant that would respond to a heat gun etc.? Thanks :thumbup:

Bob

Bailey

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a broken lense and just attempted removal via putty knife, screwdriver and blade to no avail. The glue appears to be stronger than the plastic. I guess that is why they dont sell the lense seperately. If anybody has a magic trick for this I would love to hear it.

Jman

Metamorphic
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have read on some sites for halo eyes or the CCFL's, that the headlight assembly should be put in the oven to allow the glue or putty to become soft enough to take apart. Hope that is helpful.:Flash:

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks guys, I found the SBN oven article FZ6 R6-Projector Headlight Retrofit DIY - Sportbikes.net I will give it a try and see if I can melt the whole thing.

Nice, glad to see my write up found it's way over to this forum as well.

As you can read, I used the oven to do this... it softens the silicone that seals the two halves of the headlight together. Then just gently pry it apart starting at one corner and working your way around. If you have specific questions, feel free to PM me.