Anyone Have/Had A Scooter? Just Wondering...

WereGrouch

Mrs. Skrapiron
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks like an X9 on the track!! Awesome!! They really are a great ride.

(The guy behind you in the pic looks like "WTF just blew past me?? :D)

That is indeed a Piaggio x9EVO. Mine, actually. He only got to ride it on the track that day because I had to have the kids somewhere for the morning, and didn't get in till after noon- and we weren't about to pay a second rider's fee.

Capo79

Viking spirit
Reaction score
Visit site
As a 16 year old, I got myself a 1990 Yamaha DT 50CC moped (yeah, I read what you guys in the US call it - poteto, potato;))

8925119_1.jpg

It's so long ago, that I barely remember what it looked like, and it's not easy finding any pictures of it on the web either:rolleyes: Anyway, I bought a Pollini cylinder and piston and modded the carburettor. If I remember correctly, that bike was good for at least 120 km/h:D

A few years ago, I had a Peugeot Speedfight SCOOTER exactly like this one:

Peugeot_speedfight_50_cc.jpg

Bought an aftermarket exhaust and modded the vario clutch. That thing did close to 100 km/h, but only on the straights...

Last edited:

dean2287

Easy Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Ya - scooters aren't that big in North America, but in Europe they're EVERYWHERE...might even outnumber geared bikes. I used to chat with some X9 blokes in the UK, they are hard-core scooter riders man.

Just wait for the new Piaggio Gilera GP 800 - 850 cc, 75 hp, 7 gear sequential automatic gearbox, top speed 120 mph...makes me want another scoot!!

tommpa

Reaction score
Visit site
I currently am riding an 05 Burgman 650. It is fun to ride and rides more like a sport bike. slight nudge on the handle and you are turning. It will go a 100. I run the PA turnpike every day and hold it around 70-75 with alot left to get me out of trouble. The storage is under the seat. But I am thinking of trading it in on a new bike. FZ6, Versys or KLR 650. I found a good deal on a 09 FZ6, out the door for 3385, still in the crate. Versys OTD 3600 with tourning screen and luggage already added. KLR OTD 1380.

Skrapiron

Mr. Know-It-All
Reaction score
Visit site
I currently am riding an 05 Burgman 650. It is fun to ride and rides more like a sport bike. slight nudge on the handle and you are turning. It will go a 100. I run the PA turnpike every day and hold it around 70-75 with alot left to get me out of trouble. The storage is under the seat. But I am thinking of trading it in on a new bike. FZ6, Versys or KLR 650. I found a good deal on a 09 FZ6, out the door for 3385, still in the crate. Versys OTD 3600 with tourning screen and luggage already added. KLR OTD 1380.

You really can't go wrong with any of those choices, but what you end up with really depends on how you like to ride and what you expect from a bike.

The FZ6 will provide the most wind protection and the most compliant highway ride of the three. It is also the most powerful of the bunch, which makes highway travel more enjoyable. The KLR is a competent all around bike, but it's a thumper (a single cylinder 650cc engine). It produces GOBS of torque and can be ridden pretty much anywhere, but on the highway, the vibrations from the engine get pretty extreme. The Versys is an excellent intermediary between the FZ6 and the KLR. Having sport bike roots, it is more than capable for freeway travel, including the interstate and is equally at home riding along forest service roads or other unimproved surfaces... My biggest complaint against the Versys (in addition the the absolute lack of any wind protection INCLUDING with the 'touring' windscreen on) is the seat height. I feel like I need a step ladder to get on and off the bike. Not a problem when I'm fresh and just beginning a ride, but after several hours in the saddle, it becomes a real chore to get my legs up that high....

So like I said earlier, don't base your choice on price alone. Figure out what you want to do with the bike, and most importantly test ride all three......

Bram

Reaction score
www.youtube.com
Does this count as a scooter? Had this when I was about 12 years old.

It's a Suzuki Suzie (50cc) with a topspeed of 47km/h :ban:

Pics were taken back in the days when I was terorrising the neighberhood with the meanest bike around, and most useless gear I could find.:D

edit: the scooter was built in the late '80's and burned more oil than gas.
And the gaylord basket came off after the pics were taken, So I think that was my very first mod ever. :D

Last edited:

ice

Reaction score
Visit site
I love scooters. Especially Vespa and Piaggio s.

The only thing holding me back from buying one right now, is price.
The nicer, more powerful ones are expensive.

update: Tried out some motor scooters for my wife. She now owns one and loves it.
While test riding them, I discovered they are a blast.
I can see one in my future.

Last edited:

RWBuente

Reaction score
Visit site
Have had a Cushman back in the 60's and in the last 10 years have had a Suzuki Bergman 650 and Aprilia Scarabeo 500. Both were really nice for traveling with lots of storage and wind protection. Not as fun as riding a mortorcycle though.

sniff6

Be nice i am
Reaction score
Visit site
I had a lambretta, as ragging bike when i was 14 ,It was the most dangerous thing i've ever ridden.Those brakes when its wet ....wow. But the most scary thing for me ever was getting a lift from someone with a Reliant Robin to cadets.Now that was Scary....

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yamaha DT 50CC moped

DT50 is not a moped or a scooter, it is a motorcycle.

My wife rode a Yamaha Jog back in the 80s. First she had a red one then decided she preferred the blue one so I did the trade in.

That thing was fun to ride in town, it was only 50cc but was really nippy.

Here's a page from the brochure :)

YamahaJog.jpg

matteblack

Reaction score
Visit site
I've got a honda ruckus. Super fun 4 stroke 50cc scooter. Huge aftermarket and it gets 100 mpg. It's great for cruising around town in traffic and not worrying about wrecking a clutch with all of the stop and go. Top speed is about 40, and it takes a while to get there.