Anyone had Hood Jeans?

spine

Reaction score
www.shop4biker.co.uk
We're currently having a hot spell here in the UK and its too hot for leathers, but i still want to ride. Plus, sometimes if i'm going somewhere, i find it a pain walking in leathers as my movement is restricted.

So i'd heard about Kevlar jeans, and then i found this company that use para-aramid, which weight to weight is five times stronger than steel : Welcome

I've heard Hood Jeans are the best out there, better than Kevlar.

Has anyone had any experience with them? Or has anyone got on any recommendations on riding trousers other than leathers?

spine

Reaction score
www.shop4biker.co.uk
Thanks FZ6-ZN.
Just looked at that site and it seems Hood use Kevlar but use lots of it, rather than just in few parts of the pants that some manufacturers do.

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
A question to the Australians: are Hornee's any good?
There's a shop not too far from me thats stocking them. Wondering if they are any good.
Draggins are much better than Hornees. There are quite a few reviews on the web about them. I wouldn't buy Hornees - I only have Draggins.

Just google reviews :D

texcollect

Crotchety Old Fart
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on the draggin jeans. I wear them on the bike to work, all day at work and then home again. Just fine.

Not sure if there is a difference between the US and the AUS versions, but there are sure a lot of choices on the AUS website, but the US ones come in 36 inseam (which I need)

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on the draggin jeans. I wear them on the bike to work, all day at work and then home again. Just fine.

Not sure if there is a difference between the US and the AUS versions, but there are sure a lot of choices on the AUS website, but the US ones come in 36 inseam (which I need)
They are different. I believe there was some fight in the Aussie Draggin company - someone left, started up a company in the US. Legal fight starts..... Someone correct me if I've heard wrong.

Hollywood416

Reaction score
Visit site
Personally I am just as happy with my Carhartt's, both the double front and duck washed. About 1/3rd the price of your average Riding jean and just as durable IMO. Mine were put to the test twice during a 15mph tumble and 30mph slide and still wearing both pairs. I do have a couple pairs of Icon and Draggin jeans but for the money I'll take the Carhartt's at less than $50/pair.

rpereira

Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on the draggin jeans, love my oil skins they are so nice and warm and water proof as well !! Most dealers usually have them on sale, mine cost $160AUD (Usually $245AUD).

spine

Reaction score
www.shop4biker.co.uk
Well, i dished out £83 on the Hood jeans and they're fantastic! The kevlar lining at the front goes all the way from waist to shins, and the back goes from waist to back of the knees. I've never known so much kevlar to be used. Very pleased.
I also spent £18 on the knee and hip armour that fits inside, again from Hood.
Very good quality, deep pockets, well made and most of all, they're British!:uk:
Not much is made in the UK anymore, so this makes me especially proud.:rockon:

wlaroche

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, i dished out £83 on the Hood jeans and they're fantastic! The kevlar lining at the front goes all the way from waist to shins, and the back goes from waist to back of the knees. I've never known so much kevlar to be used. Very pleased.
I also spent £18 on the knee and hip armour that fits inside, again from Hood.
Very good quality, deep pockets, well made and most of all, they're British!:uk:
Not much is made in the UK anymore, so this makes me especially proud.:rockon:

What was the temp / humidity when you were riding with them on?

spine

Reaction score
www.shop4biker.co.uk
Went out today in them, its about 15c (60fahrenheit) and they were fine. Kept me cool, if nowt else. I normally have my leather pants tucked into my boots, whereas I had the jeans over my boots, so that had probably something to do with it.
The Hood jeans were fine though, the temperature inside the pants felt normal (as though I was walking) and I did speeds varying from 20 to 60mph.
The knee and hip armour were very comfortable and then jeans are a good weight. Heavier than a normal jean obviously, but very comfortable.

dean owens

Hippopotomonstrosesquiped
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.ccf-unc.org
how well will that much kevlar breathe on a hot day? i really like the looks of them... meaning the amount of kevlar... but i wonder how hot they'd be on a 100 degree day with humidity.

Popeye70

Reaction score
Visit site
I just ordered 2 pairs of jeans from Hoods yesterday, but naturally I haven't received them yet. The service has been excellent - they sent me an email with a question regarding my order within hours of me placing the order, and confirmed my answer just as quickly.

I ordered from Hoods as they let you select the inseam lenght. From what I have seen on the Draggins site, they only make 34" inseam according to their web site.

spine

Reaction score
www.shop4biker.co.uk
As you say, the proof is in the hot weather. Seeing as our summer was all of one week, well, we shall have to wait and see.
I'd rather have more protection (more kevlar) than less. Also, it came to £107.95 for the jeans, pair of hip armour, pair of knee armour and postage from Hood. If I wanted Hornees or Draggin, they'd cost from £135 without armour and without postage. And they have less kevlar. So, that was definately the clincher in the end and also there being good reports on Hood on other sites.

I must say the quality is outstanding, and as Popeye said, you can choose leg length, which was ideal for me, not having common leg length. Customers service brill. For those buying in the UK, I ordered 2pm on Thursday, they despatched Friday by Parcelforce and arrived with me Tuesday. Fab!

Which ones did you order, Popeye? Mine were the K7 black jean to match my FZ6. :)