Anyone had cooling issues?

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
I havent had any overheating issues with her, but I do sit in alot of traffic, and I do long trips from Atlanta to Tampa (which is HOT in the summer). that being said, where does everybodys temp run?
mine rarely gets above 2 bars when riding and I have only noticed it go up to 4bars once.

does anyone offer a larger capacity radiator for the FZ6? Would a bigger rad ever be needed? even on a hot track day?

sorry, i kinda got on a cooling system kick after replacing the radiator in my car. :rolleyes:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
My 07 runs about 180 degree's in SW Florida, med traffice in the summer. If stuck at a long light, might go to 200 degress. I don't think my fan has ever kicked on (and yes, it does work).

I'd suggest keeping fresh anti-freeze (the manual calls for replacement every 2 years) and make sure your fan is working. Putting something (duct tape, something) inbetween the radiator and the fan to rocks from jambing up the fan would help.

I believe there's some additives, or other anti-freezes that probably work better than the prestone.

The below pic's are that of an aluminum shield I made up to keep rocks/pebbles from getting inbetween the fan/radiator.

Last edited:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
08 faired FZ hits 210 - 220 in standing traffic i.e. long lights + stop, stop, stop & go, stop, stop, stop traffic with new 50/50 mix on 85+F days. IIRC the fan comes on @220.

I've seen it at 225F with the fan on and kicks out at ~219F. Humidity on those days was like 60% or higher.

Its not problem at those temps but I placed a thick line on the outside of the fan using a silver Sharpie so I can glance at it and confirm its rotating. Also on your Pre-Ride inspection, check the fan by spinning it by hand to confirm its free to rotate.

Also on the real hot days you might opt for Premium fuel to reduce detonation on take off. Hint; when it hits 190 it can detonate/ping/rattle/etc.

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
My 2004 FZ6 usually is at 2 bars when riding but will hit 3 during the summer. When stopped in traffic on hot days (above 90 with high humidity) it will cycle between 3 and 4 bars. Seems like the fan kick in at the same time it hits 5 bars so it will flicker on then off. Have thought about changing the thermostat but apparently they are reliable. Have riden from Birmingham to Sarasota in mid July three times and it is hot but the bike did fine. Worst was when I stopped by Gainsville to see my son and was caught in rush hour traffic in full gear, that was HOT but the bike did fine.

Thanks for reminding me to put a coolant change, brake fluid change etc on my list for the next couple of months.

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for reminding me to put a coolant change, brake fluid change etc on my list for the next couple of months.

^:welcome:....its my job :thumbup:

I actually have a mesh screen over my radiator, worked great already!! theres a decent dent in it from a rock or other road hazard object.
lol those dang gravel roads sure do make me take extreme care whenever im on a street bike.....

the previous owner actually wired the fan to a rocker switch so that it can be manually turned on, as well as coming on automatically.

I was just wonderin because I know the traffic around Bradenton on Anna Marie island is HELLish... and It is freakin HOT in the summer.
its not unbearable here in atlanta tho. :D

Last edited:

Grouse

Reaction score
Visit site
The only cooling issues I have is that coolant temp only gets to 64-66c when the bike is moving at this time of year. Only gets into the 70's when in standing traffic. Roll on summer, warm engine and warm fingers.

Clovis

Reaction score
Visit site
Temps on my 07 are about the same. In the summer the normal (moving) temp is 190ish and it jumps to 210-220 in traffic. If it's really hot and I'm stuck in bumper to bumper traffic (Denver) I'll slowly lane split to move up.

Sitting in traffic for an extended period with the fans running can drain the battery, not to mention physically drain me.

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
we cant lane split here :spank::spank::spank: not even just idling with the clutch out in 1st...
cops go absolutely nuts, they like to call it "reckless behavior" that way you get 2 rather big tickets.....:eek::eek:

Clovis

Reaction score
Visit site
Can't here either. It's a careless driving ticket (4 points, same as a speeding ticket).

we cant lane split here :spank::spank::spank: not even just idling with the clutch out in 1st...
cops go absolutely nuts, they like to call it "reckless behavior" that way you get 2 rather big tickets.....:eek::eek: