Anybody with throttle lock system please comment

Mart Man FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
The wife and I both have FZ6's. The wife has bad hands and the vibration puts her hands to sleep (not a good thing on a bike) after about an hour of riding.

I've seen the Throttlemeister, but it's kind of expensive at $120.00 and looks like it might be difficult to engage with gloves on.

Can any of you that have the Throttlemeister comment on how you like it. If you've found another that works with our throttle type put up some photos of what you use.

I've seen the thread where they're using an O-Ring but I know she won't be able to work with that. Any advice you can provide would be greatly appriciated.

I know I had a problem with my right hand on longer rides, but I'm kinda getting used to it. I did a 432 mile day trip last week with one 3 hour non stop segment. The right hand was pretty uncomfortable after that one.

Anyway TIA for any input.

codeblue

winter soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Just finished installing my Throttlemeister throttle control lock a half hour ago, haven't had the chance to try it out yet. It is expensive than most throttle locks, but it is an exceptional quality, and very well made. Installation only took 10 minutes, but the trick is adjusting the right amount of tension (with the use of washer shims) so when you finally use it, it will engage (by means of friction) correctly. I got myself the black matte in standard, it comes in silver (matte), high polished silver, black and black milled. It does "feel" heavier compared to the OEM bar ends, I can't imagine how much more for the heavy version. I plan to try it out tomorrow and will post then.
:Sport:

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I use the Throttlemeister, I preferred it to the others as it doesn't clutter up the look of the handlebars at all.
You certainly can engage/disengage it with gloves on, you basically grab the whole bar end and twist. Supposedly you can grab the throttle and the 'meister at the same time as you're accelerating up the on-ramp, but I keep forgetting to grab them both.

Mart Man FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the replys. The input was very helpful. I think I'm leaning towards this system. The cost is very attractive compared to the Throttlemeister, and it should be much easier to engage. Now the search will be on to find the best price.

pack.jpg

surfinfazer

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the replys. The input was very helpful. I think I'm leaning towards this system. The cost is very attractive compared to the Throttlemeister, and it should be much easier to engage. Now the search will be on to find the best price.

pack.jpg

I'll give you the best price. I have one that was on my bike for exactly 25 minutes. I installed it, went for a ride, then took it back off again. I can tell you that it went on in about 10 minutes, no hassle at all. I can also tell you that it works great, and even looks ok. It's not as slick as the throttlemeister unit, but it looks good enough. The real problem for me is my hands. I wear a size 3XL glove (try finding a pair of those), and they are just a little too wide to fit on the grips with the vista installed. I'd say that for my hand, there is mayble a 1/4 inch too little space, which causes the outside of my palm to rest on the bump on the outside of the grips. It's not even that big of a deal, and I would have ridden with it for longer, but I could see that I would eventually tire of the situation, so I just took them off sooner than later. If you are interested, I'll do $25 shipped. I have all the parts, and even the packaging, everything is in new condition. PM me if you are interested.

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I had Vista Cruise on my Intruder and it was great for long trips on relatively straight roads. Totally useless in towns.

If you fit crampbuster, which I also had on the Intruder. When you find the right position for it, tape it with double sided tape so it doesn`t move around.

Steve

Mart Man FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
If you fit crampbuster, which I also had on the Intruder. When you find the right position for it, tape it with double sided tape so it doesn`t move around.

Steve

I've tried the crampbuster on my Vulcan Mean Streak, and my FZ. I just don't care for them. On both bike I actually found the crampbuster caused more fatigue than with nothing at all. Everybody's different. I had a friend with a VTX 1800 and he loved his. I'm going to hit my local Cycle Gear store this afternoon. Hopefully they've got them in stock since I'll need two kits.

I've also noticed that California Sport Touring carries them. I just got my grip puppies from them yesterday, so I know I can get them there. There shop is only about 45 miles from my house.

surfinfazer

Reaction score
Visit site
Here ya go and trust me there are all sorts of folks in that 3XL class including me..... Depending on the manufacturer I go 2XL to 3XL... You can get some of these in 4XL.

Icon motorcycle gloves

Those look nice. I never buy gloves without trying them on first, and the local dealer only carries the teknic gear in my size, so that's what I buy. Not bad, but not great. Sorry to jack the thread... I'll shut up now.

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
I have had Miester's on several bikes. Nice quality but touchy to operate. I think she would find the vista lock easier to operate.

The real key on longer rides when using the lock is to move your hand and wrist around in streching motions to keep the flexability in your wrists.

As you know throttle locks are not for use in town or twisty roads but on I-5 or 99 you will love it.

Mart Man FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
As you know throttle locks are not for use in town or twisty roads but on I-5 or 99 you will love it.

Yeah, I've had them on several of my bikes. The idea is just to be able to take the right hand off the bars for a couple minutes every once in a while to give it a rest like you can on the clutch side. It really helps on the longer rides.

Mart Man FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, just got back from Cycle Gear, and they had one Vista Cruise in stock so I installed it on my wifes FZ. It works very well, but I noticed that with the grip puppies installed, I don't think I'll need a cruise control.

I must say that those grip puppies make a pretty big difference. The larger diameter of the grips along with the soft material gripping the gloves better required hardly any effort to hold the throttle. I'm pretty sure the wife's going to like the cruise control, but I'm going to do some long rides to evaluate if I need something on mine.

Thanks for your guys inputs as well as the link to the photographic how too. I just used that instead of reading the install instructions. Worked great and very easy to install.

codeblue

winter soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So I finally got the chance to test out my newly installed Throttlemeister throttle control lock and I am pleased to say that it works flawlessly. Although I did not ride out on the freeway, there were plenty of long empty streets to try it out in low speed (35-45mph). I am very happy with the ease of installation and use, even with full gauntlets on. Highly recommend the Throttlemeister to anyone, just save up for the cost.

Beknatok

Reaction score
Visit site
Guess I'm a tad late, but I'll chime in anyway.

I have the Vista universal on my Vulcan and the Throttlemeisters on my FZ6, and love 'em both. The TMs are super easy to engage, just take my hand off the throttle for a moment, twist on/off, and I'm back on as before. I went with the heavy bar ends and they look really sweet too.