Any Advice for a Newbie to the FZ6?

NorcoT

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey all, I just recently sold my trusty XJ600 Diversion as I wanted a more modern bike and bought myself a 2004 FZ6 Fazer :rockon:

I'v got to say im absolutely loving it!

Anyhow, the previous owners have take great care of it and its in great condition, I intend to keep it this way. As every bike has traits and common 'issues' I was wondering what the FZ6's common problems are if there are any!?

i.e. what should I look out for / make sure I do to ensure its all good (apart from the obvious ones like oil the chain / regular oil and filter changes etc..).

Chri5

Reaction score
Visit site
ive had mine for 4 year its kept outside near the coast with out a cover (i know not good for it ) only typical maintenance chain tyres oil etc and it is still running sweet with 30k had to doing bearings once (wheels and fork head)

degake

Stop flashing!! G$*%£#
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: to the forum :rockon:
Please take a minute and introduce yourself in the "new member" thread, and post us some pictures of your FZ6 as :needpics: :BLAA:

Since your bike is an '04, check with the previous owner or local dealership if it was affected with the TPS issue and if it has been replaced.
Also, ask for the sprocket nut issue... It might not have been needed, but better be safe than sorry :)

These are the only 2 issues that have been discovered with the FZ6 ('04-'05).
As for the rest; these bikes and engines are pretty bulletproof :D
There isn't that much that can go wrong :)
Maybe you could check your airbox and see if there is any dirt, and check your steering head for some play (the stock Yamaha ones have "fallen apart" with some members :D) If so, you'll need to replace your steering head bearings with e.g. All Balls bearings.

Anyhow; ride safe and post often :rockon:

Grtz,

Degake

Dougie

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey all, I just recently sold my trusty XJ600 Diversion as I wanted a more modern bike and bought myself a 2004 FZ6 Fazer :rockon:

I'v got to say im absolutely loving it!

Anyhow, the previous owners have take great care of it and its in great condition, I intend to keep it this way. As every bike has traits and common 'issues' I was wondering what the FZ6's common problems are if there are any!?

i.e. what should I look out for / make sure I do to ensure its all good (apart from the obvious ones like oil the chain / regular oil and filter changes etc..).
You've answered your own question m8,ie-the obvious,since ive been into bigger bikes ive always shortened the service intervals,ie if Yamaha state(as in our case)oil change every 4k miles,i'll change it every 2-2.5k,might seem extra expense but trust me its well worth it,also use only good quality oil,a freind yrs ago couriered an old xj900 that by the time he sold it had over 75k(miles)on the clock and all mechanically that it had done was the cam chain,he changed his lubes at half the advised intervals......just my opinion:thumbup:

dolau

Reaction score
Visit site
Yep- just enjoy it...... and get training!

Avon and Somerset Police doing bikesafe and track time at Castle Combe Saturday 2nd June and still some places left- easy ride across from Bristol and a few other Fazers riders off FOC-U turning up to have a go. I did it last year and doing it again this year

dolau

Reaction score
Visit site
Quick reminder for south west focers.... Bikesafe show at Castle Combre race track on Saturday

I guess its too late to book now but 50 Police bikes line astern is worth a look plus stalls etc plus you can press your nose up against the wire and watch me go round.

I have my FZ^ forum T shirt ready and I have a 2009 blue one.... somewhere near the back and going farther back in the pack ;((((

MrMogensen

... That's me!
Reaction score
Visit site
Since your bike is an '04, check with the previous owner or local dealership if it was affected with the TPS issue and if it has been replaced.
Also, ask for the sprocket nut issue... It might not have been needed, but better be safe than sorry :)

Front sprocket nut?

SteveH41

Reaction score
Visit site
Front sprocket nut?

I have asked this of the dealer supplying my 2005 FZ6, they are going to inspect the driveshaft for me and replace the front sprocket nut / washer anyway, from my reading of various forums it appears that it was 9mm originally and has now been upgraded to 12mm, they also threadlock the nut onto the shaft when refitting.

philz

Reaction score
Visit site
Quick reminder for south west focers.... Bikesafe show at Castle Combre race track on Saturday

I guess its too late to book now but 50 Police bikes line astern is worth a look plus stalls etc plus you can press your nose up against the wire and watch me go round.

I have my FZ^ forum T shirt ready and I have a 2009 blue one.... somewhere near the back and going farther back in the pack ;((((

I think I saw you there today. Blue FZ forum T-shirt, watching Mattie Griffin on track? I meant to come over and say hi but you'd gone by the time I got back from speaking to the photographer (I was the guy in the stunt area with the water - anyone who was there will understand!)

dolau

Reaction score
Visit site
Was your bike parked just by the entrance to the pit lane? outside the registration room? I saw a fancy black one there.

Yes I understand the water reference- fancy dropping a nice Beeemer like that off the sidestand..... I laughed! :cheer: but he was pretty good at the stunts!

That was pretty fancy the start straight on the police bike on one wheel... and the guy with the broken back on the twist and go aprillia.... well- he was way faster than me but kept having to come back in to have his feet velcroed to the footpegs- what amazing courage!

Did you do track time? I was embarrased I started behinfd the instructors and finished last and got lapped- had my baby £12 camera running- I am always amazed by the little camera (rather than my biking skills!)- go on have a laugh!

Castle Combe 2012 video by dolau - Photobucket

philz

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, that was mine. Naked FZ6 parked on the edge of the carpark.

I didn't do any track time, only passed my test about 18 months ago so still taking it relatively easy. From watching your video I'd be tempted to try it though, looked good fun (I've driven round Combe before just not on a bike)

dolau

Reaction score
Visit site
I think that is a video on how not to do it ... but the good thing is - as slow as you go there is no-one going to overtake or undertake you on the bends- they have to stack up behind you. I was appaled at my riding - I ride faster than that on the road and the temptation surely should be to use the double width road and take advantage of the fact that there isnt a white van man coming towards you... just doesnt seem to work for me- my brain tells me I am going to slide on the corners and hence I still have wide chicken strips. My mate is going to take me to a set of bends and we are going to go back and forwards until I have gained soem cornering confidence. I have done bikesafe and IAM so I know the theory but that all seems to go tits up when I get on a track- thats the second thime I have done that track so I have no excuse that I didnt know the lines

NorcoT

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the heads up guys. I looked into the Throttle Position Sensor problem and the Front Sprocket Nut.

Checked with the dealer and indeed mine was a recall model, but they already swapped the sensor with one of the previous owners. And the front sprocket nut has been sorted in a previous service (according to the service history).

Everything else seems great :) Love it! I do however now seem to be missing a rear disc rotor bolt.. No idea when it came loose but replacement on its way and a retorque of all my bolts may be in order!

Cheers

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I do however now seem to be missing a rear disc rotor bolt.. No idea when it came loose but replacement on its way and a retorque of all my bolts may be in order!

Cheers

Be VERY careful retorquing the engine mount bolts!

Many, many, MANY people have stripped these when checking them, or mounting sliders.

Cheers,
Rick

NorcoT

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the heads up, I have a torque wrench, I guess if I use the correct torque settings when checking my bolts I should be safe.