Another Homemade Saddlebag Support

s101custom

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys,

This is my first post! I've gained a bunch of info on this site, so I thought I would forward along my saddlebag supports in case someone else is looking to make them but dosent have the luxury of extensive tool collections. I put these together in an afternoon with 5 ft of 1/2" galvanized conduit, a 5 lbs mini sledge, an electric drill and a file to remove sharp edges. I know many will criticize me not using a EMT conduit bender. but for a $3 project I didn't feel like buying a $40 tool. I also personally like the red touch, and will be building a rack in the same color.

Last edited:

Wh0M3

Reaction score
Visit site
I think it looks good, I've been thinking of doing something because I'm not liking how the bags tend to sag without the support. It's more about the look than anything else. I might try something like this as well.

Oh and :welcome: great first post. :rockon:

phranK2k11

Chat Camper :)
Reaction score
Visit site
The flat spots that are visible from looking straight on from behind would be a good place for some red reflective tape.

The best part of a DIY project is telling others that say they woulda done it different "we'll you can when you do yours"

IY is the best way to do it LOL

s101custom

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks Guys. I can take some detail photos later tonight. I just used a 30mm bolt and a couple of fender washers through the upper passenger peg sub frame with a nut on the inside ( it doesn't interfere with 1) passenger peg folding or 2) a passenger using the pegs.) the upper mount is just secured by the license plate bracket bolt. It should go without saying that the arrangement works with the stock fender/license plate bracket, but would also work with a FE eliminator arrangement. its a good point Phrank, i was actually considering that myself, or a less practical but astheticaly pleasing "yamaha" decals on each side or something.

Last edited:

s101custom

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello Tom, here are the photos you requested and this is how i mounted it. Its just a simple two washers pinched between the passenger peg bracket on the low end and as simple as slipping the top of the support bar between the mounting bolt that connects license plate holder the upper part of the frame. it takes a few minutes to get the top bolt tightened because the tight working space, but overall a simple mounting that is easily removable.

Afgarrystan

Reaction score
Visit site
Dude, just joined myself and the first post I put up has just been solved by your post, nice one. Like ltdillard, could do with a side shot of the fixing. Cheers mate

s101custom

Reaction score
Visit site
Afgarry- I'm glad you found my post helpful! Did the reply ( above) I sent with the close-ups not answer the question? i don't what else i could have taken a photo of....