Another gas thread....i know i know but read

oaks

~~~~~
Reaction score
Visit site
are the US bikes optimised for lower octane fuel?

the lowest i can get here is 95, which is what i use

A few things things going on here:

Most of the world uses the RON octane rating system -- like the 95 you see. North America uses (RON+MON)/2 which bring that number down to ~90.

I recall stations in Germany stopped selling the lowest octane fuel (what we in the US would call Regular Unleaded -- (R+M)/2 = ~87) back in 2008. I reckon the UK did the same, so the lowest available there is the equivalent to US mid-grade gasoline.

The FZ6 manual calls for RON of 91 or higher, or (RON+MON)/2 of 86 or higher. Regular unleaded is (RON+MON)/2=87 at my local Shell (and is around $0.15/gallon cheaper than mid/89, $0.30 than premium/93) so that's what I use in my vehicles without problems.

Dave in Houston

Reaction score
Visit site
the price of premium vs regular (about .05¢ a gallon) and the rest of the markup goes to the station

Actually, I am seeing spreads between PBOB and RBOB of anywhere between 15 and 35 cents per gallon, New York Harbor price. Maybe 20 cents on average.

FYI, RBOB means reformulated blendstock for oxygenate blending. PBOB means premium RBOB. Refineries don't generally make gasoline any more. Instead they make these blend stocks that are ready to have the ethanol mixed in. That's because the ethanol picks up water too easily, so it has to be splash blended at the shipping terminals.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Im not talking about prices at the pump i was talking about from the oil companys there is only a. 05¢ difference. at the pump here there is a .30¢ markup

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk

Dave in Houston

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm talking about the New York Harbor price, which is the biggest market for trading commodities. The individual gas stations will always pay more than the New York Harbor price.

Evitzee

Reaction score
Visit site
The whole premise of this thread was that somehow this thread was 'different' from previous threads about gas. Guess what? .... it's the same old argument. Everybody, do what you want, but enough of the 'I feel' or 'I think' arguments. It's all personal opinions that cannot be proved one way or the other. My MO is 'put gas in tank, ride, enjoy, repeat', it's worked fine for over 35 years of riding. Do what is important to you, but enough of the one upmanship, 'I know better' arguments that always populate these threads.

Last edited:

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
The whole premise of this thread was that somehow this thread was 'different' from previous threads about gas. Guess what? .... it's the same old argument. Everybody, do what you want, but enough of the 'I feel' or 'I think' arguments. It's all personal opinions that cannot be proved one way or the other. My MO is 'put gas in tank, ride, enjoy, repeat', it's worked fine for over 35 years of riding. Do what is important to you, but enough of the one upmanship, 'I know better' arguments that always populate these threads.

Im the op and the whole purpose that i posted was because i saw that sticker that read 91 ron min but i was ignorant to the fact that 91ron = us 87......oh well

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk

ohgood

Reaction score
Visit site
The new oil thread is a gas thread.

The difference is the brand, Chevron for example has Techtron cleaner in the fuel, where as Sam Club most likely doesn't. That is what keeps a motor cleaner vs octane.

Sent from my LG-P925 using Tapatalk

You could always pour in some Dawn if you're worried about an engine getting "dirty " on the inside.

Do ypiu prefer dish soap or acceleration?

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Agreed, and here is some simple logic on when to upgrade.

If you're climate is hot 90's +++ F (32C) and take off from dead stop AND hear it detonate on Regular low octane i.e. 87 etc; than you should be running higher octane fuel! When the climate's cold, most of us can get away with low octane fuel.

Let your ears help you decide. . .

Pranqster

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
It's all marketing dude...They have got you believing that "hook line and sinker"... they did their job well then.... I also own oils stock (Canadian, anyway) so thanks for buying into "more expensive is better" theme... I am way older than you and have used regular fuel in every vehicle I have own in the last 35 years... Low compression ratios, high compression ratios... carbs, fuel injection.... I have had them all... Never once had a fuel related issue, no pinging, no knocking and no gummed up anything... So keep putting that premium fuel in your vehicles... I need my retirement cottage... :D

You are Canadian, what do you know (they don't even trust you to own a handgun) :Flip:

Last edited:

Clovis

Reaction score
Visit site
I bought my 07 FZ6 brand new and I've always used regular (typically 85, in some areas its 87) and I've never had any problems with ping/knock.

I tried premium in the bike this summer (a buddy paid for my tank and his bike takes premium). I couldn't tell any difference.

I just chop regular fuel as another win for the FZ6. Everything about this bike is inexpensive, especially compared to say, well any ducati. 7,000 valve check intervauls??

HappyHighwayman

Reaction score
Visit site
You know that's a myth , right? :)

It can be done, can be a hassle, but can be done.....

I owned a handgun in Canada. Just take the restricted firearms training course and the unrestricted firearms training course and get your license.

As for the fuel thing I can't believe we're still discussion it. "Premium" has nothing to do with the quality of fuel!

All the benefits people have mentioned are purely anecdotal.