anodized aluminum fading

NewKidOnTheBlock

Reaction score
Visit site
Has anyone had problems with their anodized parts fading? I'm about to pick up a two brothers exhaust from another forum member and the gold rings right before magnesium end cap have faded quite a bit.

is there anything that can be done short of replacing it?

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
There are all sorts of metal polishing products out there that can get it looking like new again!!

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
I can't think of any names right off hand but any product for aluminum wheels should work fine.

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah anodized aluminum does fade. The red adjusters on my levers and the red banjo bolts on my brake lines are pink now.

William

Reaction score
Visit site
As mentioned above, the anodized layer is pretty thin. If the ring comes off, and it was important to you for it to be real nice, there are small shops all over that will touch it up for you. The shop I use for powder coating does anodizing…probably places that do chrome plating also. Not sure what they charge for anodizing; hopefully not too much.

Also a bead-blasting of the rest of the can and cap with crushed walnut shell or some other light media would do those parts well. I’ve used it on aluminum and magnesium cases and hubs and it comes out awesome. I have a cheap/simple gravity fed blaster I got at Harbor Freight and do my stuff right in my back yard...wearing a respirator, of course. :)

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm actually looking into getting it re-anodized, Ive been quoted 150$ by one person so far for all 4 pieces 0.0

If you only knew how little effort goes into this process you'd cringe. . . Find a friend to sneak it in! :)

FYI: for future reference don't be tempted to use caustic cleaners (acids, bleach, citrus etc) on anodized aluminum as it does remove a little bit of material each time. Even household bathroom wipes for cleaning have bleach which remove material.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Another idea... If you like doing stuff yourself you could take the time to sand off the anodizing, and keep working your way up in grit until you get the shine/polish your wanting and then hit it with some high temp clear coat