angel gt vs pilot POWER 3

GravisMaximus

Reaction score
Visit site
Time for a new set of tires. These are my two choices. Note its not the ,road 3. Would like your input on mileages and dry grip. I found the michelins for 30 less. What one would you go with and why.

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
I've been considering the Angel GT as well but I am comparing them to the function of a similiar tire - sport touring. I have used 2 sets of Pilot Road 2 and have been very happy with them. I would expect the Angel GT to perform just as well. The jury is out as to how many miles can be gotten out of them. the PR2 are typically giving 12k miles or better.

The Power on the other hand is a sticky super sport tire. I would expect the grip to be outstanding but you won't get nearly as many miles from it as the Angel GT. For $30 more I would go with the Angel GT

seacliff

Reaction score
Visit site
I've had an angel GT rear tire for half last summer (due to a nail :spank:) and I love it. I just got my front angel replaced by a GT but has yet to try it... winter obligate.

I ride rain or shine, cold(0c) or warm(38c), and never had any issue with grip. I can't compare it to PR3 though, I only tried the stock FZ6 dunlop and Pirelli Angel's.

Here's a test that motorad have done to compare the GT's against PR3, Battelax and the Z8.

New Pirelli Angel GT sport touring tyre is number one in its segment for mileage

ctbandit

Fazer, don't even know er
Reaction score
Visit site
Grip is fantastic on the angel gt so i wouldn't hesitate to get those unless you are seriously pushing your tires

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
It's funny how explicitly the OP stated he's comparing the pilot POWER 3 and not the pilot Road 3, yet we still have people talking about the PR3 instead...

I have no useful information on the thread (bike had a PP2 on the rear when I got it, but because the front was so worn I can't really speak to how well the rear performed at the time)

GravisMaximus

Reaction score
Visit site
That always seems to happen, lol :spank: but I tried to get the focus on just the two tires.
I run crosa 3's now and loved them, but only get 3k from them. Want a tire I can get 6k from. Do you think the power 3s can do it? I like the tread design more and not having sipes going to the egde has got to mean more grip on a heavy lean.

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
That always seems to happen, lol :spank: but I tried to get the focus on just the two tires.
I run crosa 3's now and loved them, but only get 3k from them. Want a tire I can get 6k from. Do you think the power 3s can do it? I like the tread design more and not having sipes going to the egde has got to mean more grip on a heavy lean.

Used to work for a tire company, not that it matters too much. I'd say you'll probably get 5-6k out of the Power 3s, they're supposed to have 20% better treadlife than the 2's, and I'd been thinking the 2's got around 4500. It'll all depend on how you're riding though.

I think you might be right with that assumption (on a good, dry surface) Mainly I wouldn't assume that someone would put a bike at an extreme enough lean angle to get to the sipe free zone when you're on a surface that isn't clean and dry (don't cite motogp please!)

It will defiintely help the wear at the edge when cornering under throttle, which is why most sport touring tires may go all the way to the edge with their sipes but a sport/track tire will have a clean edge.

Sipes do more than just divert water, they help with heat dissipation, load balancing, noise and feel of the tire, and sometimes you'll have sipes hidden inside the tire (Avon does this, I believe) that aren't visible from the surface to better transfer the heat.

tl;dr - I'd expect 5k, maybe 6k out of the PP3s. They are definitely grippy enough, the lack of edge siping will make them a more track friendly tire than the PR3, among many other reasons.

MattR302

Awesomeness, Inc.
Reaction score
Visit site
This is apples and oranges, in my opinion. Do you want a sport tire, or a sport-touring tire? Is this for a mostly-street bike, or a mostly-track bike?

The Angel GT's should definitely get you well over 6k miles, and based on pictures CTbandit posted in another thread, they seem plenty sticky. I will be ordering a set of them for my bike within the next week or so.

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
I've had S20's, PR2's, PP3's and PR3's as for my resume

The Pilot Power 3's were by far my favorite for the first 3000 miles of their life. My front lasted 10,000 miles and I had 2 rears, one lasting 4,000 (replaced early before a long trip) and the other lasting 6,000 miles. The front scalloped at about 5,000 miles and began to get sketchy traction, but tolerable.

Again for the first 3,000 miles the grip, lean in and general confidence inspiring nature of the PP3's was awesome.

I sport ride and daily commute on my bike, so it was exposed to a lot of heat cycles and that may be what caused the loss of stickiness so early, even tough there was a lot of tread left. Another forum member on the Fz1 site who uses their bike for mostly sport riding noted that around 3-4,000 there began to be a little inclination to slip in their rear.

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
Time for a new set of tires. These are my two choices. Note its not the ,road 3. Would like your input on mileages and dry grip. I found the michelins for 30 less. What one would you go with and why.

the Angel GT and Power 3 are two completely different tires.

Angel GT - sport touring tire hard compound for highway miles and maximum distance in the center and the sides are softer for cornering. compares to the Pilot Road 3, not the Power 3

Pilot Power 3 - Sport tire stickier tire that should corner better. wont last as long as the ST tires. Comparable to the Pirelli Diablos i believe.

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
I've had S20's, PR2's, PP3's and PR3's as for my resume

The Pilot Power 3's were by far my favorite for the first 3000 miles of their life. My front lasted 10,000 miles and I had 2 rears, one lasting 4,000 (replaced early before a long trip) and the other lasting 6,000 miles. The front scalloped at about 5,000 miles and began to get sketchy traction, but tolerable.

Again for the first 3,000 miles the grip, lean in and general confidence inspiring nature of the PP3's was awesome.

I sport ride and daily commute on my bike, so it was exposed to a lot of heat cycles and that may be what caused the loss of stickiness so early, even tough there was a lot of tread left. Another forum member on the Fz1 site who uses their bike for mostly sport riding noted that around 3-4,000 there began to be a little inclination to slip in their rear.

actually the Power 3s should only last about 5-6k miles for the front. i wouldn't push a "Sport" tire for much more than 5,000 miles.

GravisMaximus

Reaction score
Visit site
I know there apples to oranges.... was looking to know what the mileage is approximately on them. So thanks everyone for the response. After having the corsa 3 and getting 3k on them 6k is double and I get to keep the grip? Sold!!!:rockon: just bought the power 3s, hope I get that double mileage. Found the set for 253 to my door at americanmototire .

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The Pilot Power 3's is a relatively young generation tire, superseding the Pilot Pures. Not too many reviews since most are still installed, including myself. Unless you're Ssky0078, who's been riding his ass off! Over 20k in 2013.

After wearing out my stock Dunlops, I have gone through the Pilot Powers, Pilot Powers 2CT's, Pilot Power Pures X 3, and now working on the PP 3's.

seacliff

Reaction score
Visit site
It's funny how explicitly the OP stated he's comparing the pilot POWER 3 and not the pilot Road 3, yet we still have people talking about the PR3 instead...

Haha! sorry.. you mention road in your post .. I assumed the rest.
My fault for not reading the post fully! :)

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
I know there apples to oranges.... was looking to know what the mileage is approximately on them. So thanks everyone for the response. After having the corsa 3 and getting 3k on them 6k is double and I get to keep the grip? Sold!!!:rockon: just bought the power 3s, hope I get that double mileage. Found the set for 253 to my door at americanmototire .

Hope you enjoy them. The first 3,000 miles is amazing, the last 3,000 miles if you push to 6,000 be a little more cautious. They like to step out a little more.

GravisMaximus

Reaction score
Visit site
Got them today, wow only 3 days.... super fast handling and shipping. Any way the dot dates are 4513 and 3813 so they we only on the shelf four months. Now I just have to wait till spring to test them :Flash: