An embarrassing accident today....

Davey

Reaction score
Visit site
So, the title might make you think I finally got what was coming to me on the infamous Paris peripherique (notorious ring road around Paris, full of idiot cagers and scooter riders). However, this is something a little different, and I would like to assure everyone that after the 'episode' - I am ok and completely uninjured!

It all started just before leaving work. My commute home is an hour minimum during the rush hour, involving high levels of concentration whilst lane splitting/dodging idiots etc. Such concentration levels require good cognitive abilities. As everyone knows, hydration is very important and conducive to said cognitive abilities. In addition, I don't like to carry extra weight on the bike if I can help it. So downing just over half a litre of water before hitting the road conveniently seemed to kill two birds with one stone. Winner!

It's pretty cold here at the moment (it was -7 Celsius when I left for work this morning), so as you can imagine I am not only ATGATT, but have a few extra layers on for warmth. I've found a kidney belt works wonders for keeping my lower back warm too. So I have on:

Thermal underwear
Work trousers with a belt
Kidney belt
3 layer textile jacket
Textile armoured trousers, zipped to the jacket

So all in all toasty warm! However....

On arriving home I was absolutely busting for whizz, but first I have to put the bike away in the garage etc. I sprint from the garage to the front door. My girlfriend is home - great no need to fumble with my keys! Girlfriend is taking a nap and has decided to lock the door. By this time my face is contorted and I am hopping up and down, trying to get the keys from my pocket. I have 3 sets of keys - the bike key, the garage and front door key, and the keys for all the locks I have. They are all in the same pocket of course, and as with all situations when you are in a hurry, you can guarantee the key you need will be the last one to emerge from your pocket.

The front door is finally opened. I make it to the bathroom with nanoseconds to spare before my self control and pelvic floor muscles dramatically fail me. This is all where I start to realise the DISADVANTAGES of ATGATT. That's right I said it! This should be All The Gear MOST of the Time!

I undo the first zip of the jacket, only to realise I have the inner lining zip to negotiate also. This enables me to reach the zip and button of the riding trousers which are undone all too slowly for my liking to say the least. I then realise I can't get to my work trousers as the kidney belt is in the way. 3 velcro straps later the kidney belt is undone, but I cant get it off as my jacket is still attached to my trousers! Jacket off, kidney belt off, outer trousers down - but damn it! Work trousers belt, button and fly zip, and thermals to go! All undone as fast as possible but all in vain as I felt the warm deadline pass form my bladder into my boots....:eek:

I see the funny side though, and am sure I'll be up for some ribbing on this one! It must have happened to some of you.....right???? :confused:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:rof::rof: Almost! It gets even worse as you get near the deadline. So if you're expecting to, all your equipment is poised for the evacuation.
I'm never that geared up though. You've got all kinds of extra going on there! :rof:

Last edited:

stryken

Vertically Challenged
Reaction score
Visit site
We must now modify the old saying about wearing gear. No longer sweat, now its...

I'd rather piss myself than bleed. :BLAA:

Thanks for the story, it made me smile. And how true about getting worse as the deadline approches. I think the bladders hold reduces in proximity to the toilet. My question is did you bother to try to stop the flow at that point or did you just go ahead and enjoy it?? :D

Dunno

Reaction score
Visit site
:rof::rof::rof::rof:

Good on you for being a sport & sharing :thumbup:

At those temperatures it must have like pissing in a wet suit. You know it's wrong but it helps fight the hypothermia for 30 seconds.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
lmao!! That really sucks and I'm sorry, but... lmao!!
I'm sure it wasn't funny at the time, but I hope you can laugh at it now and it's awesome of you to share this with us!!

This is now officially part of winter gear:

20090409_Depends.jpg

TampaFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Too funny :Flash: and I think most of guys can relate. I need to remind myself to wizz before I leave work regardless how I feel. But really we've all done it and could tell stories. Much better out come then a dump on the bike into traffic so wash it out and have a nice drink of wine and relax. . :)

ELIZABETH

Goofball Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Visit site
LMAO!! I am laughing SO hard right now, and my husband, too!
Thank you for sharing your accidental adventure! :BLAA:
So what did your girlfriend say about this?
I gave you some rep for allowing us to laugh at your woes! :D

Circle

Reaction score
Visit site
I always get that feeling when riding over long distances. Do I stop after the next corner? Nah, it'll be the next one eh... And so this goes on until my back teeth are floating and it hurts to go over the slightest bump in the road. :eek:

Heres an idea

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry to hear about your accident, ok it wasn't what I was expecting but I do feel for you. I commute 45 mins one way and I've had several "close calls" especially in this winter weather.

Davey

Reaction score
Visit site
Ha ha! I am glad it amused you all! Man at the critical moment I was swearing like a trooper I can tell you! 'Dammit I can't, ****, get this, sh**, god damn zip, ****, arrrrgggggg!!!!!!!!!!! Oh well......'

I woke my girlfriend up from her nap - she wondered what the hell was going on and was shouting to me from upstairs, but I couldn't hear her as I still had my helmet on...

It happens and I have learnt my lesson now. I PMSL afterwards....:ban:

gav

Reaction score
Visit site
Much respect for sharing this with us! An unfortunate story but hopefully you can see the funny side to it now. You have my full sympathy as I know just what it's like after a long journey with the deadline approaching.

That last post made chuckle too, just the thought of you stood at the cr*pper half naked with your helmet still on lol.