Am I going to die?

catchm3fz

Reaction score
Visit site
It probably doesn't tell you that 90% didn't take the riders course or have there Cycle Endorsement eather.
Of course your limits are alot higher... you don't have a metal force field around you. lol Just watch where your going and just think in your head that everyone is trying to hit you. This way your always watching where the hell ur going. lol Its been working for me for years. Not even ! 1 ! close encounter. "knock on wood"

These figures are a few years old, but it did not change that much since:

Accidents:
Number of motorcycles involved in reported accidents (injuries, death or property damage) per 100 million vehicle miles traveled was 776.57 while the number of passenger cars involved in such accidents per 100 million miles traveled was only 423.13. In other words, you are almost twice as likely to be in an accident riding a motorcycle than riding in a passenger car.

Fatalities:
The fatality rate per 100,000 registered motorcycle was 64.88 while the number of fatalities per 100,000 registered passenger cars was only 15.72. In other words, motorcycle accidents are four times more likely to be deadly than are passenger car accidents.

Based on these stats, the answer to your question may not be as bright as everyone seems to think above ^^ :), but that is something you need to accept before getting on the streets...

What is important to mention though, is that IMO, a large majority of the ppl that end up being a fatality statistic brought it upon themselves by riding like squids (irresponsibly).... if you look deeper into the stats, you`ll find that most of them had alcohol in their blood, and/or were not wearing a helmet (or proper gear), and/or were speeding, and/or had never taken a motorcycle class...
In other words, if you respect yourself and your motorcycle, ride mellow, don't drink, wear all your gear, and take the MSF, your chances of surviving increase dramatically!

Finally, if you are serious about riding, get Proficient Motorcycling By David L. Hough... it's a great bathroom read :D

Good luck.

Scott

Nerd Extraordinaire
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
As long as all the paperwork goes well, I should be picking up my bike today. I've definitely got the first day jitters. Having not ridden anything with 2 wheels in 15 years, I'm worried about getting out of the parking lot. I think once I get around that first corner I'll be okay... but I'm just so expecting to hop on, go in a straight line about 30 feet, then fall over when I try to turn.

:squid:

J

jsteinb95

As long as all the paperwork goes well, I should be picking up my bike today. I've definitely got the first day jitters. Having not ridden anything with 2 wheels in 15 years, I'm worried about getting out of the parking lot. I think once I get around that first corner I'll be okay... but I'm just so expecting to hop on, go in a straight line about 30 feet, then fall over when I try to turn.

:squid:

Nah....you'll be fine. Don't over-think it.....just relax! :thumbup:

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm 29 years old. When I was a kid, we had a honda 75 that I rode non-stop from the time I was like 8 to 12. I haven't rode anything since then other than quads.

I'm in the process of buying a 2005 FZ6 right now as I type this...

Am I going to die? :confused:

Yes one day you will die.

But until then just enjoy the FZ6 its great fun.

Steve

Scott

Nerd Extraordinaire
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The bike is paid for. The bike and the title are waiting for me to pick them up after work... wish me luck! :)

Scott

Nerd Extraordinaire
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, as I said in the shift pattern thread (please don't read it, you'll actually get stupider), I got my bike home okay. But then when I was practicing some low speed turns I layed it down. It was a soft landing, no visible damage.

Learning quickly. I appreciate all the help and encouragement. I'm glad I found this site! :thumbup:

S

sportrider

we all die someday (except me, I'm going to live forever;) ) but to tell you your personal future, I would have to be psychic. the real question is :are you going to live? whats the point of living if your scared to ever really live?
my advise to you is ride smart, stay with in your limits (skill level) take the MSF new riders coarse, pretend your invisible and ride no faster then your guardian angel flies.

welcome aboard!!!:Sport:

MotoMom

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, as I said in the shift pattern thread (please don't read it, you'll actually get stupider), I got my bike home okay. But then when I was practicing some low speed turns I layed it down. It was a soft landing, no visible damage.

Learning quickly. I appreciate all the help and encouragement. I'm glad I found this site! :thumbup:

Well, better lay it down at low speed than on the highway at high speed...

Welcome aboard, and congrats on your purchase !

Enjoy and be safe !