Always wanted a Fazer, new FZ6 Owner!

riderlak1

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Eveyone! New member here from central IL. Just picked up a lovely 2007 FZ6 with 4,800 miles on it. Coming from a lot of bikes in my 10 year riding history from old 1970's restorations that I completed, to this bike being my newest one that I have owned.

Prior bikes in the best order I can remember:
1983 Yamaha 50 Scooter
1989 Honda Elite 250 Scooter
1987 Yamaha Radian (Radian #1)
1998 Suzuki Marauder
1972 Yamaha R5 250
1974 Yamaha RD400 Daytona
1975 Yamaha RD350 (parts bike for the 400)
1983 Suzuki GS650G
1989 Yamaha Radian (Radian #2)
1996 Honda CBR1000F
2002 Yamaha R6
2003 Kawasaki ZX7-R
1998 Suzuki Bandit 1200S (converted to naked)
1965 Honda Dream 305
1977 Kawasaki KZ400D
1998 Honda VFR800Fi
2007 Yamaha FZ6

So as you can see, I have had everything from old to new, sport, standard, cruiser, etc. And my dad rides too, so I get to ride a few of his toys as well.

ANYWAYS.....

I have always wanted to buy a Fazer....an old FZX700 Fazer from the late 80's. SO when I saw these bikes were the Fazer, but new and modern I jumped on the chance to own it!

The bike is a real gem to ride. Very comfortable for my 6'2'' 210 lbs frame. I don't get to ride a lot, so fuel injection was important to me, 180 rear tire for sport touring tires, good looks, comfort, fuel economy, and aftermarket support. The bike fits all of the needs very well, so far I have no regrets!

Upgrade plans include:
Dual Headlight Conversion
New tires on order tonight (Pilot Road 2's)
Suspension upgrade for adjustability (R6 forks? and ??? rear shock)
Smoke Windscreen (for looks)
Aftermarket exhaust (its too dang quiet!)

Been doing a lot of reading on here, thanks for the wealth of great knowledge! I have been and am still an active member over at maximum-suzuki.com forum and plan to make a good home of this forum as well!

Cheers!

PS: Here is a pic of the new ride!

GTPAddict

Just a dude with an FZ6
Reaction score
theblattners.com
Welcome to the forum!! I'll bet you've had a lot of fun with all those toys :) This is a great place to learn about your FZ6, it's been invaluable to me.

Enjoy it while you can! I have a friend that live in Illinois, cooold weather is coming :(

mxgolf

Motoup
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: to the best forum out there. Nice FZ6 I have the same year. Great motorcycle. I love mine too much. Ride Safe And Enjoy The Ride.

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome:
:welcome::welcome:
:welcome::welcome::welcome:
:welcome::welcome:
:welcome:

Its a great forum!

riderlak1

Reaction score
Visit site
How do you compare the honda vfr800 to the fz6? I was looking at getting an 04+ vfr800 one day.

The VFR was a great bike, had a lot of good things going for it. Mine was a 98, so it was a 5th gen bike. Had the gear driven cams, and Fuel Injection. The issue for me personally with that bike was that it was almost 100 lbs heavier than the FZ6. And it was older technology. That bike had 30k miles on it, so it was worn in well.

Overall the styling of the 6th gen bikes (the 04+) are much more appealing to the 5th gen bike that I had. Has the under tail mufflers, and the same v-4 engine. BUT.....the v-tec can be quirky on some bikes and the valve adjustments are EXPENSIVE due to the complicated cam setup. Plus they went away from gear driven cams to chain cams, and the tensioners tend to wear out and need replaced by manual ones.

Overall the VFR is a SOLID bike, if you want a heavier full faired bike. For me the FZ6 is lighter, quicker, more fun, more powerful, and overall a more advanced bike in most every way than my old VFR. But like I said, the newer gen bikes are a whole different bike, so your mileage may vary!

Hope that helped? :)

FZ6_Dude

FZ6 Corner Carver
Reaction score
Visit site
welcome to the forum :D and looks like you will enjoy your new ride... everyone I have talked to that owns this bike just loves it... good list of upgrades as well... for the suspension i would go with racetech springs and an ohlins rear shock over the R6 one's... the R6 suspension while adjustable is still set up for a 165lb. rider in stock set up... racetech front springs are about 100$ and some new fork oil I went with 10wt and it really helped I'm a little heavier than yourself...