Almost made it ...

clunk

Apprentice
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm a newish rider and have limited myself to weekend riding until my confidence level increased enough to deal with rush hour traffic. Well, this morning, the nice weather inspired me to do the morning commute on the bike. Although the winds were a bit gusty, and a couple of cars/trucks followed too closely (I quickly got out of their way), it was a generally nice trip in.

As I approached the guard at the front gate where I work, I slowed and pointed to my badge that I was displaying in an armband holder (suggestion from work buddy) and thought I was going to sail right through. Unfortunately, the guard started waving his hand in front of me and made me come to a stop so he could tell me, "Hey, one of your headlights is out." ARggggghhhhhh!!!!!

I think I'm going to find the time for the headlight mod this weekend.

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm a newish rider and have limited myself to weekend riding until my confidence level increased enough to deal with rush hour traffic. Well, this morning, the nice weather inspired me to do the morning commute on the bike. Although the winds were a bit gusty, and a couple of cars/trucks followed too closely (I quickly got out of their way), it was a generally nice trip in.

As I approached the guard at the front gate where I work, I slowed and pointed to my badge that I was displaying in an armband holder (suggestion from work buddy) and thought I was going to sail right through. Unfortunately, the guard started waving his hand in front of me and made me come to a stop so he could tell me, "Hey, one of your headlights is out." ARggggghhhhhh!!!!!

if this is your first time being told that it only gets more annoying each and every time!
congrats on you moment of zen before work!:thumbup:

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
In the meantime maybe answer "You mean my high beam?" After all, that's what it is. Well, maybe for us non-modified FZ6 headlight riders we should attach two front faring stickers. On says "Low Beam" and other says "High Beam." (Me plan on doing the headlight mod very soon)

W

wrightme43

Two headlamps are better than one anyway. I can see more of the right side road, and signs better now too.

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
The other day I was first at light waiting for green (& no subsequent cross traffic red runners) there was this CHP bike on opposite side waiting. I wasn't sure, but I sensed that officer was thinking "maybe I should let him know about/cite him for burned out headlight." He seemed to be fixated on my front fairing area. Maybe someday, FZ6 Forum members will email a massive, 1,000+ member e-signature or something petition to Yamaha USA to stop marketing the one-eyed FZ6...or else!

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
why not just ride with the brights on....

But, it's not polite to use high beam all the time if you're riding at night. Also, I don't really know, but I wouldn't want that both lights wear/burn out at roughly the same time (but this is unlikely??)

clunk

Apprentice
Reaction score
Visit site
why not just ride with the brights on....

It is common courtesy to dim your lights when going through the guard gate so that he isn't blinded as he tries to check your badge. I can't turn the headlights off to help him out, but I really don't think he'd appreciate my high beam ...

I've got wire, I've got the right connector (thanks PCHBreeze), and I think I have the time this weekend. Hopefully by Monday I'll have another low beam.

On the bright side, at least I know that after I do the mod, there are lots of people willing to let me know when one of the lights really does burn out.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Like Reiobard, I've never had it mentioned to me either. And I drive past guards at Hill AFB every day. :confused:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

I can honestly say thathas never happened to me. I have done biker dudes mod. it rocks. It can be installed in under 1 hour.
Good luck and welcome.