Almost hit 2 people, (not my fault)

Geoff

The Tall Guy!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So I was driving through another college and I came to a 4 way stop light intersection. At first the cross walk had the right away so I waited for the students to walk by. Then I had the right away so I started to drive and there is this student keeps walking looking at his cellphone and doesn't even look at me. I had already started to move, so I jam on the brakes so he can move his arsh along. Than.....Another person tries to jet out in front (while I still have the right away) of me after I started moving again. I almost hit that student. These students are not too bright. I was so worked up.

dturpen

Gamer/Bike Enthusiast
Reaction score
Visit site
Had a similar situation happen to me last night, although I wasn't driving. I was riding along with a friend and we were turning on to the road that connects to my house. It's dark outside and there are not streetlights on this street. So, we turn on to the street and there is a guy with two little kids near the intersection walking right in the middle of the street. My friend had to jam the brakes, and wait for them to go over to one side. Well, one of the kids goes the wrong way, but he's an older kid maybe 10-11 or so, but he decides to run back to the other side at the last second. So my friend had to jam the brakes again.

Some people are such idiots, and then they don't even teach their kids basic road safety. It's no wonder why some people get hit by cars.

ELIZABETH

Goofball Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Visit site
I live on a dead end street, and some of the parents seem to think the street is a play ground and don't even try to get the kids out of the way. Others are VERY conscientious about it. (Those are the ones I like best!) :thumbup:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
People are doing just about anything but living and being conscious in the present. Seems like everyone is busy texting and talking on the phone while mobile. The hands free laws are a joke and the only reason they passed them is for revenue because if they really cared about our safety these mobile devices wouldn't work while they were moving except in an emergency and then you would have to answer for an emergency call while moving.
It would be so easy to stop a mobile phone in motion except for emergency calls.

I'll bet it will take an Organization like Moms Against Mobile Device Users. I think we could see it in the future when we become more aware of what the actual statistics are. Sad because I'm sure there are a lot of device users that are pretty responsible.
All in all, It's the lack of consciousness in the present moment :rolleyes:

Wait a minute.....I just got a call..........:Flip:

Good on you and your consciousness Geoff! :rockon:

wlaroche

Reaction score
Visit site
People are doing just about anything but living and being conscious in the present. Seems like everyone is busy texting and talking on the phone while mobile. The hands free laws are a joke and the only reason they passed them is for revenue because if they really cared about our safety these mobile devices wouldn't work while they were moving except in an emergency and then you would have to answer for an emergency call while moving.
It would be so easy to stop a mobile phone in motion except for emergency calls.

I'll bet it will take an Organization like Moms Against Mobile Device Users. I think we could see it in the future when we become more aware of what the actual statistics are. Sad because I'm sure there are a lot of device users that are pretty responsible.
All in all, It's the lack of consciousness in the present moment :rolleyes:

Wait a minute.....I just got a call..........:Flip:

Good on you and your consciousness Geoff! :rockon:

I was taking the dog for his nightly walk last night. I was midway through the crosswalk when this young girl talking on the phone comes to the corner. Does not make a complete stop and turns right in from muttley missing him by a couple of feet. She grins, waves and keeps going. I had to yell on that one.:mad:

Last edited:

novaks47

Yeah!
Reaction score
Visit site
You should try driving around here when the high schools get out. They don't care in the slightest about cars. To them, it's everybody else can wait, because I have to walk across the street, and peds have the right of way. So that means they can just blindly walk out into the street without a care in the world. They're worse than squirrels!! I'm to the point now, that if there's no cops, the SECOND they're clear or there's room, I'll drop the hammer and accelerate as hard as possible, missing them by as little as possible. They get soooo pissed off. LOL Hey, just returning the favor! If they don't care about anyone else, why should we care about their sorry asses? If it's hitting them or getting rear ended and causing a multi car pile-up(and hitting them anyways), I'll hit them. Sure, the law will rape me, even if they are jaywalking(when do they NOT do that?!), but at least my vehicle will take less damage. :D

novaks47

Yeah!
Reaction score
Visit site
I live on a dead end street, and some of the parents seem to think the street is a play ground and don't even try to get the kids out of the way. Others are VERY conscientious about it. (Those are the ones I like best!) :thumbup:

Oh wow, one of my friends lived on a street like that. I drove down to his house one afternoon, and was taking it easy, going the speed limit. I parked, and one of the fat-ass moms comes over, and lectures me! She said I needed to take it easy, as there's kids around(because of course I'm going to not see them in the middle of the damn street), and they "like to stand in the street and talk", as she giggles. WTF?!! Here's and idea, GTFO of the street!! Get your moron kids out of the street too!

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If someone is trying to force me to stop when I don't need to or even shouldn't stop, I just keep rolling. They get the idea and move out of the way even if they get very close to the car/bike. If someone is jay-walking I will buzz them and make them aware they would be on the losing end of an impact without actually hitting them.

In anything but those situations I make it a point to give pedestrians the right of way provided it doesn't screw with traffic.

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i call it "bounding for glory".. you know.. when there is absolutly no thought process, and just bounding for the other side of the street.. i used to do alot of work at University of Connecitcut... i would "almost" hit 4 or 5 people a day.. makes me wonder what the hell cross walks are really for.. but hten again, you'll get a ticket for "almost hitting someone", but you'll never see a jay walking ticket for idiots who can't learn to use the cross walk..

jerdman89

wait... what goes here?
Reaction score
Visit site
I live in a college town too and avoiding students is a daily occurrence. There is a crosswalk every half block and they still just walkout from between cars. It's part of the reason I bought my stebel. I had a kid walk out from behind an SUV one day with his headphones in, I stopped a foot from his shins just to prove a point, he jumped.

Geoff

The Tall Guy!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
These days, you have to think for yourself, and the morons that are around you. But than it makes me wonder, what are the morons thinking about?

S

Shamus McFeeley

Use your Horn!

The horn is too tame a response. Better to eliminate the threat entirely, just like Mr. Norris does when an errant pedestrian gets in his way:

RAdeltaForce4.jpg

08fz6

Make no excuses!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
college students are the worse. I was driving out here in northern cali wed. the sun is in my eyes and this girl appears out of no where and I almost hit here she yells in the cross walk. I yell I couldnt see ya..... Think you could move a little quicker next time....:spank: In ny where I come from you have to stop at the beginning of the cross walk make eye contact then walk. you cant just walk down the side walk and turn and walk out.............

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Oh wow, one of my friends lived on a street like that. I drove down to his house one afternoon, and was taking it easy, going the speed limit. I parked, and one of the fat-ass moms comes over, and lectures me! She said I needed to take it easy, as there's kids around(because of course I'm going to not see them in the middle of the damn street), and they "like to stand in the street and talk", as she giggles. WTF?!! Here's and idea, GTFO of the street!! Get your moron kids out of the street too!

C'mon Man! Don't be Hatin!!! :rof:

JayJay

Reaction score
www.maverickrenegades.com
I too live in a court/cul-de-sac and mine has a 90degree bend in it.

We had some neighbours until recently with kids riding their scooters etc down their driveway and into the street (downhill).

Not too much of an issue, unless of-course said driveway has a hedge on one side so you cant see a kid riding a Tricycle less than a foot off the ground doing 30km/ph with no brakes.

Got the whole "slow down you F*(kin idiot don't hit the kids!" To which I replied adequately with finger in air. Seriously I was going about 15km/ph as I could see kids playing in the front yard. Did not expect to be almost T-bones by a tricycle nor cop any abuse for it.

Now they are gone but I have a crazy lady 4 doors down that drives like a complete maniac literally doing 60km/ph everywhere in her big sedan. Again not too much of a problem but that 90 degree bend gets dodgy when she is consuming the majority of the road. Have almost become a hood ornament on that bend several times as cars end up on the wrong side of the road due to laziness.