Akrapovic, K&N, PCIII = ??

NLFZ6

Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi,

So now I've got the slip on exhaust, air filter and Power Commander ready to be installed. But on Dynojet's web site, no map for the above combination except for a European spec bike. I have no access to a dyno/tuning shop and Dynojet Tech Support rep said to use the non-European Scorpion or Leo Vince maps. Anyone experimented with these setups and what have your results been? I'm not sure if I'm out of my league trying this on my own.

Greatly appreciative of any advice!

I'd try installing the (North American) Scorpion exhaust with Aftermarket Airfilter MAP (it's the 3rd or 4th MAP on the list) and see how it runs....I can't imagine that your bike would run a lot different with Akrapovic's than mine does with Scorpions + K&N filter w/PCIII.
You'll be enriching the mixture, so there's not as much danger to the engine as leaning it out would be.

That was my thinking too but I'm new at this 4 stroke FI thing. Thanks for your advice!

I have your same combination on my bike, sans the K&N. I used the Euro map and it seems to be fine. I'm on day two with this step up.

Remember there are two maps one with db killer, one with out. I'd use the Akro map not the others at our exhaust has that hour glass cone between the cat and the exhaust pipe.

One thing you can do is compare the maps between systems and see what kind of difference there is. I haven't had a chance to look and compare yet.

Last edited:
I have your same combination on my bike, sans the K&N. I used the Euro map and it seems to be fine. I'm on day two with this step up.

Remember there are two maps one with db killer, one with out. I'd use the Akro map not the others at our exhaust has that hour glass cone between the cat and the exhaust pipe.

One think you can do is compare the maps between systems and see what kind of difference there is. I haven't had a chance to look and compare yet.

Hi Pete,

I haven't even installed the software yet! What differences would be signifcant to contrast between the maps? Are you running dB killers in or out?
If I can get away with it, I'd like to leave them out especially if the bike sounds like your u-tube clip!

Thanks again,
Andrew

Hi Pete,

I haven't even installed the software yet! What differences would be signifcant to contrast between the maps? Are you running dB killers in or out?
If I can get away with it, I'd like to leave them out especially if the bike sounds like your u-tube clip!

Thanks again,
Andrew

I am running them in, to keep the neighbors happy! :thumbdown:

I suspect that if you run them out you'll have more power, I've had mine out and the butt dyno says the mid-range is fatter, if it really is or not I'm not sure, but DAMN does it sound GREAT! A thousand times better than the U-Tube Clip. :sinister:

When I get some time I'd like to compare the maps, but to tell you the truth I have no idea what I'm looking at.

Are you using the hour glass cone too?

When I do my dyno tune I want to do a run with not DB Killers and no cone and see what it does. Should be fun!

Last edited:
I am running them in, to keep the neighbors happy! :thumbdown:

I suspect that if you run them out you'll have more power, I've had mine and I the butt dyno says the mid-range is fatter, if it really is or not I'm not sure, but DAMN does it sound GREAT! A thousand times better than the U-Tube Clip. :sinister:

When I get some time I'd like to compare the maps, but to tell you the truth I have no idea what I'm looking at.

Are you using the hour glass cone too?

When I do my dyno tune I want to do a run with not DB Killers and no cone and see what it does. Should be fun!

I just looked at the maps through the PC Control Center software and compared the Euro/Akra with dB in versus the Scorpion map and to my basic understanding it seems that the Euro settings are very lean ie. less fuel% over pretty much all of the throttle settings and RPM readings. I don't know how significant the differences are though.

I'm going to put the cone in but on another thread today I saw that many are leaving it out:don'tknow:.

Hi. I guess the thread you mentioned was started by me. I removed the cone (again) today by recomendation of the Yamaha center and Akrapovic importer. There is a difference running with and without it. Smoother without and more like original running with the cone installed. I'll try this for a while.

i'v got a custom map for akro and k&n, but it was set up in uk on a damp day,
i'm sure i could attach it in an email, failing that ust try them all and FEEL which ones best.

Last edited by a moderator:
i'v got a custom map for akro and k&n, but it was set up in uk on a damp day,
i'm sure i could attach it in an email, failing that ust try them all and FEEL which ones best.

Oooo! That would be cool. Check your PM. Thank you!

give me a shout when you've tried the map, tell me what you think.
i should be getting it dynoed again soon but this time with the air box mod and cat removed.

give me a shout when you've tried the map, tell me what you think.
i should be getting it dynoed again soon but this time with the air box mod and cat removed.

I compared the maps today and your map is much richer than the Dyno Jet map, by a long shot. I was surprised.

I'm wondering if the 07 and up map is much different from the 04 to 06 map once the bike is tuned.

I'm hoping the week of the 4th of July I'll get the FZ into the tuning center. It will be interesting to see how the various dyno runs turn out.

Back