Airbox have a sound ?

georgerdp

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi guys , after I changed the air filter my bike has a sound like
sucking whistle and is very annoying .
And I do not have any girls around when this is happening .
Do you have the same sound as well ?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Double check that your filter is seated properly. Check throttle body connections etc. Check hoses!

Mac fz6n

Reaction score
Visit site
Double check that your filter is seated properly. Check throttle body connections etc. Check hoses!

+1, was about to say the same thing.

If you do the airbox mod + aftermarket filter you get a nice induction roar :thumbup:

Double check everything you did.

Good luck.
Mac.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I just replaced my air filter for the first time (about a month ago) and it does fit tight. I put just a little layer of Yamaha's marine grade grease on the outside rubber edge to help it slide into place. The top was still tight going on.

I'd pull the cover off and make sure it didn't get folded over in a corner. That's about the ONLY way you'll get a different sound coming from that area...

We're assuming its together (likely will only go in one way), facing the correct direction.

Did you do any other work while under there?

BTW, I couldn't hear it on the audio..

Please post what you find..

Slightly off topic, but the frame sliders, very intersting design, spreading the load to the arm vs just the engine mount.. What brand/make are they?

Last edited:

Beerdrinker

2^57885161-1
Reaction score
Visit site
it´s the sharp sound, acute sound (I don't know the term in English) we hear clearly at 00:38 in the video? Mine always did that and all the maintenance it's at the Yamaha dealer, I thought it was a normal sound from the Fuel pump or something...

georgerdp

Reaction score
Visit site
it´s the sharp sound, acute sound (I don't know the term in English) we hear clearly at 00:38 in the video? Mine always did that and all the maintenance it's at the Yamaha dealer, I thought it was a normal sound from the Fuel pump or something...

today , after work I took tank up and switched engine on . The sound is from air flow and is normal .The air box was closed properly . ...the sound still annoying . But I did not had it before to change that old and dirty air filter . This is why I did panic and I have done the new thread on the forum .

Off topic : The previous owner , he done only oil change yearly and nothing else to the bike I reckon , so because I had time I changed the spark plugs with iridium ones . Have a look to the old spark plugs :spank:.

So as an advice , does not matter how good looking is a bike you buy .
DO FULL SERVICE AFTER YOU BUY IT .

When I changed the spark plugs , 3 of 4 have came out by hand power only with that hexagon wrench from tool box , I did not have to apply any torque at all..... So after work done my bike run as new and no bloody vibrations any more at all . Here is my lovely one .

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Looking at your air filter picture, the pleats should be pretty straight. It kinda looks like the bottom (the box itself), the filter DIDN'T FIT IN fully and kinked the filter pleats.

I seated mine in the lower box first, then the top. And it was a very tight fit, both the top and box.

IMO, if your hearing a different noise now, with just the filter change, I would be pulling that filter, install it in the box FIRST, then install the top cover.

Again, a little bit of oil/grease on the outer seal to help reduce the friction.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Looking at your air filter picture, the pleats should be pretty straight. It kinda looks like the bottom (the box itself), the filter DIDN'T FIT IN fully and kinked the filter pleats.

I seated mine in the lower box first, then the top. And it was a very tight fit, both the top and box.

IMO, if your hearing a different noise now, with just the filter change, I would be pulling that filter, install it in the box FIRST, then install the top cover.

Again, a little bit of oil/grease on the outer seal to help reduce the friction.

I was going to say the same thing. The pleats look wrong. The rubber on the filter frame also looks a little distorted in the picture.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
But didn't he say it makes the same sound filter or no filter?

At idle, there is very little air volume moving. (it flows into those two tubes at the rear of the air box you know.... Certainly not enough to hear IMO.
I expected a video with it being RIPPED ON, and some whistle sound then!

Are you certain its not just the fuel pump? Any chance the tank is rusty and lifting it set some rust into circulation???? Thus changing its sound??

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi guys , after I changed the air filter my bike has a sound like
sucking whistle and is very annoying .
And I do not have any girls around when this is happening .
Do you have the same sound as well ?

Also and FWIW, the priming sound heard BEFORE the engine is running, is present while the engine is running. Is that the sound you're talking about?

If so, that is Normal to ALL of these bikes!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The folded pleats, ALONE, IMO, if it was my bike, the filter would be OFF AGAIN and checked... It shows me, in black and white, part of that filter wasn't seated in the slot (or the OP bent the snot out of it)...

You may have already changed your AF, I just did mine a couple of weeks ago for the first time. It is, by far, the tightest fitting air filter I've ever come across, ever. And yes, its OEM...

With the bending towards the bottom of the pleats indicates the lower end of the filter wasn't in the box fully. When I did mine, I put the box end in first (with the grease it was still tight), then the top and even that was still very snug.

The video was taken with the tank back down, in the normal position, what the Op is used to hearing.

Most, especially mechainically inclinded riders, WILL notice a change in sound of their bike should something change. That's what was posted up above.

For a half hour of time, to raise the tank and re-check the air filter, even to rule it out, IMO, is 30 minutes well spent..

Now, spark plugs were changed too. I have to assume they went in normally from the side. Perhaps something (don't know of any vacuum lines, etc) that would get in the way, but would double check that after inspecting the air filter.

Last edited:

georgerdp

Reaction score
Visit site
Also and FWIW, the priming sound heard BEFORE the engine is running, is present while the engine is running. Is that the sound you're talking about?

If so, that is Normal to ALL of these bikes!

No , is not that fuel pump , and I put my ear to the air box and definitely the sound coming from there , so 100 % is the air flow .

When I did install the air filter first I have set it first in the air box and after I put the top and I have done diferent now just to see the diference .

I will get another air filter in next few days as is not that expensive , just to see what is going on .

The filter is bought from Norwich Norfolk UK Yamaha Dealer so is not a fake product .

The box was perfect clean when I did open today

TownsendsFJR1300 can you please upload a video with your bike at idle just to see the difference . Cheers

Same sound here , https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IlKqT9sCkY , same sound https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8MQq7FyNcA ..... is just the air flow in take I reckon ,
Same sound here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyHEsCLbfNk . that whistle in the last video when he is with clutch on or at idle , you will hear , that sound is what I am talking about .

And Here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_yPOxFdvpM that whistle sound after he rev the engine .
If you listen in the last two videos you will undestant what I am talking about . FinalImpact

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
No , is not that fuel pump , and I put my ear to the air box and definitely the sound coming from there , so 100 % is the air flow .

When I did install the air filter first I have set it first in the air box and after I put the top and I have done diferent now just to see the diference .

I will get another air filter in next few days as is not that expensive , just to see what is going on .

The filter is bought from Norwich Norfolk UK Yamaha Dealer so is not a fake product .

The box was perfect clean when I did open today

TownsendsFJR1300 can you please upload a video with your bike at idle just to see the difference . Cheers

I have no way of recording a video (too cheap for a smart phone) and it'd be hard to hear with my open Scorps...

I really don't think you need a new air filter. I would just straighten and re-install what you have. I would however, install it in the BOX first. You'll be able to visably see if the lower edge is fully seated. The top should go on with some back and forth fudging (if you would) as its also tight there too...

As posted previously, put either a little oil (I used a very thin layer of grease) on the outer rubber edge of the filter and mine was STILL very tight going together. It would NOT be difficult to get that filter bound up...

I'm assuming you DID NOT pull the entire air box (as there are lots of hoses) as it isn't needed.

Besides the noise, is the bike running any different to speak of, better/worse, etc (trying to see if there's a new vacuum leak making the noise)

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
How about this sound clip from RIGHT at the beginning - this whine? This is mine and that's gear noise.... Completely normal.
Actually you can hear it most of the time in low speed/low RPMs till mid RPM where exhaust and wind take over.

Listen at 0:59 - 1:10 real loud like. That sound?
https://soundcloud.com/fz6-rippedmp3/fz62broxp1tipsrip
PLAY button is top left, next to clip title "FZ62BroXP1TipsRip"

0:03 - 0:11 seconds same same. Gear sound picks up with speed.
3:21 - 3:30 holding near steady RPM and its present in the back ground. Its the gears under load.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
How about this sound clip from RIGHT at the beginning - this whine? This is mine and that's gear noise.... Completely normal.
Actually you can hear it most of the time in low speed/low RPMs till mid RPM where exhaust and wind take over.

Listen at 0:59 - 1:10 real loud like. That sound?
https://soundcloud.com/fz6-rippedmp3/fz62broxp1tipsrip
PLAY button is top left, next to clip title "FZ62BroXP1TipsRip"

0:03 - 0:11 seconds same same. Gear sound picks up with speed.
3:21 - 3:30 holding near steady RPM and its present in the back ground. Its the gears under load.

I couldn't get the clock to show on the link but watching my clock, yes, that whine is normal gear whine (I have the same)..

The FJR, especially with the quiet pipes and larger gears had/has a much more pronounced gear whine when under load.. (it was loud enough, on the FJR forums, referred to as a supercharger it was that pronounced)

From the Ops first post, the new noise is not underway (may be too) but at idle. From my understanding, it wasn't there before at idle, but since the new air filter.

If the filter wasn't in fully (just a small opening from not being seated fully) and the opening was small enough and just right, I suppose it could whistle.

georgedp, did you change the spark plugs at the EXACT same time as the filter?? or afterwards?

I'm trying to narrow down the new noise as being right after a specific procedure if possible. IE, on each side of the frame, inside the frame, with the tank up, is 4 smaller rubber hoses, two with pink stripes. These are for checking adjusting the throttle sync and are plugged with a plastic nipple. I've done many sync's but don't know how noisy that would be with the plastic plug out (should it have fallen out(not likely).

**While you have the tank up, re-checking the air filter and moving forward, crank up the bike with the tank still propped up(won't hurt anything).

You should be able to listen for and narrow down the whistle if its that pronounced. It should be MUCH easier with the tank up as its not muffling or echoing the noise..

Last edited:

CNY Fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
I agree with Scott. These filter are tough to seat, they go in tight. Get the bottom all the way in first, also I don't remember but there may be a top and bottom to the filter. If you still have the old filter put it back in to see if the sound is still there. :welcome:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I agree with Scott. These filter are tough to seat, they go in tight. Get the bottom all the way in first, also I don't remember but there may be a top and bottom to the filter. If you still have the old filter put it back in to see if the sound is still there. :welcome:

Looking at the parts fisch:

Yamaha Motorcycle Parts 2005 FZ6 - FZ6ST INTAKE 1 Diagram

And his original pic', the filter only goes in one way, the flat on the bottom, roundish edge up top..

Last edited:

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Clock is on the left embedded in the frequency graph. Granted, idle = no load = not the noise we're looking for.

georgerdp

Reaction score
Visit site
I couldn't get the clock to show on the link but watching my clock, yes, that whine is normal gear whine (I have the same)..

The FJR, especially with the quiet pipes and larger gears had/has a much more pronounced gear whine when under load.. (it was loud enough, on the FJR forums, referred to as a supercharger it was that pronounced)

From the Ops first post, the new noise is not underway (may be too) but at idle. From my understanding, it wasn't there before at idle, but since the new air filter.

If the filter wasn't in fully (just a small opening from not being seated fully) and the opening was small enough and just right, I suppose it could whistle.

georgedp, did you change the spark plugs at the EXACT same time as the filter?? or afterwards?

I'm trying to narrow down the new noise as being right after a specific procedure if possible. IE, on each side of the frame, inside the frame, with the tank up, is 4 smaller rubber hoses, two with pink stripes. These are for checking adjusting the throttle sync and are plugged with a plastic nipple. I've done many sync's but don't know how noisy that would be with the plastic plug out (should it have fallen out(not likely).

**While you have the tank up, re-checking the air filter and moving forward, crank up the bike with the tank still propped up(won't hurt anything).

You should be able to listen for and narrow down the whistle if its that pronounced. It should be MUCH easier with the tank up as its not muffling or echoing the noise..

I did change the spark plugs today. (Huge diference with new plugs )
The sound did start 5 weeks ago when I have changed Air Filter.
When I had tank up(today) I did folow the sound and is the air flow to air box , this has been checked after I did repositioned the Air Filter .(Today)

The bike runs great . I can not ask for more . I was curious just about that sound like a whistle , which I saw on other fz6 bikes as well and now I do understant is the normal air flow sound.

Last edited: