air filter

H

HavBlue

Does that more expensive air filter give your bike any better performance? Thanks Dave

K&N works for me and the butt dyno says yeah above 7,000rpm. It made even more difference on my 1200 Sporty. In that case anything above 3,000rpm on the way up to the redline of 6,200 was a huge difference.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm thinking about replacing my air filter early since there is a lot of sand and dust here in Vegas. Is this K&N filter available at any motorcycle shop, and what size is the filter and how much should it cost? I really haven't looked anything up as far as air filters, and this post just conveniently appeared.

H

HavBlue

I'm thinking about replacing my air filter early since there is a lot of sand and dust here in Vegas. Is this K&N filter available at any motorcycle shop, and what size is the filter and how much should it cost? I really haven't looked anything up as far as air filters, and this post just conveniently appeared.

Here ya go Vegas.

K&N car, truck, SUV, motorcycle, atv, personal watercraft, etc. filter application search

The air filter should be a YA-6004. I use the KN303C oil filter too.

I paid like $58 for the lifetime or 1,000,000 mile filter. The one for the Sporty was like $65. These things were designed for desert bikes way back when....

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
K&N is the way to go, if only for the fact that it is a cleanable filter. You can take it out and clean it once a month if you are really concerned about the sand/dust in Vegas and never have to buy another one again. Pick up a K&N Cleaning kit at the same time and clean it when you change your oil.

GAH

Reaction score
Visit site
I use a K&N on my FZ6 and I've used them for years on my past cars and on my current (99' Dodge Dakota 4X4 and 06' Dodge Charger R/T) cars. They have always given me a noticeable performance boost and a bit better mileage.

rickyrats

RICKYRATS
Reaction score
Visit site

Hey just to let you know I was researching this just tonight. The cheapest I found is a K&N and only Auto Zone it's for like 40 something......all the others are 60 something!!!!!!!

rickyrats

RICKYRATS
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey I was actually researching this just tonight!!! The cheapest one is at Auto Zone....it's a K&N filter and it's only 40 something, all the other K& N filters are 60 something anywhere else.....so get to Auto Zone!!!!!

A

Aggietaco

Only thing with the K&N's is to make sure you oil them and clean them per the instructions. If not, you might as well have nothing in there.

And I remember seeing an article or two before comparing a K&N to a typical paper filter and the results weren't quite as expected. I'll have to see if I can dig it up.

A

Aggietaco

Only thing with the K&N's is to make sure you oil them and clean them per the instructions. If not, you might as well have nothing in there.

And I remember seeing an article or two before comparing a K&N to a typical paper filter and the results weren't quite as expected. I'll have to see if I can dig it up.

This is one I was thinking about:

Air Filtration Test

Really sums up more about the filtration abilitiy, but also uses a pressure differntial test to determine air flow. Interesting read if you've got a while.

Doorag

Reaction score
www.4dbrown.com
This is one I was thinking about:

Air Filtration Test

Really sums up more about the filtration abilitiy, but also uses a pressure differntial test to determine air flow. Interesting read if you've got a while.

Thanks for the link. It's pretty interesting reading. I have to say I'm not surprised though. I have to clean the air filter on my offroad bike after every race so I would expect to need to clean any high-performance filter more often than a stock filter.