air filter

fz6man

Reaction score
Visit site
i just got the air filter for my 06 fz6 and wanted to know how do i install it ppl say it is a real pain to do will it be worth it

S

Shamus McFeeley

It takes a couple of steps:

1. Remove seat

2. Remove 2 allen bolts that secure front of tank

3. Remove 10mm bolt on rear of tank that allows it to pivot
(this step removes the need to take off the fairings)

4. Pull tank back and out. Be careful not to damage any of the fuel pump connectors

5. Reinstall (but don't tighten) 10mm bolt. At this point your tank should be pivoted up so that you can see the air filter box. Use something like a bungie cord to keep your tank up and you can access the filter with no problem

6. Remove airbox screws, remove airbox cover and change filter.

Not an all inclusive list, but that is the gist of it. It's a lot easier that it sounds. Removing the tank isn't hard, you just need to take your time.

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
Warning:
The airbox screws are self-tapping. They are screwed in at the factory and will make their own threads.

If you remove them and put them back in, it's possible for them to cut a second set of threads, which then leaves both sets weakened.

Install the screws by first turning backwards. Put a little bit of pressure on them, and turn counterclockwise. Somewhere in the rotation, you'll feel the screw drop as it falls into the threads that already exist. Once it does that, you can safely screw it in knowing that you won't be cutting a second set of threads into the plastic.

(^^^This is from some notes I saved. I got it directly someone on this forum.)

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
Warning:
The airbox screws are self-tapping. They are screwed in at the factory and will make their own threads.

If you remove them and put them back in, it's possible for them to cut a second set of threads, which then leaves both sets weakened.

Install the screws by first turning backwards. Put a little bit of pressure on them, and turn counterclockwise. Somewhere in the rotation, you'll feel the screw drop as it falls into the threads that already exist. Once it does that, you can safely screw it in knowing that you won't be cutting a second set of threads into the plastic.

(^^^This is from some notes I saved. I got it directly someone on this forum.)

THIS IS VERY GOOD ADVICE! This was $110.00 lesson I learned from watching the Sears Man repair my water softener!