AFTERMARKET SUSPENSION - Need Help!

michigan_maniac

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Guys,

I've been away for a while, I thought I was going to sell the bike, now decided to keep, but..... desperatley needs some upgrades!

So, I have a 2007 FZ6 and definately need to upgrade the suspension!

1) Has anyone swapped out the rear shock with a Full adjustable shock from a higher end sportbike?
2) If so, what fits the best, and was it necessary to also swap the dog-bone linkage?
3) Who makes replaceable springs/ internals for the Front forks? (I do Not want to swap out the front end!)

I weigh about 240 lb with gear, aggressive rider, and plan on riding two-up mostly, rider is about 125lb.

Thanks Guys for any help!

skooter65

Mainah'
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Guys,

I've been away for a while, I thought I was going to sell the bike, now decided to keep, but..... desperatley needs some upgrades!

1) Has anyone swapped out the rear shock with a Full adjustable shock from a higher end sportbike?
2) If so, what fits the best, and was it necessary to also swap the dog-bone linkage?
3) Who makes replaceable springs/ internals for the Front forks? (I do Not want to swap out the front end!)

I weigh about 240 lb with gear, aggressive rider, and plan on riding two-up mostly, rider is about 125lb.

Story sounds so familiar!!!

Here is my take on answers for you:

1 & 2): I don't think that there is any simple swap from another bike. Some have tried installing R6 and R1 shocks without the associated linkage but, the geometry differences between the bikes make the shock far too soft for the FZ. To include the linkage is a big undertaking in itself (modifications required to the frame, swing-arm, and rear engine mount to start). As big of a hit to the wallet as it is; I would recommend an aftermarket set-up such as Ohlins, Penske, Racetech, or Works Performance. Prices can range from $350 to well over $1000 depending on what you are looking for.

3): There are many options here. Racetech (Race Tech Suspension), Ohlins (The Original Gold - Öhlins), HyperPro (Hyperpro | Suspension Technology), etc... all offer variations of spring and shock valving to suit any type of riding that you can think of. There are also companies such as Traxxion Dynamics (Motorcycle Suspension by Traxxion Dynamics) which offer full fork cartridge swaps.

Options are nearly endless.

I had been on the fence regarding these changes for a long time. Ultimately i decided that a front fork swap was by far the cheapest option to gain full front suspension adjustability. They all have their pros-and-cons however.

My $0.02

youngy

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Guys,

There is no dog bone linkage. The shock is direct onto the swingarm - cheap and nasty - which is why it has such a hard spring.

Matris make a kit for the forks. All the big name suspension people offer springs - Racetech, Ohlins, Wilbers, WP, Hyperpro etc etc. They all offer rear shocks too. Hagon offer a cheap replacement shock.

mxgolf

Motoup
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've got the Ohlin rear shock and am in the process of installing the front Ohlin springs. I love the rear shock but won't know about the front until fall comes along. Go with OHLIN. Good stuff.

youngy

Reaction score
Visit site
hows the ohlins for touring though???

meaning what?

The Ohlins shocks have adjustable preload and rebound. More expensive models have compression and length adjustment. You can have them sprung for your weight. They are fully customisable to your spec and riding needs same as other high end aftermarket shocks.

Shinn

Reaction score
Visit site
I like you did not want to swap my front end. I went with Ricor Intiminators in the front, and they sure changed the feel a whole lot for the better. As for the rear, I am saving up for a nice ohlins.

michigan_maniac

Reaction score
Visit site
Apparently it sounds like everyone likes Ohlins, for the rear, and maybe the easiest for installation! (Thanks skooter65 ... very well detailed!)

Thank you everyone, so far, for the suggestions, I am definately pointed in the right direction.......

Has anyone done a rear shock Swap from another bike??? (my pockets aren't quite deep enough for the Ohlins)

youngy

Reaction score
Visit site
Hagon are about half the price of Ohlins. They will custom spring for a fee.

There are few bikes that have a spring as hard as the FZ6, so a swap from another machine is unlikely to work.

Keep a look out on Ebay etc for a used aftermarket shock.

spock

Reaction score
Visit site
After 45000kms of riding in a lot of different conditions and loads my suspension needs a rebuild

given that I ride in different ways:
- spirited weekend rides
- long touring rides with full lugagge and girlfriend passenger
- weekend rides with girlfriend passenger no luggage
- weekend rides with girlfriend passenger some luggage
- weekend rides with my father
- city rides
- city rides with passenger
- goad roads
- crappy roads

I will go with hyper pro progressive springs in both ends.

michigan_maniac

Reaction score
Visit site
Youngy, spock
Thanks guys for the help! I surely need to know where to look.

I know that the KTM Super Duke uses a a direct-mount-shock, but I was hoping to find a commodity shock off of another japanese bike.

So, it's really not possible to swap the rear....???

FZ6-ZN

Insert nonsense here
Reaction score
Visit site
If you have access to someone who can re-valve and re-gas an R6 shock, fitting a R6 shock to a FZ6 is easy.

You will need a 2003-2004 R6 or R6S rear shock, a 7.0 x 2.25 inch spring with a spring rate suited to your body weight and two spring adaptor collars, both available from Race Tech. I used an 7.0 x 2.25 Eibach spring with Race Tech collars.

A good R6 rear shocks cost as little as $25 on eBay, spring and collars around $100 from Race Tech.

The FZ6 upper shock mount bracket needs to be reshaped slightly to prevent the R6 shock gas canister from touching the subframe. The lower shock mount on the swingarm is a direct fit. There is a detailed thread on SBK detailing the reshaping of the shock mount bracket.

I reshaped my mine over two years ago, since I’ve travelled over 20 000 miles and there is no signs of premature failure.

The FZ6 uses a 12mm bolt to secure the upper shock mount to the subframe, the R6 uses a 10mm bolt. In order to eliminate the “rattle fit” that is mentioned in the SBK thread, I machined two 12mm to 10mm collars from stainless steel and there is no free-play in the shock I fitted.

As detailed in the SBK thread the rear hugger requires modification.

I’ve done the mod and I love it.

View attachment 33388

View attachment 33389

View attachment 33390

View attachment 33391

FZ6-ZN

michigan_maniac

Reaction score
Visit site
FZ6-ZN,

Thank you for the detailed & concise Mod directions! Very helpful!

2 questions:

1) Is that the stock 10mm bolt from the R6 shock assembly? Or separatley purchased? (if separately purchased, what length, hardness, etc.)

2) Can you please post the Link to the SBK forum-post where these instructions are further detailed?

Thank you very much!

FZ6-ZN

Insert nonsense here
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry, I've been in a part of Africa with no network coverage.

FZ6-ZN,

Thank you for the detailed & concise Mod directions! Very helpful!

2 questions:

1) Is that the stock 10mm bolt from the R6 shock assembly? Or separatley purchased? (if separately purchased, what length, hardness, etc.)

Used the stock 10mm bolt fron the R6 shock assembly.

2) Can you please post the Link to the SBK forum-post where these instructions are further detailed?

Sorry SBN

R6 Rear Shock Mod - Sportbikes.net

Thank you very much!