Aftermarket Cat with stock exhaust? debaffle? help

Waleedb24

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey i just bought a yamaha fz6 today, and it came with a stock exhaust, not a big of the sound, so i do plan on making changes, But i have a few questions before i do so.

So in order to save me some money i was hoping to find a video to just remove the baffle out of my exhaust but cannot seem to find a video about that sadly, if anyone can help that would be great.

Also instead of purchasing a full exhaust would just purchasing lets say a Scorpion cat with the stock exhaust change the sound to somewhat be louder?
Or should i just buy a slip-on exhaust?

Im new to this forum so do forgive me if i did something wrong.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to the forum!!

The stock muffler doesn't have any baffles that'll pull out.
Some folks have ran a big drill down the middle with slightly louder results.

Will a de-cat make it louder? If so, it won't be much.

IMO, an aftermarket system, like the Scorps are the way to go. No re-packing, limited lifetime warranty and sounds great...

SS Scorps on mine, no baffles
(Stock rear cat and mid pipe, slip on mufflers and Y pipe only
plenty loud enough especially after about 8k RPM's):

Last edited:

Waleedb24

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey thanks for the reply, I did notice people drilling holes, How would i go about doing that. Should i just get a drill with a long extensions and drill straight through each exhaust?

Waleedb24

Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to the forum!!

Hey thanks for the reply, I did notice people drilling holes, How would i go about doing that. Should i just get a drill with a long extensions and drill straight through each exhaust?

Chapin

Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to the forum!!

Im pretty sure if you look around this forum you will find a tutorial how to do it - but yes its basically getting a long drill and putting holes in the exhaust when you get down far enough. Just make sure you clean out all the metal shavings afterwards. However, IMHO, if you have the cash you should just get an aftermarket exhaust. It will sound 1,000000 times better than a drilled stock/stock PLUS it will add to the performance.
Also @TownsendFJR130 ; What kind of piping is that you have covering the wires around your Scorps? Is it heat resistant? I could use some of that.

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Im pretty sure if you look around this forum you will find a tutorial how to do it - but yes its basically getting a long drill and putting holes in the exhaust when you get down far enough. Just make sure you clean out all the metal shavings afterwards. However, IMHO, if you have the cash you should just get an aftermarket exhaust. It will sound 1,000000 times better than a drilled stock/stock PLUS it will add to the performance.
Also @TownsendFJR130 ; What kind of piping is that you have covering the wires around your Scorps? Is it heat resistant? I could use some of that.

Plus 100^^^ on replacing the pipes, BIG DIFFERENCE!!

Re the piping around the wires, its simple plastic split loom (probably 3/8's OD, I forgot ).

Its NOT heat resistant and would melt in a sec if it touched the muffler. I simply drilled
a couple of small holes in the muffler (flat, horizontal) bracket and plastic zip tied it to that.

There's plenty of space with also Hyperlite wires running thru there too. Its been that
way at least 7 years when I installed the mufflers...You can see an '12 tag on the bike..