Aftermarket Can leaking until warm - Problem?

DDS

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi there,

I passed my test a couple days ago and I can now ride my FZ6 that has been stuck in my garage for a couple weeks! :rockon:

It came with some Carbon Cans Co. cans and my question is that when I first turn it it on, I have the normal water vapour coming out the back until warm. But water also drips from where the muffler connects in the pipe. When its warm and the metal has expanded (only take about 5 mins) there are no drips and putting my hand around the connection I can't feel any blowing. Is this something I should be concerned about or can I go on riding with no problems? I'd estimate about a teaspoon full drips out and onto the frame.

I'm visiting the dealer tommorow and I'm wondering if its worth mentioning I understand that should I take it to an MOT station and they start it from cold, they could potentially fail it for a blowing exhaust? I don't really want to start taking this apart myself, although I realise it could only take a bit of exhaust putty to solve the problem.

Many thanks

DDS

Reaction score
Visit site
bump.

Another question is how long do I have to wait until I can post normally and not have to be "approved by a moderator"? :)

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The moisture shouldn't hurt anything however you can use a sealer designed for exhaust connections that will seal it up.

You will have to take the exhaust apart until you get to the connection. If you look on Babbits for a parts diagram, it may show a round, approx 1" deep seal that goes inbetween the two pipes... Might be worth replacing once your in that far... It should be cheap enough..

Can't asnswer to your second post.... :)

novaks47

Yeah!
Reaction score
Visit site
My Scorpions do this as well. Doesn't hurt anything, but it sure is annoying to get water all over the place. lol I'll just take it apart and use some sort of gasketing type stuff to seal it.

DDS

Reaction score
Visit site
Nice to see I'm not the only one with this problem.

I think I'll just see how I go on as I think I can live with it :)

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Nice to see I'm not the only one with this problem.

I think I'll just see how I go on as I think I can live with it :)

Exhaust leaks can also introduce air O2 into a hot exhaust and you'll get a little more decell pop. There are a lot of RTV silicones on the market that make it easy to solve those type of leaks.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I find it strange, I live in SW Florida, HIGH HUMIDITY, and mine doesn't leak any water from the exhaust...

Perhaps my seal is a little tighter and any moisture is blown out the pipe...