adventure tire on their FZ6

letsgoride

Reaction score
Visit site
Has anyone ever installed an adventure tire on their FZ6.Two names come to mind,Heidenau - K60 Scout and Shinko 705 Series Dual-Sport .I have ridden some dirt and gravel roads on street tires but I would be more at ease with a 75% road and 25% dirt tire.I have not checked the tire sizes available but any feed back would be appreciated.

Last edited:

nivag

Reaction score
Visit site
I think you'll struggle to find a exact match of tyres to fit a 17" rim

You could try a K73 on the front, it's a supermoto tyre and looks like a full wet.

The rear i can't find a exact match for a 180/55 after a quick search for a aggressive tread pattern.

You could try the Pirelli Scorpion, not as off-road looking and more road biased.

SCORPION TRAIL , Motorcycle Tyres - PIRELLI UK

The_Paragon

Thats right, Paragon!
Reaction score
Visit site
You can get a michelin Anakee in a 170 wide tire,
or an avon AM44 in a 160 wide tire.

I think a 170 would probably work, a 160 might be pushing it a bit to narrow for the width of the rim.

banjoboy

Reaction score
Visit site
The primary reason I dun got the FZ6 iz fer dirt roads 'n such. I ran Pirelli Scorpions, and luv'ed 'em, butt they're kinda pricey and barely lasted 4K mi. I went back to ST tires; PRIIs right now, butt I'll be switching to Bridgestone T30s when these are shagged.
If'n ya want real off road tires Continental TKC80s are the way to go :rockon:

banjoboy

Reaction score
Visit site
Buy a dirt or adventure bike for this. Not a street bike -.-
I dun thought the FZ6 iz an adv bike! Blah

JordanHill_2_zpsc514bb21.jpg

A few weeks back, I wuz on a dirt road somewhere in the Mendocino National Forest, and came around a turn, 'n there wuz a Bring Mor Wallet GS come'in the other way w/ a couple onboard. He had his Scubereth modular helmet up, (Prolly cuz it wuz hot?) and a look of total terror in his face. :eek:
Not only did he pay way too much fer his "adv" bike, (Hell, I'd bet their Klim gear 'n helmets cost mor than my used FZ6?) butt since he did, now he ain't have'n no fun! :rof:
The adventure iz in the rider, not the bike! :cheer:

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I dun thought the FZ6 iz an adv bike! Blah

JordanHill_2_zpsc514bb21.jpg

A few weeks back, I wuz on a dirt road somewhere in the Mendocino National Forest, and came around a turn, 'n there wuz a Bring Mor Wallet GS come'in the other way w/ a couple onboard. He had his Scubereth modular helmet up, (Prolly cuz it wuz hot?) and a look of total terror in his face. :eek:
Not only did he pay way too much fer his "adv" bike, (Hell, I'd bet their Klim gear 'n helmets cost mor than my used FZ6?) butt since he did, now he ain't have'n no fun! :rof:
The adventure iz in the rider, not the bike! :cheer:

If you're idea of fun is going slow on a street bike on a rutted dirt road, great. But on a big bore dual sport your could absolutely thrash that road. Going to far off places for a campsite or just for adventure is one thing, but claiming that the bike is at all capable or that riding an FZ6 offroad is even remotely as much fun as riding a dual sport off road just does not make sense to me.

My last bike trip on the FZ6 included about 30 miles of dirt...but it was graded and flat and I was able to do about 55/65 mph iwth luggage.

nivag

Reaction score
Visit site
Get a KTM 990 adv - you'll have a lot more fun on graded roads and it'll also embarrass a lot of street bikes too! :D

jeadra

Reaction score
Visit site
No kidding. The few times I've taken my FZ6 on graded gravel have NOT been fun at all. The engine/trans/tire combo is simply not the best setup for offroad, no matter what tires you spoon on those wheels.
My little TW, or really ANY other dirt bike or adventure bike is way better suited for fire roads and farm roads. I can't think of any manufacturer that has used an inline-four sportbike engine setup for any off-road/dualsport application.

Not to mention, the FZ6 suspension would REALLY need an upgrade to make it remotely enjoyable.
Granted, I'm sure we've all seen that article on the Ducati Panigale offroad setup....
Ducati Panigale 1199 Offroad Version!: xBhp News
But that's a dealer's "what if?" experiment...Even Triumph Tigers are a bit much to take into true offroad territory.
*shrug*
However....if you were to make a true offroad bike out of the FZ6, I'd like to see some video. :) Personally, I'd find myself dreading the inevitable muddy section of road while running that type of engine.

banjoboy

Reaction score
Visit site
If you're idea of fun is going slow on a street bike on a rutted dirt road, great. But on a big bore dual sport your could absolutely thrash that road. Going to far off places for a campsite or just for adventure is one thing, but claiming that the bike is at all capable or that riding an FZ6 offroad is even remotely as much fun as riding a dual sport off road just does not make sense to me.

My last bike trip on the FZ6 included about 30 miles of dirt...but it was graded and flat and I was able to do about 55/65 mph iwth luggage.
Guess it depends on wut yer definition of "fun" iz? :spank: Actually, this particular ride wuzn't fun at all; it wuz down right scary! Butt fer me, the FZ6 is fun on gravel roads, 'n be'in able to slide 'round on gravel roads helps yer street ride'in. :cheer:
My main ride is an FJR, butt it really sucks in the dirt! On my short list to compliment it was a DR650, Versys, and FZ6.
The DR woulda been much better in the dirt, butt ride'in 250 mi. on pavement to get there would suck. The Versys' in my area were going for $5K and I picked up this here FZ6 (W/ 5,500 mi.) for $3.5 K
I wouldn't own anything frum Europe, 'n Yamaha have alwayz been very reliable for me. :rockon:

Fireman71

Reaction score
Visit site
I've done a fair bit of camping with my set up and run Avon TrailRider AV54's for gravel and dirt/tarmac. Custom welded a luggage system up and used rubber sealed Ammo Cans .20180806_105407.jpg