Adjusting Chain, swingarm end cap is loose?

AlexL

Shiny Side Up
Reaction score
Visit site
So I am adjusting my chain, for the first time, and I have it where I want it but the right side swingarm endcap has come loose and if I tighten the adjusting nut so that it's not loose the adjustment is off. I have included a video to show what I'm talking about. I can push on the rear tire to tension the endcap but then when I go to tighten the axle nut the endcap comes loose again.

Clarification in the video, I say the axle nut is tight, it is not, it has not been tightened yet. Also, what I ended up doing temporarily is tightening the left side adjuster, tightening the right side adjuster, tightening the axle nut, then loosening the right side adjuster and snugging it up to keep the endcap tight. The only problem with that is now the adjuster marks are off, which is bad.

So my question is, how do I keep tension on that endcap so it stays tight while I'm tightening the axle nut??

Thanks!

red06

Reaction score
Visit site
i need a solution aswell , the right side end cap and bolts have fallen off somewhere

Sawblade

Hopped up on Mountain Dew
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I always set the adjusters to get the chain tension I want, then I wedge a wadded up rag between the sprocket and chain to pull it super tight. For the alignment, I use a caliper to match the length of the threads on the bolts. Then I tighten the axle nut and lock nuts on the adjusters.

Wh0M3

Reaction score
Visit site
I watched a mechanic work on my bike yesterday. He was swapping out the front tire and said he'd adjust my chain too because it looked loose.

I watched him and asked a couple questions so I would know what I was doing in the future when I go to adjust it.

I noticed when he went to tighten the right side cap it was a bit loose so he wiggled the tire. The axle nut wasn't tightened yet, and this seemed to take up the slack in the cap. He looked at the marks to judged the alignment then used a tape measure from the mid point of the pivot point of the swing arm back to the mid point of the axle. He also left about 20mm of slack in the chain, so it wasn't supper tight.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I watched a mechanic work on my bike yesterday. He was swapping out the front tire and said he'd adjust my chain too because it looked loose.

I watched him and asked a couple questions so I would know what I was doing in the future when I go to adjust it.

I noticed when he went to tighten the right side cap it was a bit loose so he wiggled the tire. The axle nut wasn't tightened yet, and this seemed to take up the slack in the cap. He looked at the marks to judged the alignment then used a tape measure from the mid point of the pivot point of the swing arm back to the mid point of the axle. He also left about 20mm of slack in the chain, so it wasn't supper tight.

Proper range of slack is 1.77 to 2.14 inch or around 1-3/4 to 2-3/16 inch.

With your weight on the bike and the swing arm compressing the slack changes. Minimum slack should be 45mm. :D

See attached....

Last edited:

Brandad

Reaction score
Visit site
I also go to the trouble of doing my alignment with the string method, and have never been able to get the right cap very tight (without losing alignment). And just discovered my cap fell off sometime last week! When the new one gets here, I'll try the rag in the chain/sprocket method, but darned if I can visualize how that works right.

markersniffen

Reaction score
www.marksniffen.com

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I would think keeping the axle somewhat snug, then adjusting the adjuster nuts evenly, pulling the axle back, should keep the end plates taught.

Once lined up evenly on both sides, finish tightening the axle fully, then the lock nuts...