adjust throttle cable?

nextfriday

Reaction score
Visit site
As I get some miles into this bike i'm beginning to notice some slop in what i think is the throttle. After shifting into a low gear, when i close and open the throttle it takes more of a twist of the wrist to engage the gear than i believe it did when the bike had less miles on it. I'm sure you've experienced what i call "bucking" on bikes at slow speeds, say cruising along in a parking lot. It seems i cant taper that throttle like i used to to alleviate this. Is the throttle cable in need of adjustment here or is it the chain developing some slack in it?

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
To the OP, I'm glad you posted this. It reminded me that I need to adjust my throttle cable too, as it's seemed to develop a bit of slack. I noticed it on a ride the other day, but forgot to do it when I got home.

Along the same lines, does anyone know what type of lifespan you can expect from throttle cables? 15k, 20k, more? I'm right around 16k now.

BusyWeb

Reaction score
Visit site
Whenever I have same problem with throttle..
I would try to adjust Clutch Pre-Play first.
If it works then good for me, otherwise I may put my bike to the dealer to find problems.
>> never happened so far .. ha ha ha
I want to know how to adjust the throttle cable play too. :Flash:

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
As I get some miles into this bike i'm beginning to notice some slop in what i think is the throttle. After shifting into a low gear, when i close and open the throttle it takes more of a twist of the wrist to engage the gear than i believe it did when the bike had less miles on it. I'm sure you've experienced what i call "bucking" on bikes at slow speeds, say cruising along in a parking lot. It seems i cant taper that throttle like i used to to alleviate this. Is the throttle cable in need of adjustment here or is it the chain developing some slack in it?

As far as the chain adjustment goes, from what you describe, this sounds more like your problem to me.
As far as cables go, both my throttle cable and clutch cables have stretched like crazy my first 1000 miles! I have used up all of the adjustment on the bars for the throttle and almost all of the adjustment on the bars for the clutch cable. I am getting ready to adjust them myself, (on the bottom end), as soon as I get my tank emptied.
I'm not hard on my cables, (honestly). I just think the quality of these cables isn't top shelf. I have kept mine lubed and in out of the weather. 140 mph is all mine will do top end and even a dealer said it should do much better than that. (Most input here seems to indicate that approximately 155 is the average top end) It's a shame to run out of cable before you run out of bike!
JMO

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
Note: I took the plunge today and with the advice of some very knowledgeable folks on this board, (THANK YOU ALL VERY MUCH!), removing my tank, adjusting a ton of slack out of my throttle cable on the bottom end, and reinstalling the tank back on the bike was a total of about 30 minutes! I had used up all of the adjustment on my throttle cable on the grip and it was still not giving me all of my throttle. After removing the tank I was shocked to see that the cable had so much slack in it down below that it was actualy sagging past the bottom adjustment!
I used up all the adjustmen below but I now have the full-range of adjustment to begin using topside. (This board is a great place to be!)

abraxas

Biker
Reaction score
www.thinkbike.co.za
I'm on about 90k km and have changed the throttle cable once.
NB: it is actually 2 cables that need replacing.
It's a very easy job, and you can also adjust the cables under the tank.

But when i swopped mine out, they were dangerously worn. So if they are slack, look into replacing immediately, the wire frays inside the pipe.

nextfriday

Reaction score
Visit site
i adjusted some of the slack out of the clutch and throttle and i noticed a huge reduction in what i was experiencing. good fixes.:thumbup: