Adjust steering head without spanner

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have some slop in the steering head and I want to see if I can adjust it without special tools. I have a 1 1/16 socket to remove the top of the triple but no spanner for the head nuts. Can this be done by feel? I see reference to the bounce test but I would like to hear from my fz6 brothers and sisters before I start wrenching. Anyone have any advice?

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
First time I did it used a round punch to VERY carefully loosen the two nuts. Top one was not hard at all but the bottom one was a little more difficult. Just don't want to mess the nuts up. To tighten the lower nut I very carefully tapped it tight till I could feel a very small resistance to turning the steering (front wheel off the ground) and then backed off a little. I have experience adjusting bearings which was very helpful as this was done by "feel". Too tight and you damage the bearings, too loose and you have steering problems. In my head had the torque spec for the lower nut and tried to guess that I was tapping to that.

Hope this helps. Properly adjusted there should be no slop in the steering and no resistance to turning other than that caused by the cables.

Hopefully others will add to my comments.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
First time I did it used a round punch to VERY carefully loosen the two nuts. Top one was not hard at all but the bottom one was a little more difficult. Just don't want to mess the nuts up. To tighten the lower nut I very carefully tapped it tight till I could feel a very small resistance to turning the steering (front wheel off the ground) and then backed off a little. I have experience adjusting bearings which was very helpful as this was done by "feel". Too tight and you damage the bearings, too loose and you have steering problems. In my head had the torque spec for the lower nut and tried to guess that I was tapping to that.

Hope this helps. Properly adjusted there should be no slop in the steering and no resistance to turning other than that caused by the cables.

Hopefully others will add to my comments.

Without the proper spanner its down to "feel" and this is good advice ^^. The better question is "what changed?"
Personally I'd remove the top bearing and inspect that bearing. It very easy once you have the nuts loose anyway. If the play came from the bearing(s) wearing - they should be replaced as they likely have water ingress and rust.

Once the play is remove and light tension applied to the lower adjusting nut, it should only increase resistance and not make it feel all crunchy. If it feels crunchy with no play, its very likely the bearings need replaced.

Do search, there are several threads on HOW TO....

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks everyone. I used the hammer and punch take the movement. No resistance and no crunchiness. Didn't inspect the bearing this time ( had finished before all the responses were in ) but will do so before end of season. Till then she feels good as new.