Adding to the Statistics

RideFz6Style

Reaction score
Visit site
Well it happened last night, my perfect condition bike got damaged:(. My situation could be worse, but still PO. Someone decided it was okay to do a hit and run last night on my baby. I got back from dinner and found her laying on the ground. Thankfully my frame sliders took most of the damage.

Just had a question about things to look for when I go to fully check her out today.
1. Do I need to worry about anything starting the bike up since it was laying on its side?
2. My handlebars have the possibility of being bent, is there any good way to check for this besides a simple visual inspection and getting on and riding?

Thanks for looking.

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Main thing...your ok
As far as how it rides- you'll know if anything decks off as far as geometry goes.
Mirrors and such are bound to be out if whack

I don't tag it fir a run on a quiet St see how it trackss

my iPhone post using Tapatalk - sorry for any shpillong mishtooks i has fat fingies

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Visual inspection is about all you can do and see if the bars seem ****ed to one side when you are riding straight.

Least you weren't on the bike when it was hit!

Where did it happen? Parking lot? When parking at businesses always try to park against a curb spot. It gives cars much less chance to back into our bikes!

RideFz6Style

Reaction score
Visit site
Visual inspection is about all you can do and see if the bars seem ****ed to one side when you are riding straight.

Least you weren't on the bike when it was hit!

Where did it happen? Parking lot? When parking at businesses always try to park against a curb spot. It gives cars much less chance to back into our bikes!

It was parked in front of my apartment building in a gated community. I try to keep it towards the front(closest to where you pull in from) so that it will not be hidden by cars parking beside me and be visible. It was in a easily visible spot last night, some careless driver just decided not to look.

Last edited:

aclayonb

Reaction score
Visit site
Ugh. I have street parking and I just started pulling up between the houses, despite how narrow it is. The apartment complex may not let you, but it's worth asking. Either that, or put one of those motion sensing disc locks on the bike so if it happens again you might get some warning. Either that, or get a neon colored bike cover.

RideFz6Style

Reaction score
Visit site
Ugh. I have street parking and I just started pulling up between the houses, despite how narrow it is. The apartment complex may not let you, but it's worth asking. Either that, or put one of those motion sensing disc locks on the bike so if it happens again you might get some warning. Either that, or get a neon colored bike cover.

That would be a good idea, but can't really do that here because of how our units are built here. I think the neon colored bike cover is a good idea though. I may even rig some sort of light strip on it or put traffic cones in front of my bike.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Typically its not an issue but being a 4 stroke with an open sump the oil can migrate past the piston rings (from the oil sump) and create a hydrostatic lock.

Meaning; you hit the start button the piston on the low side tries to compress a volume of oil which does not compress. It bends the connecting rod and engine is ruined.

Not likely to happen in 15" of being on its side. But 8 hours could be a factor.

Options:
1) Safest thing is to remove the spark plug on the low side where the oil could have went AND THEN crank it over.

2) Stand it up pull the plug on the right side engine cover and turn it by hand using a ratchet. If it turns evenly and consistently without locking up, go ahead and hit the starter button.

3) Set it up right and let it sit an equal or longer time upright so the oil can seep past the piston ring to the sump. THERE IS NO GUARANTEE this will work due to the different angles.

Sometimes its better to be safe than sorry.

Sorry and Good luck!

RideFz6Style

Reaction score
Visit site
Typically its not an issue but being a 4 stroke with an open sump the oil can migrate past the piston rings (from the oil sump) and create a hydrostatic lock.

Meaning; you hit the start button the piston on the low side tries to compress a volume of oil which does not compress. It bends the connecting rod and engine is ruined.

Not likely to happen in 15" of being on its side. But 8 hours could be a factor.

Options:
1) Safest thing is to remove the spark plug on the low side where the oil could have went AND THEN crank it over.

2) Stand it up pull the plug on the right side engine cover and turn it by hand using a ratchet. If it turns evenly and consistently without locking up, go ahead and hit the starter button.

3) Set it up right and let it sit an equal or longer time upright so the oil can seep past the piston ring to the sump. THERE IS NO GUARANTEE this will work due to the different angles.

Sometimes its better to be safe than sorry.

Sorry and Good luck!

Thanks for the advice. I am currently at work and it is back standing upright obviously. It was probably on the ground for 10-20 minutes max.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
If I lived in apartments I would invest in a white, silver or other bright colored bike cover. It really is hard to see a bike at night when backing into or out of a parking spot since bikes don't have reflectors on the front end and are much smaller anyway.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Your lucky your bike wasn't stolen. Apartments are one of the prime areas for bikes to be stolen. I live in an apartment too but I also have a garage.

RideFz6Style

Reaction score
Visit site
Your lucky your bike wasn't stolen. Apartments are one of the prime areas for bikes to be stolen. I live in an apartment too but I also have a garage.

Yes I agree, that's why I said it could be worse. I am always afraid of that even with a giant chain lock and disk lock on the bike. I think its time to look into a new brighter cover.