Add-ons/general advice for 07 fz6

WinMit

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey, I am buying an 07 fz6 today (my first bike) and am wondering if there is anything that I should know about them and if there is anything that is worth adding mod and accessory wise?

It has:
-Woodcraft Frame Sliders
-K&N Air Filter
-Pazzo Adjustable Levers
-Front Fender Extender
-Kappa Mono Key Lockable Hard Bags
-Dual Headlight Mod
-heated grips (controls are screwy)

Recent work done: (it has 29k km)
-New Spark Plugs
-Radiator Flushed
-Tires Pilot Road 2 lots of tread left
-Swing Arm & Steering Head Bearings Greased

The oil needs to be replaced pretty soon, is there anything else I should check?

I have read lots of the threads here and I think I want to put better headlights in, eventually get scorpion or Leo Vance exhausts, and a few other little things.

What is a good air filter? I have seen that k&n let in a lot of dust and I don't want that happening.

Thanks!

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site
It seems the previous owner was good at getting the maintenance done and chose decent modifications for the bike.

On the topic of synthetic oil, you'll get tons of opinions when you ask about oil. I changed my oil over the winter (still have not ridden the bike since the change) and I opted to move away from the OEM parts. I used a Purolator oil filter with Motul 7100 20w50 Oil instead of the OEM filter with Yamalube oil. I've always been a fan of synthetic oil for all of the motors I run (cars, trucks, lawnmowers, etc.) because it has been proven time and time again to protect engine internals better. Now is the increased cost worth these benefits? I think so, others do not. It's up to you.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The bolt ons listed are very noninvasive and may be things you would do yourself. If that is the case, those are all things you don't have to do. Although I would double check all fasteners for proper tension!

Sounds like you just need the brake fluid flushed and pressure bled and your set! Maybe do the forks too! Toss in some 10wt in favor of the 5wt??

JM2C - or what I've observed over time....
A bike left completely stock can indicate its just a vehicle with no vested interest. Point - you might find the bikes with more goodies to be better maintained than some of those DD..

Obviously you would have no interest in my bike!! Blah Despite it being meticulously maintained and fresh fluids in every orifice! :D:D

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site
The bolt ons listed are very noninvasive and may be things you would do yourself. If that is the case, those are all things you don't have to do. Although I would double check all fasteners for proper tension!

Sounds like you just need the brake fluid flushed and pressure bled and your set! Maybe do the forks too! Toss in some 10wt in favor of the 5wt??

JM2C - or what I've observed over time....
A bike left completely stock can indicate its just a vehicle with no vested interest. Point - you might find the bikes with more goodies to be better maintained than some of those DD..

Obviously you would have no interest in my bike!! Blah Despite it being meticulously maintained and fresh fluids in every orifice! :D:D
See that's where you're wrong. I would love to take your bike off your hands. It would save me a lot of trouble and work!

WinMit

Reaction score
Visit site
The owner has definitely taken very good care of the bike and they guy he bought it from kept it in showroom condition.

I shall check and flush all the fluids and make sure everything is nice and lubricated.

We are finally getting our spring rain that has been long over due so it might have to wait a few days.

I am definitely going to put more sliders on the bike since there are only ones on the rear. I am also going to look into getting rid of the k&n air filter.

I am 6'3" so I am hoping the wind won't be to bad on my helmet since I hear aftermarket screens don't do so well for people of my height.

BWillie

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm new here too and picked up an FZ6 as my first bike. :welcome:

Agreed about the mods, it's all stuff you'd probably end up buying anyway. Pazzo levers too! :cool:

Depending on the brand of the heated grips you can probably buy a new control unit for it, solves 99% of problems and saves buying and fitting a whole new set.

See how you get on with the existing bulbs, the dual headlight mod alone is supposed to be a huge improvement. If you're still wanting more light I've had good experiences with Osram Nighbreakers.

If it were me I'd just replace the air filter with an OE replacement part. Either that or spend the same money on a cleaning kit for it.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I bought my '07 used also, owner had installed a K&N; that's the first I've heard that they let dust in. :confused:
Had the previous owner been riding actively until he sold it to you? If not, it wouldn't hurt to check the manufacturing date on the tires, even though there's good tread on them. That's now an issue with my fizzer, since I've been on the beemer most of the time the last two years. :spank:

WinMit

Reaction score
Visit site
There is a thread on here somewhere that I saw the other day with a link to an experiment with a special machine and several brands of air filters. The test sends a certain amount of dust of varying sizes through each filter and measure the amount that goes through each one under certain circumstances. It also measures how fast each filter reaches it's maximum load of dirt. K&N filters let the most air through but also let the most dirt through and lasted the least amount of time.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
There is a thread on here somewhere that I saw the other day with a link to an experiment with a special machine and several brands of air filters. The test sends a certain amount of dust of varying sizes through each filter and measure the amount that goes through each one under certain circumstances. It also measures how fast each filter reaches it's maximum load of dirt. K&N filters let the most air through but also let the most dirt through and lasted the least amount of time.

That is a good recap of filter test ^^. Too much hyp (K &N) IMO; id run the oem its effective, fits proper, delivers clean air. Its hard to beat.
Oiled pre filters (before dry filters) are great for high dust conditions the only place i ran k&n was the stand up jet ski. That marine environment is pretty clean.
There are places for them, I'm just not sure this is the best one i.e. cleanable elements. A filter every 10 - 15,000 in these parts seems to like a reasonable expense that I'm Ok with.

Edit: as for wind screens, I guess it all depends where you get that height from. Adding 4" to stock helps us who are 5'10" w/32" inseam. Hint, its flush or just above the stock mirrors on a faired S2 bike.

Last edited:

WinMit

Reaction score
Visit site
It runs great though and is super clean. I have yet to take it on the highway. I have to insure it still and the most riding I've done is on my 50cc yamaha bws 50cc scooter and on the old honda titan 125 at the training course I took.