Accurate Chain Adjustment ?

carbonar1

....as a kite
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi gang, I've had an 05 FZ6n for a couple of months now. I bought it stock, with very low mileage but unloved. I've been slowly working my way though it freshening it up and improving it. It's for my wife, although I have been blowing the cobwebs out of it occasionally.

I've put new Bridgestone S20R's on it, new oil and filters, new brake fluid and Mocool coolant, new fork oil and All Balls steering head bearings, a pair of Leo Vince Evo mufflers and a Power Commander, Renthal grips and R&G crash knobs, a Healtech gear indicator and a TWM filler cap, orange rim tape and a fat orange stripe down the tank.

QLlXbOd.jpg

20130318_154727_zps61a4aa80.jpg

I'm no stranger to maintenance, this is about my 25th bike....but the chain adjustment perplexes me! Are you seriously supposed to use the one or two ridges that are barely visible in the hole in the swingarm?

De7O5FH.jpg

Using the rear end of the hole in the swingarm as a reference point?

Really?

Are there any aftermarket chain adjuster options?

The OEM adjusters on my 01 R1...

ynLSVz9.jpg

The Gilles adjusters on my 06R1...

DSCF09009.jpg

Even the crappy old adjusters on my sh!tty old '96 Fail Bladder are more useful!

OmypCqH.jpg

What are we...savages? Shame on you Yamaha!

I suppose you long term owners are very familiar with the string line method?! :shakehead:

Last edited:

Enginezzz

Reaction score
Visit site
I personally measure the distance from swing arm pivot centre to rear axle centre on each side, takes two people and a keen eye to get it accurate but gives peace of mind if you know it's right, of the three bikes in our household the only one with accurate chain block marks is an 01 r6, fz6 is slightly off and my 650 bandit is miles off, suzuki's eh...

carbonar1

....as a kite
Reaction score
Visit site
Nice one, another casual glance method is to look along the top of the chain from the rear to the front sprocket. Any deviation in alignment is immediately noticeable. Then you have to you use yours or my method to assure accuracy.

If there are any aftermarket options I'd love to hear of them....Although I doubt it, considering the design there is to work with. Piss poor, Yamaha.

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
Chain Alignment Tool | Motion Pro

You could use something like that, it's a chain alignment tool but subsequently also aligns your rear tire.

I personally use the handlebar alignment at speed to judge my rear tire alignment. You can tell when its off. Once I got it right, I simply turn the adjustment nuts equal amounts whenever I adjust the chain slack.

Last edited:

carbonar1

....as a kite
Reaction score
Visit site
:thumbup:Cheers mate. I'm aware of the alternative methods, I guess there are no bolt-on aftermarket options then?

fb40dash5

Reaction score
Visit site
S2 swingarm bolts on, and has adjusters like your R1... I think you guys can even get them with a silver frame?

chemicalsmile

Reaction score
Visit site
The alignment marks are off on my 08 so I definitely wouldn't recommended swapping just for that functionality. I ended up getting one of the MotionPro tools that outasight20 referenced and it's much easier than tweaking it until the chain rides on the center of the sprocket.

dpaul007

Reaction score
Visit site
I also have the motionpro tool. I have yet to use it though. My wheels are off the bike and getting a change of tires, but I will definitely try it out when I put everything back together.

Last edited:

fb40dash5

Reaction score
Visit site
The alignment marks are off on my 08 so I definitely wouldn't recommended swapping just for that functionality. I ended up getting one of the MotionPro tools that outasight20 referenced and it's much easier than tweaking it until the chain rides on the center of the sprocket.

At least yours are pretty and nonfunctional. :BLAA:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The S2 swing arm does offer one benefit in that you can use a set of dial indicators to measure from the end cap to that aluminum block.

I used the string method to set mine and verified it with calipers and both agreed so moving forward I can use the calipers.

I personally don't see how measuring from the pivot to the axle is beneficial as *most of us* do not have an accurate means to determine the holes center seeings how NONE of them are the same diameter. Now if you have a conical plug which locates the center of each, that would help.

If you wish to give it try - here ya go!
http://www.600riders.com/forum/how-tos/40463-how-string-align-your-rear-wheel.html

Sigg79

Reaction score
Visit site
I have used the string method too. Doesn't take long to do, and gets things lined up. I have a tool similar to the Motionpro one, but even after using that, the string alignment indicated that the wheels weren't properly aligned. The Motionpro tool is better than nothing, but it's better to just do the string alignment when you decide to do the job.

n0other

biker wannabe
Reaction score
Visit site
Good topic!

I've done my chain adjustment recently and besides using the (indeed crappy) adjustment marks I've measured the distance between end of the bold to the first nut. Bolts and nuts are the same so this gives additional peace of mind and is accurate.

Sorry for the crappy focus, couldn't get it right on my mobile.

chain_adjust_caliper.jpg

it's the other end of a caliper, used to measure depth normally. Anyone using something like that?

carbonar1

....as a kite
Reaction score
Visit site
I've measured the distance between end of the bold to the first nut....

:thumbup: I like that...it's easy.

I might do the string method to assure accuracy, then check your way. And if they're even I'll do it your way from then on.

Good one, cheers. :)

carbonar1

....as a kite
Reaction score
Visit site
How did you do the orange stripe on the tank? I want to do something like this on my bike.

I got some orange signwriting vinyl, cut some 65mm strips and stuck them on. And I put some 9mm black pinstriping tape on each side. It looks way cool I reckon.

I installed a15 tooth front sprocket, so it was time to do the chain. I set it roughly right visually, then used the string method to get it exactly right. Then I checked the length of the exposed thread sticking out the end of the swingarm with a set of verniers, and they were exactly the same to the .01 of a millimetre.

So I can trust that "exposed thread method" to accurately set the chain adjustment.

The shorter gearing was great, it picks up speed much more easily now.

Next mod will be a home made quick turn throttle. :thumbup: