ABS swap. Am I crazy?

geetarhero

Reaction score
Visit site
After an hours worth of low speed manouvering in a parking lot and locking up the rear MANY times im sitting here wondering why the FZ6 in NA never got the option for ABS?
It was the only thing that made me not want the FZ over an SV650 but the $2000 price difference settled it for me and here I am

However, ive been trying to dig up some info on what would be involved in using a european spec ABS module and rigging it up to my inferior bike.
Unfortunately there is very little info regarding the difference in wiring, engine layout or ABS system and parts used in conjunction that the euro bike uses.

just wondering if anyone has any sort of link that could help me figure out what im going to be needing thanks!

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
The rear brake can be very usefull in low speed manuvering and can aid a great deal in highspeed braking as well.

Not sure where you guys are getting this info on not using the rear brake at all, it blows my mind.

-bryan

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
The rear brake can be very usefull in low speed manuvering and can aid a great deal in highspeed braking as well.

Not sure where you guys are getting this info on not using the rear brake at all, it blows my mind.

-bryan

That's not what I meant to imply.

In EVERY real world emergency stop situation I've encountered, using ANY rear brake caused the rear wheel to lock up and skid, and that took my attention off and caused me to under use the front brake.

I use the rear brake A LOT. I use it for all non-emergency stops, and use it for slowing down/increasing turn in on a corner if I need to.

It's very dangerous to overuse the rear and underuse the front.

Braking like everything else on a motorcycle is a LEARNED skill, and it takes PRACTICE.

scottsst

Reaction score
Visit site
always use the rear brake the front brake on the FZ6 even with a braided stainless line on the front are not even that strong . you will pull 20 feet out of your stoping distance if you use it. all you have to do is get used to finding where the rear wants to lock up and use that point to your advatage

mpb218

Reaction score
Visit site
That's not what I meant to imply.

In EVERY real world emergency stop situation I've encountered, using ANY rear brake caused the rear wheel to lock up and skid, and that took my attention off and caused me to under use the front brake.

Right. It locks up. The ABS will stop that. That's why he wants it.

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site

-bryan

I get my info from real world emergency braking AND Reg Pridmore who also teaches that in hard braking the front should do 90% or more (he says just stay away from the rear brake) in panic stops. You can steer while braking when using the front brake.

Used to own a ST1100, let me tell you what a handful that bike was when the rear slides around. A huge reason my I bought the FJR with ABS (pre 06 you had a choice) was to be able to use all the braking power.

Of course the rear brake is used in slow speed maneuvers and slight control braking in high speed. I do practice hard stops but no matter how hard I try in a panic stop, if I touch the rear it will lock up. I've been riding well over 20 years and found this to be the case on the many bikes I ride unless they have a drum rear brake.

Have you not noticed how many forum members talk of the slides they have due to using the rear brake.

It just sucks that N.A. FZ6 does not have ABS as a option.

thetimanator

Reaction score
Visit site
Your not crazy at all. I have been thinking about this recently as well. I would think it would just be swapping all the necessary parts...whatever those are. :D

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
Right. It locks up. The ABS will stop that. That's why he wants it.

I understand, and if he wants to do that I'm not gonna tell him not to!

But for me, learning the best way to master what you have is better than spending $1,000 converting it to ABS.

Now, if I ever buy a new bike in the coming years, I'll look for one with ABS.
But ABS is only used when you grab hard enough to lock the tires, which you shouldn't be doing.

It takes less than 15 feet for my FZ6 to go from 35mph to 0mph using only the front brake.

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
However, ive been trying to dig up some info on what would be involved in using a european spec ABS module and rigging it up to my inferior bike.
Unfortunately there is very little info regarding the difference in wiring, engine layout or ABS system and parts used in conjunction that the euro bike uses.

It wouldn't be an easy addon, but I have no doubt that it can be done.

I'll make you a deal. Buy two sets of all the parts needed for the swap, and I'll put one set on my bike and turn the other set into a kit for you.

Any takers?

Anyone?

Bueller? Bueller?

Raid The Revenge

Reaction score
Visit site
The HAYNES manual is thicker by 1 cm, because of all the extra pages that are needed to describe the Anti-lock Brake System.

With enough practice (this info coming from someone who's studying kinesiology) you can train your muscles to work better than any ABS system.

Keep your focal vision on the target (direction you want to go or stop) and your motor (muscle) system will follow an automatic routine. With enough practice, you can teach your muscle system to become it's 'own' ABS system and apply the brakes without locking up the tires.

Last edited:

chemicalsmile

Reaction score
Visit site
My last bike was a BMW with ABS. I never even had it engage on the front unintentionally. It helped out on the rear since it locked up pretty easily but I never felt that it was worth the expense or the PITA it was to bleed the brakes. Unless you have one of their $1k ECU computers to cycle the ABS pumps you had to bleed the brakes, go out and engage the ABS (lock the tires), bleed the brakes again, go and lock em up again, etc. Aside from all the brake fluid I wasted, I never felt confident that I'd got all the old fluid and air bubbles out of the system. I honestly think it makes you a worse rider - to this day I still have a problem mashing on the rear brake in emergency situations because I was so used to having the ABS as a replacement for correct braking techniques.

Last edited: