About windscreens

arcata2

Reaction score
Visit site
I am in the market for a taller windscreen. Does anyone know what the height differences are between them. I.e. how much taller than stock is say the Puig touring or the Puig racing or what other brands should I look at. Who out there can say 'hey you gotta get this one'. I am 6' and just get the wind right in the face. So tell me what one you like and why.....

goker

------------
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I just bought this Yamaha FZ6 Windshields for mine and like it a lot. I am not as tall as you and I picked out the medium size for mine (site has links to others who has them if you want to get a better feel of it). Because of the way the air hits me now, it increased my helmet noise a little (seems to be common occurrence for many) but my rides are much more comfortable now. With the original one I was getting the full wind effects especially in highway speeds (basically had to duck down when I go over 70 mph which was very annoying), but with this shield it is noticeably better and I don't notice the wind effect close to 80 mph which means I keep better eye on the speedometer. :Flash: My daily commutes are much more comfortable now. It is definitely a cruiser shield and considerably bigger than the stock. If you follow the links on the site for reviews, you will see actual pictures of the comparison between two.

blchandl2

Reaction score
Visit site

blchandl2

Reaction score
Visit site
Wow. Cool site. And not only that I see exactly what my bike will look like as they have the same year/color bike in the photos. Thanks for the input.

The bike in the picture is my bike. I was the test dummy for the development of the screen.

cv_rider

Reaction score
Visit site
I have the Calsci +11 (11" taller than stock). As you study windshields, you will come to realize there is a continuum of wind blast vs wind noise. On the one end, people cut their windshield down to make it shorter, or have no windshield at all. This leaves your body totally exposed to an 80mph wind blast at freeway speeds, which I personally found exhausting. But the air that hits your helmet is smooth, so it is quiet. On the other end, the tall screens push the moving air up towards your helmet. No air hits your body and the amount of air hitting your helmet is small, but it is turbulent, so it is loud. I put an inverted lip on top of my Calsci which was needed to lift the air a bit higher and totally over my helmet, so now it is free from wind blast AND wind noise. But it looks dorky. But comfort is my top priority, so I'm happy with it.

d6hd6h

Reaction score
Visit site
I am 6ft. I put on the Puig racing screen. What a difference!!! It is not so much the height of the shield as it is the shape of the shield. The double bubble makes all the difference!!!

D-Mac

Distance Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I am in the market for a taller windscreen. Does anyone know what the height differences are between them. I.e. how much taller than stock is say the Puig touring or the Puig racing or what other brands should I look at. Who out there can say 'hey you gotta get this one'. I am 6' and just get the wind right in the face. So tell me what one you like and why.....

For your bike (07) you have a lot of choices. I'd say Puig, Yamaha, Cee Bailey, and CalSci are the main choices around here. There are some other new ones out there as well (several released within the past year).

For touring, I'd say go with CalSci or Cee Bailey (you can find lots of posts using those key words). They're the tallest ones.

I run the tallest Cee Bailey (their tallest is the same as the mid-sized 9.5" CalSci, but the Cee Bailey sweeps upwards more and probably has similar protection as the tallest CalSci). I actually like the way it looks at it makes a big difference on longer rides. There is some increased noise, so it's a bit of a trade-off for better wind protection. I'm 5'11".

arcata2

Reaction score
Visit site
For your bike (07) you have a lot of choices. I'd say Puig, Yamaha, Cee Bailey, and CalSci are the main choices around here. There are some other new ones out there as well (several released within the past year).

For touring, I'd say go with CalSci or Cee Bailey (you can find lots of posts using those key words). They're the tallest ones.

I run the tallest Cee Bailey (their tallest is the same as the mid-sized 9.5" CalSci, but the Cee Bailey sweeps upwards more and probably has similar protection as the tallest CalSci). I actually like the way it looks at it makes a big difference on longer rides. There is some increased noise, so it's a bit of a trade-off for better wind protection. I'm 5'11".
Thanks for the input. Also 2 questions. I see on your mods list that you removed all the stickers. What did you use. I haven't attempted it yet as I had a devil of a time with the gas tank sticker on my v-star but I just got some swing arm decals and the stickers need to go. Also how did you set up the blue mods list on your postings?

And thanks to everyone who responded. I now know a lot more about windscreens/windshields than I did a day ago.

Last edited:

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The Puig double bubble will suit you.

It suits all the taller riders.

An altrnative is to search for my "2006 windscreen mod" I guarantee it will get rid of the buffeting.

Steve