About bit the dust today guys...

squirrel_master

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, I about bit the dust today... I rode my fz6 300 miles to my hometown on Friday and had no problems. I was riding around the area about noon today heading toward town and about got hit head on by some *******. Coming toward me, there is a straight stretch and at the end, the road goes down hill(sort of a blind hill) and it turns to the right as soon as it starts to descend. I was coming up the hill and the car comes over the hill, but doesnt turn. They just keep going straight and start to come into my lane. The car was pretty far off and I begin to slow down. He eventually comes all the way into my lane and at this point, Im about an inch from going into the gravel off the road. I had managed to get to a speed of about 15mph(slowed down from 55mph). The other driver was probably doing 45 or so.

Regardless of whether I was off the road or not, they weren't paying a bit of attention and were still headed straight toward me aiming for the bank on the opposite site of the road and I was in their direct path. About two car lengths in front of me, I guess they look up and somehow manage to swerve back to their lane.. Kinda shook me up for the entire day

dturpen

Gamer/Bike Enthusiast
Reaction score
Visit site
Good thing you were paying attention! Glad you didn't go down or get hurt. You always have to keep an eye out for bad drivers like that! Always be prepared for the worst, and keep your awareness up just for situations like that. Also, you have to remember ATGATT!!

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Did you use your horn? They were probably drunk or texting. Good job in paying attention. Ultimatley, you are responsible for your own safety. And you just proved it.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Damn, glad you made it thru. :eek:

I've noticed, in the last week, that cagers have become extremely careless, I've had FIVE close calls in the last week, more than I've had in two years. WTH is going on?!?! :(

Nobby

Reaction score
Visit site
Good work dude,glad your OK.

Another good tip for those situations is,dont go to there side of the road,cause thats where they'll head when they hear your horn :eek:

squirrel_master

Reaction score
Visit site
If I was just cruising along and not have noticed the car as soon as it came over the hill, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have been able to slow down in time. I had my lightweight jacket(still much better than nothing) and helmet on.

After the whole thing past, I started thinking about the situation and what I did wrong or could have done better. I didn't use my horn. I think because I sort of froze and was doing everything I could to not to go through this persons windshield. Although, hitting the horn may have got them to pay attention sooner.

I'm not sure if I would have done it or not, but I think the best thing to do once I knew for sure the car was going to hit me would have been to bail off the bike. I say this because I had gotten the bike down to such a slow speed and I was pretty much off the road already. Mostly grass with a little bit of gravel near the road.

EDIT* oh and I did come somewhat close to going down because I was so far off the road. The slowing down and loose gravel combination caused some fish tailing..

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Man! I hate hearing that!
Great job! Always like hearing of an alert rider.

ELIZABETH

Goofball Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm glad you are unhurt (other than your nerves). You did a great job being aware of what was happening around you. :thumbup:

novaks47

Yeah!
Reaction score
Visit site
Damn, scary! Glad you didn't get hit by the moron! Some friendly advice from personal experience(not criticizing you here) : get used to using your horn! I used to freeze up to. It's easy to do, especially when your're busy trying to not get nailed. If you practice though, hitting that button with your thumb will become second nature, regardless of what else you're doing at the moment.

@ Botch : No kidding! It's gotten much worse here too. I think it's due to the schools being in session now. Traffic levels have doubled here, and they're all blind, or don't care who's there when they change lanes, merge, or pull out of a driveway. In the last two weeks, I've nearly gotten hit 3 times! Twice in one day! A cop even saw me almost get hit my some moron that pulled out of a driveway without looking, and he couldn't have cared less. Around here, unless you're speeding, or have several visible mods, your're not gonna get pulled over. So basically, you have to be speeding, or look like your going to speed to get popped. Almost hit a motorcyclist whilst not looking? Bah, who cares! :shakehead:

Last edited:

Bryan-

Reaction score
Visit site
It's insane what kind of idiots are allowed to drive a car. I'm just glad i have a really loud exhaust so if I see danger.. just let the engine rev.. I'm just missing the airhorn!:spank:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, like I have said before, you can't rely on your horn 100% of the time.

I have the Stebel and just the other day, during rush hour, I had a limo make a bad lane change on me, I used the horn and had it blasted for five full seconds and the moron still insisted coming into my lane, so I had no other choice but to brake. I was pissed, he clearly saw me, and he still forced his way into my lane. Unlike others, who immediately realize their mistake and go back into their original lane.

So here I am, pissed off in bumper to bumper traffic. Unable to split because I'm not in the greatest state for riding motorcycles (California).
I thought of pulling up next to him and start ranting but I knew better.

Instead......... I just flipped down my full face helmet and started looging on the back of the limo. As long as he was going to be in front of me, I was going to cake him with my cotton mouth. It was landing on the hood of the car, rear window, and the trunk. Getting baked in that 107 degree heat. Thank God he finally changed lanes, my mouth was getting freaking dry.

Yeah that was bad on my part, but it's no different than some cager flipping their cigarette out the window and hitting you on purpose. They know that you're there and think it's funny. Well I know how to get the last laugh!

Last edited:

darkstofknightz

Reaction score
Visit site

I have the Stebel and just the other day, during rush hour, I had a limo make a bad lane change on me, I used the horn and had it blasted for five full seconds and the moron still insisted coming into my lane, so I had no other choice but to brake. I was pissed, he clearly saw me, and he still forced his way into my lane. Unlike others, who immediately realize their mistake and go back into their original lane.

So here I am, pissed off in bumper to bumper traffic. Unable to split because I'm not in the greatest state for riding motorcycles (California).

Instead......... I just flipped down my full face helmet and started looging on the back of the limo. As long as he was going to be in front of me, I was going to cake him with my cotton mouth. It was landing on the hood of the car, rear window, and the trunk. Getting baked in that 107 degree heat. Thank God he finally changed lanes, my mouth was getting freaking dry.

Yeah that was bad on my part, but it's no different than some cager flipping their cigarette out the window and hitting you on purpose. They know that you're there and think it's funny. Well I know how to get the last laugh!

Not that I condone it, but I used to know a guy that had a tiny hammer with a small holster on the side of his bike, when ever someone did something like this to him and was arrogant enough to not care about the mistake they made he would take out their side mirrors (he had one of those license plates tucked way under the tail, not visible). However I would imagine that doing something like that today would get you locked up pretty quick.

I bet however that whoever cut him off and had to buy new mirrors would actually use them from then on. :rockon:

tomari

Just a custom user title!
Reaction score
Visit site

ahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
:bow: :rockon: :Flip: :popcorn: :rof: :rof:
NICEEEEEEEE

im gonna buy a new visor for my old flip up helmet right now!!!