A Saab Story

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi, I'm Botch, and I'm a Saaboholic. :rockon: I've been driving them since 1985.

A couple weeks ago the "Time for Service" light came on on my 2001 Saab 9-3 Convertible. I made an appointment to take her in this morning, and a couple days later the "Check Engine" light came on too, so I parked it until this morning. Raining like a bandit this morning, the 25-minute drive to Salt Lake City took almost an hour. The "Check Engine" light never came on.

After about an hour the tech came to the waiting room and told me the computer had recorded the light coming on, and that my Direct Ignition module was about to go belly-up. They had one in stock, and it'd be about $600 part/labor to replace it; I told them to go ahead.
When they printed out the paperwork, look what printed out!
_DSC0039.jpg

:eek:

Saab went bankrupt last year. GM sold them to a European manufacturer, they lost more money, and last January the European party tried to sell Saab to a small Chinese manufacturer, but I learned this morning that GM was somehow able to block that sale to protect the technology rights they got when they bought Saab, and didn't want to affect their (GM's) market in China, and let them be liquidated (for you GM: :Flip:)

Anyway, the dealership told me once the bankruptcy proceedings were finished someone would buy up the Parts section of the company, but until that happens, parts will only become more and more hard to come by. I'll keep her for now; if it were my only transportation I think I'd have to sell it while I could rather than driving it til I couldn't. The waiting room is adjacent to the Parts Counter, and during the 2.5 hours I was waiting there the Parts guy placed about three orders for parts they didn't have, and he had to scan the other dealerships for availability. A sad situation for me... :(

So what you're saying is, you found the last of something in existence..

All I'm saying is that when the zombie apocalypse happens, you and I are going to be hunting for twinkies.

Wah, wah...try owning a 2000 Honda Insight since new.

First-year, quasi-experimental model, minimal sales volume, owned by few, hated by most...the only thing better than your situation is that new parts *are* still available for mine.

You just need an Obama-sized predisposition for spending to get any of them.

But for you...what do they say when you can't get any more of something....?

Ah, yes...they're made of "Unobtainium." :p

I drive an old 92 volvo 240 wagon. I love my car, I mean I seriously love my car. When the thought comes up about what "will i eventually replace it with?" I used to routinely come up with "A Saab 9-5 wagon" but now, very sadly, its almost not an option:(. and its a shame because Saab for the longest time have been on the cutting edge of Turbocharger technology and for years made the world's most advanced 4-cylinder engine available in a car.

eEuroparts.com has them in stock. They carry a good selection of Saab parts, so all Saab owners should be familiar with them. (The last one I bought was just a little over $300, so I was surprised how much the price had increased.)

By the way, here's a photo and dyno run of my Saab. For those who aren't familiar with the Viggen, it's the high-performance version of the early Saab 9-3. Stock, they put about 210 horsepower on the front wheels, so this modified one with about 400 HP and 400 lb-feet of torque is a handful.

eEuroparts.com has them in stock. They carry a good selection of Saab parts...
Yeah, someone posted another source for it on another forum; don't know if this was a way to get me to buy one of their remaining Saabs as a replacement, or what (my next car, should I live long enough to need one, won't be a Saab, but don't know what it WILL be...).

400 HP?!?!? Wow, my standard 9-3 torque-steers badly when I tromp down on the pedal, can't imagine what 400 hp would feel like! :eek:

400 HP?!?!? Wow, my standard 9-3 torque-steers badly when I tromp down on the pedal, can't imagine what 400 hp would feel like! :eek:

With that kind of power, you get in the habit of holding on tight. You can make a lot of tire smoke, too, if you're not careful.

Back