A perfect commuter bike? 2012 Honda NC700S

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Is it just a naked & updated version of this :confused: :confused:

honda-nt700v-2_460x0w.jpg

Coz if it is then it'll be brilliant to ride , I put the NT700V up there with the finest touring bikes on the planet & HUGELY underated :thumbup:

oldschoolsdime92

Reaction score
Visit site
Very nice little bike. Its about time Honda has an entry to compete with the FZ, GS and Ninja in the US. Interesting design for Honda as well.

Hate that swingarm though and I agree the weight seems a bit excessive...

They did previously also. The 599 and the 919. Definitly a neat bike.

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
That's a pretty impressive design. The stripped down picture of just the rolling chassis shows just how low the center of gravity is. It's gotta handle GREAT and be a snap to ride!

Being a Honda, though, it's probably in the $6k-$10k range.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Coz if it is then it'll be brilliant to ride , I put the NT700V up there with the finest touring bikes on the planet & HUGELY underated :thumbup:

680cc liquid-cooled 52 degree V-twin. The NT is a different bike. :D

spock

Reaction score
Visit site
Things on the different sides of the pond are really funny :D

You guys say that 700cc is a little bike.

Here instead a 700cc is pretty BIG bike, actually most motorcycle lovers won't have even a 600cc ever in their lifes :confused: ... sad!

a FZ6 here is a luxury toy, I have one because I am single and live with my parents so I am not paying a house, if not I just could have up to a 250cc being lucky

:thumbup:

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Here instead a 700cc is pretty BIG bike, actually most motorcycle lovers won't have even a 600cc ever in their lifes :confused: ... sad!

a FZ6 here is a luxury toy, I have one because I am single and live with my parents so I am not paying a house, if not I just could have up to a 250cc being lucky

Thanks for the perspective!

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
I know it's a commuter bike but 700cc only 47 hp? My Versys 650 is making 67 at the wheel...

Another thing i noticed... looks rather similar in a multitude of way to the ER6n
Except the ER6n makes like 70hp with a twin engine as well :D

If the price was right though...

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
I know it's a commuter bike but 700cc only 47 hp? My Versys 650 is making 67 at the wheel...

Another thing i noticed... looks rather similar in a multitude of way to the ER6n
Except the ER6n makes like 70hp with a twin engine as well :D

If the price was right though...

I agree less than 50hp out of a 700cc.....that old ktm i just picked up is i think 580cc and is rated at 49hp and its a 88 model....the technology is there for smaller cc engines to produce over 50hp and still be reliable and get great mpg....so why not use it

Sent from my Pocket Rocket with Tapatalk

fizz_off

Reaction score
Visit site

Yup...that thar's what I moved to earlier this year. 2011 w/ABS...more comfortable (for me), smoother when shifting gears (though I still manage a "clunk" once in a while - to remind me of the FZ6 I suppose :D) manually adjustable wind screen and (TA DA) drive shaft (wooHOO). A little more $$$ than the 6 but the trade in I got for the NT made it a wash. Also, less vibration from the engine/motor.

Still miss my FZ6 occasionally when I "feel the urge" on the slab but...

'kay, NOW you can :ban: me. :BLAA:

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site

Most parts of the world are accustomed to smaller cc bikes. I think the biggest reason for the displacement craze in the US has to do with the fact that in order to stay alive on US freeways you have to be able to merge into and keep up with traffic that is all going between 65 and 90 mph (105 - 145 kph). Anything less than 500cc just doesn't do well.

If this Honda will keep up with traffic at US freeway speeds and get close to 80mpg at slower speeds, sounds like a great commuter to me!

spock

Reaction score
Visit site
I agree with you Fizzer, definitely pretty different traffic conditions, from the maps, videos, photos oh boy your country is HUGE (I haven't been there :D), actually we don't have highways strictly speaking in terms of infrastructure, access roads, roads quality, etc, in terms of speed ... well you can imagine the traffic law enforcement is not as strong, fortunately :ban::D jk!

you should see all the guys here merging into traffic in "fast" roads at 100+ km/h on the heavily sold and pretty reliable Indian made Colombian assembled Bajaj Pulsar 180cc and 220cc , oh boy those bikes can go pretty fast in our roads, before the FZ6 I had during three years a 180cc one, and it was usual to me to be scrapping both pegs, now with the FZ6 I really don't like that sensation, go figure!

Here is not really common to see cagers speeding, at least not to the point bikers do, actually riding or at least trying to ride motorcycles fast (over the non sense speed limits not racetrack style) is a very common practice no matter the type of bike, in cars, you can see powerful cars going 60 km/h in 90 km/h zones with an empty and dry road ... no way :spank:

Last edited:

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yup...that thar's what I moved to earlier this year. 2011 w/ABS...more comfortable (for me), smoother when shifting gears (though I still manage a "clunk" once in a while - to remind me of the FZ6 I suppose :D) manually adjustable wind screen and (TA DA) drive shaft (wooHOO). A little more $$$ than the 6 but the trade in I got for the NT made it a wash. Also, less vibration from the engine/motor.

Still miss my FZ6 occasionally when I "feel the urge" on the slab but...

'kay, NOW you can :ban: me. :BLAA:

We aint banning you mate I love the NT as well :thumbup: They are a fantastic bike & the turn of foot when you twist the throttle isnt lacking either :D My mates wife has one & he fitted it with a k&n filter , Akra slip-ons & a pcIII , sounds & goes like the clappers ;)

Chupacabra

College Graduate??
Reaction score
Visit site
I like how excited we get as enthusiasts on a non-Honda forum. This appears to be a vanilla type of motorcycle and yet with all of its features it shows great promise for motorcycling and even gets our heavy attention. Its almost as if the manufacturers are TRYING to earn our business.

It doesn't end with Honda...the redesign of the Ninja 650 and the smaller BMW G650GS show great promise in the upcoming years for beginning and intermediate riders.

More people will be entering our community and joining (or rejoining) locals like us. I'm pumped not only for this future growth, but also the industry's commitment to the vanilla-types who look at motorcycles as a practical form of transportation.

fizz_off

Reaction score
Visit site
We aint banning you mate I love the NT as well :thumbup: They are a fantastic bike & the turn of foot when you twist the throttle isnt lacking either :D My mates wife has one & he fitted it with a k&n filter , Akra slip-ons & a pcIII , sounds & goes like the clappers ;)

'kay, now that I've "fessed up" :D I'm really curious who bought my FizzyWhizzy??? It was gone inside of 2 weeks after I traded it in (I think) - the dealership is in Auburn, MA. I'm not callin' ya out on the internet (so to speak :thumbup:) just curious...hope "he" serves you well and you enjoy the mods/"farkles" I added :cheer: I'm pretty sure I've seen it on the roads around Auburn/Millbury/Worcester/Shrewsbury (with and w/o it's Givis) over the last few months :D

Ok...back on topic (and back to lurking mode since I'm not a "true" FZ6 rider any more).