A "lowered" FZ6S?

Wombat1940

Have bike, will travel
Reaction score
drop.io
I understand the 2007 FZ6S I am buying secondhand through a dealer was "lowered" for the previous owner (female) by the same dealer. They say about an inch (2.5cm). I'm 6ft but could not really sense the difference when sitting on the bike when compared to a new FZ6. However haven't ridden either.

Is a "lowered" bike a poor option for me (I am 68 years old) but 6ft and been only riding for 2 years (GS500)?

Do they use a lowering kit with the FZ6 or just drop the forks?

Should I get it returned to its factory size?

Thanks

YamahaMAXdRPMs

Jay- Tshirt Inventor Guy.
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
not sure about the FZ, but i know my buddy got his gsxr600 lowered and its just a bar that you put in place to bring the rear down... but im thinking he had to do it at the dealer, which would lead me to believe it might have to be taken off at the dealer (unless you are good with that stuff) me personally, if i dont know how it went on, i dont like to take it off... its easy enough to take it off, but if you dont know what it looked like before...

jamesfz6

The faster red one!
Reaction score
Visit site
If they did lower it. It usually has a lowering link in the back, once it is removed, you put the rear shock back in the spot the link came out of and its raised back up. The front couldt have been lowered too much unless they got rid of the stock handle bars. In order to raise it back up though you need to find someone who has done it before and knows what they are doing. Front forks that are not aligned affect handling and wear.

jamesfz6

The faster red one!
Reaction score
Visit site
not sure about the FZ, but i know my buddy got his gsxr600 lowered and its just a bar that you put in place to bring the rear down... but im thinking he had to do it at the dealer, which would lead me to believe it might have to be taken off at the dealer (unless you are good with that stuff) me personally, if i dont know how it went on, i dont like to take it off... its easy enough to take it off, but if you dont know what it looked like before...

Since our bikes have a center stand the lowering link in the back will be easy. 2 bolts and your done.

dako81

FZ Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The rear of the FZ cannot be lowered by a link. There is no "links" to replace. The bottom of the rear shock connects right to the swingarm, as does the top.

So, everyone that said anything about a link are wrong.

SS bikes (GSXR's R6's etc.) have a slightly different setup in the back with "dogbones", which are links. The FZ doesn't.

Here is a quote from a previous post about lowering:

The problem with finding a lowering kit for the FZ is the way the rear shock is mounted. This is a solid mount to the swingarm. Bikes like the SV650 have "dog bones" and you can get extended ones that lower the shock, thus lowering the bike overall. I'm curious about how they manage to make one for the FZ6 when the shock has a solid (non-link) mount both top and bottom. Whomever orders, please do post lots of pics! My wife is 5'2" and would love to have an FZ6. Best I can try is shaving the heck out of the seat, replacing the rear shock with the '04 R6 shock (1.25" drop) and then dropping the triples on the forks. This would get it down close to 3" from stock.

The "kit" that is available has a different end/housing/bushing to be installed on the stock coilover which reduces its overall length, in effect lowering the rear end.

You need to find out if this is what has been done, or if the spring preload has just been adjusted, along with lowering the triple clamps in respect to the forks. That's the easiest part to check, if the tops of the tubes are just about level with the top clamp on the triple clamp, the front has not been lowered. If they are sticking up out of the triple clamp by ~an inch or more, they have been lowered.

Good luck!

dako81

FZ Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
MetisseLoweringLink2.jpg

This is similar to what gets replaced on the bottom of the coilover. The overall length of this piece from the pin center to where it mounts to the shock is smaller than stock, in effect shortening the overall length of the stock coilover assembly, "lowering" the bike.

Lowering Kits / Links for Motorcycles. Wild Hair Accessories. Motorcycle Accessories & Aftermarket European Parts.

Here, I've even done more work to explain it to you.
This is a picture from this thread: http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/6037-metisse-lowering-kit.html

2700756128_31d650bc9f.jpg

See, NO LINKS

dako81

FZ Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Is a "lowered" bike a poor option for me (I am 68 years old) but 6ft and been only riding for 2 years (GS500)?
Should I get it returned to its factory size?

Thanks

At your age, if this bike and an exact twin of this bike, same age miles etc. were sitting next to each other, and this one was actually lowered correctly I would recommend the lowered bike because that extra little bit may help when you need it moving it around and whatnot. I came from a GS500 and the FZ is a bigger bike, so anything you can do to make it smaller.

Wombat1940

Have bike, will travel
Reaction score
drop.io
God what a great forum!!!

Thanks to all replies, particularly way to recognise a lowered FZ6. The dealer will (I think) revert it back to its original height, but if it handles easier if lowered and I don't feel cramped when riding I think that's for me. Hard to get the leg over these days .......... if you know what I mean ....... no jokes please ......... crude or otherwise.

Just thought if the bikes got the height why not use it, unless is harder to manage when stationary. Dropped the GS500 twice when moving manually.

bcityroller

Gear Whore
Reaction score
Visit site
If properly lowered the only real "negative" side effect would be reduced cornering clearance since the pegs and everything are closer to the ground. Unless you suspect that you'll be grinding off the peg feelers I can't think of any reason to avoid the lowered bike.

dako81

FZ Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
God what a great forum!!!

Thanks to all replies, particularly way to recognise a lowered FZ6. The dealer will (I think) revert it back to its original height, but if it handles easier if lowered and I don't feel cramped when riding I think that's for me. Hard to get the leg over these days .......... if you know what I mean ....... no jokes please ......... crude or otherwise.

Just thought if the bikes got the height why not use it, unless is harder to manage when stationary. Dropped the GS500 twice when moving manually.

You won't feel cramped, the egronomics will be exactly the same when sitting on the bike. The relationship of the seat to the bars to the pegs will be the same. The only difference is that when you put your feet down, they won't go down the extra inch or whatever, and you won't have to lift your leg the extra inch or whatever to get it over.

The reduced height should make it a little easier to move around, but I suggest that you sit on the bike when you move it if you've had problems before. There is less of a chance it can fall away from you, or on top of you.

Wombat1940

Have bike, will travel
Reaction score
drop.io
You won't feel cramped, the egronomics will be exactly the same when sitting on the bike. The relationship of the seat to the bars to the pegs will be the same. The only difference is that when you put your feet down, they won't go down the extra inch or whatever, and you won't have to lift your leg the extra inch or whatever to get it over.

The reduced height should make it a little easier to move around, but I suggest that you sit on the bike when you move it if you've had problems before. There is less of a chance it can fall away from you, or on top of you.

What do you think about ".....Unless you suspect that you'll be grinding off the peg feelers I can't think of any reason to avoid the lowered bike ......"
[Thanks Bcityroller]

bcityroller

Gear Whore
Reaction score
Visit site
Guess I could/should also add that my bike is lowered ~3/4 in in the front alone. I bought it used and the previous owner had dropped the forks a little - I had ridden for about 6 months before I even noticed as they didn't mention it. At the time I figured it wasn't causing problems so might as well leave it alone. It's been about two years now (that's all my riding experience) and I've never leaned enough to touch the peg feelers. I do appreciate the slightly lower height - I'm 5-10 and and it was nice to have that little extra help to be able to flat-foot while I was getting a feel for the bike and still every once and a while if the road is uneven.

Last edited:

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
Although you're quite a bit taller than me, I found riding and moving the bike when parking etc much easier after lowering the seat.

I have heard that the bike turns in quicker when it's lowered and is a bit more likely to get into a tank-slapper. Normally loads of people chime in with this comment when people talk about lowering so I'm not sure why no-one has yet.

If there is such little difference with it lowered I might do it to mine later down the road. The FZ6 is a pretty tall bike!

dako81

FZ Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
What do you think about ".....Unless you suspect that you'll be grinding off the peg feelers I can't think of any reason to avoid the lowered bike ......"
[Thanks Bcityroller]

If you're over that far you should either be on the track, or hanging off the bike instead of leaning with it, to keep the bike as vertical as possible. You have to ride pretty hard to drag the feelers.

Wombat1940

Have bike, will travel
Reaction score
drop.io
If you're over that far you should either be on the track, or hanging off the bike instead of leaning with it, to keep the bike as vertical as possible. You have to ride pretty hard to drag the feelers.

Thanks to all. I'm going to leave it lowered. I think its best for me. If I'm wrong then maybe I'll get it reverted to full height ........ maybe. I'm sure it will be other issues which I will need to address at my age and experience, without adding to them with it being normal height. Different thing if I was considering having it lowered.
Thanks again. :Sport:

Wombat1940

Have bike, will travel
Reaction score
drop.io
Thanks to all. I'm going to leave it lowered. I think its best for me. If I'm wrong then maybe I'll get it reverted to full height ........ maybe. I'm sure it will be other issues which I will need to address at my age and experience, without adding to them with it being normal height. Different thing if I was considering having it lowered.
Thanks again. :Sport:

I now found out how they have lowered my yet to be picked up FZ by the non kit way.

(1) The adjustment securing of the front forks to the wheel to lower by 1 inch
and
(2) Soften the rear shocker pre-load so that when the rider sits on the seat it drops by an inch.

Sounds all bloody elcheapo, dangerous and just plain stupid to me, particularly as I'm possibly much heavier, my carry a passenger and certainly I'm taller than the previous owner. Its surely got to effect the "handling, braking, riding, bump recovery, etc.?

However ....................... I can still revert it back to manufacture's release settings if necessary when I take, and if I take possession.

Edit: A mate thinks I should look at a Harley XL883 ...... I did on the net .................. :rof::shakehead::rof::shakehead: ............. :thumbdown: No offence you Harley boys, but its not me.

Any further, not previously mentioned input, would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I now found out how they have lowered my yet to be picked up FZ by the non kit way.

and
(2) Soften the rear shocker pre-load so that when the rider sits on the seat it drops by an inch.

Sounds all bloody elcheapo, dangerous and just plain stupid to me, particularly as I'm possibly much heavier, my carry a passenger and certainly I'm taller than the previous owner. Its surely got to effect the "handling, braking, riding, bump recovery, etc.?

However ....................... I can still revert it back to manufacture's release settings if necessary when I take, and if I take possession.

Edit: A mate thinks I should look at a Harley XL883 ...... I did on the net
.................. :rof::shakehead::rof::shakehead: ............. :thumbdown: No
offence you Harley boys, but its not me.

Oh please don't get a hardly dangerous...took a mates sportster for a ride recently...worst 2.5 hours of my riding life! They Don't handle, don't stop, and definitely don't go...the fz6 is about twenty times better at everything...oh and one more thing...the sportster I rode had forward mounted pegs....oh, my back...it was agony! Can ride the fz all day without too much grief...and I have a bad back...

dako81

FZ Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

and

Edit: A mate thinks I should look at a Harley XL883 ...... I did on the net .................. :rof::shakehead::rof::shakehead: ............. :thumbdown: No offence you Harley boys, but its not me.

The pre-load is simple to change. The FZ even comes with a spanner tool in the tool pouch to adjust the spring pre-load. It is adjusted by rotating the spring, since the top housing has a "stepped" adjustment to it. Really simple.

The forks, I would raise them back up. It's not that huge of an issue but the bike will turn quicker since what has been done effectively reduces the rake angle, and you would probably benefit from the bike being as forgiving as possible.

Sounds good. It's just adjustments that have been made. Nothing serious or bad at all.

Wombat1940

Have bike, will travel
Reaction score
drop.io
The pre-load is simple to change. The FZ even comes with a spanner tool in the tool pouch to adjust the spring pre-load. It is adjusted by rotating the spring, since the top housing has a "stepped" adjustment to it. Really simple.

The forks, I would raise them back up. It's not that huge of an issue but the bike will turn quicker since what has been done effectively reduces the rake angle, and you would probably benefit from the bike being as forgiving as possible.

Sounds good. It's just adjustments that have been made. Nothing serious or bad at all.

Yes, thanks Brad. Yes know all about the C spanner and adjustment. Already used it on my GS500 (stiffened it). I'll take your advice on the forks. Makes a lot of sense. In fact, on reflect, as each option is easy to do, I might have the bike returned to normal setting. Lets start with standard settings. Then I can "fiddle" if necessary after taking advice from the boys at this forum. The point being there will be no way I'm be going back to this "Dealership" after or if I take possession. Its not a Dealership its a Motorcycle Warehouse (that should be spelt Whore... not Ware....). I just want rid of them.